This time last year.......

DowsHawk

the football team had verbals from Morris, Poggi, Gray, and Ferguson. I'd hoped that the Orange Bowl win and how quickly last years class filled up would have given us an inside track to a big recruiting year this season.

To those in the know, how's the sense of the overall forecast for this years class compare to the feelings of the staff at this time last year? I know people cant talk specifics but should we expect to see marked improvements, similar results, or are we getting the feeling that some of our #1 options are headed another direction.

We are in the hunt for much bigger names than we were at this point in time last year, and leading with some big name guys. Wait until summer football camps hit before you start getting too worried. Most recruits wait until then to committ or make strong moves towards cutting the list down to a few. With bigger name recruits, also comes longer recruiting process... some of the top names will want to visit on game day before they verbal, even if we are #1 on the list, they want to see what it is like to be in Iowa City for a football game first. This is also why camps help, because they guys get to see the facilities, Iowa City, and meet the coaching staff in a real life situation, coaching.

Another thing to consider is that it was originally thought that the '10 recruiting class wasn't going to be a very big one either. That probably provided a little extra pressure on recruits because they knew that Iowa was going to fill up pretty early. As it turned out ... they were right.

As for the 2011 recruiting class, I expect for it to be very similar to the 2010 class. I expect it to be a very high quality class that is loaded with guys who the coaches really like.

My hope is that the Davis situation gets cleared up really soon - of course hoping he gets qualified. But, either way, it would be nice to know how hard the team will need to go after D-Line.

the football team had verbals from Morris, Poggi, Gray, and Ferguson. I'd hoped that the Orange Bowl win and how quickly last years class filled up would have given us an inside track to a big recruiting year this season.

To those in the know, how's the sense of the overall forecast for this years class compare to the feelings of the staff at this time last year? I know people cant talk specifics but should we expect to see marked improvements, similar results, or are we getting the feeling that some of our #1 options are headed another direction.

It's still early- we're not that far off numbers wise right now from the number we had at this point last year. 3 verbals vs. 4. And last year was unprecedented for us. Pretty exciting- should be a fun summer.

I wonder how much all this expansion talk has to do with the low number of commits as oppose to last year?Some guy's could be waiting to see where all the chips fall before making a decision,and it is a long way till Febuary.

I wonder how much all this expansion talk has to do with the low number of commits as oppose to last year?Some guy's could be waiting to see where all the chips fall before making a decision,and it is a long way till Febuary.

Nah, usually it's more around camp when we get our next group of commits.

Latest posts