This season feels like 1997

hawkincal

As someone who has followed Iowa football since 1969, I would already rank 2010 as one of the more frustrating seasons I can remember. From my perspective, it is much more frustrating when the team has high expectations than say the 1970s when I knew going into each year that the team would likely have a losing record.

In thinking about it, I would compare the 2010 season to 1997. In 1997, Iowa had a lot of experienced and talented returning players on a team that had very high expectations (coming off a 9-3 1996 season that ended with a 27-0 whitewash of Texas Tech in the Alamo Bowl). I remember thinking that the state of Iowa rarely produces skill players of the caliber of Tim Dwight or Tavian Banks, and in 97, the Hawks had both in their senior season. Matt Sherman was a senior quarterback who had been starting since the middle of his redshirt freshmen season. The Hawks had some very talented veterans returning on defense (Jared DeVries, Vernon Rollins). All in all, I really believed that the 1997 team was really going to have a great chance to win the Big Ten.

As it turned out, the Hawks lost every close game they played in 1997, including painful losses to Michigan, Wisconsin, and Northwestern (Hawks came from ahead to lose to the Wildcats 15-14). The Hawks suffered a key injury at linebacker (Rollins blew out his knee and never played again) and at QB (Sherman injured in the Michigan game). Despite having Dwight, Iowa's poor special teams play contributed to two of the losses (especially at Northwestern).

When it ended, the 97 team ended up with a disappointing 7-4 regular season, then was dominated by Arizona State in the Sun Bowl to finish 7-5. It was extremely frustrating as a fan, especially given the great career that Tim Dwight had at Iowa to see it end that way.

While I'm not saying that the Hawks will be 3-9 in 2011 (98 Hawks were 3-8, getting blown out in each of Hayden's final five games), I would say that Iowa football will be taking a step back in 2011, which adds to the feeling of frustration at what has occurred in 2010.

Very similar to that 1997 season, and just as disappointing. Winning out, including a victory over a very good bowl opponent, would make this season about equal to that 1997 season. If we lose one or two games, then this season will be lower than 1997. Both years had high expectations, but 2010 had a higher expectation for certain.

Now I agree on that part of your post, I do NOT agree with your view on the 2011 outlook. We lost all of our key players from 1997 in 1998.
In 2011, our offense should be better than the 2010 version. The offensive line returns everybody, but one starter and all but 2 in the 2-deep. That's huge. In fact, if our 2nd team o-line were to start and we would be just fine. We have JV moving in at QB. Vandy is just as talented as Stanzi, although he might not be as good of leader, he is much better at finding a secondary receiver. That skill right there would have won a game or two that we lost this season. The running backs all return. The receiver lose DJK, but Davis and others will fill the shoes just fine.
On defense, we lose Klug, CB & AC. That's big, but we return Daniels, Binns and Daniel. Daniels is a monster and Binns aint too shabby. I think we can find one more d-lineman to take the other spot. I am confident in that. Linebacker should be ok with Morris, DiBona, Nielsen, Davis, etc. DBs will have another season under their belts, not worried there. Greenwood will be replaced, again no worries there. That leaves us another kickA defense once again...

No worries about 2011. I think we will have just as good of a record as this season, with the potential to have an even better year.

On Iowa!

Why do you think Vandy finds the secondary receiver better then Stanzi? We saw Vandy in 3 games last year. One good game, still had 3 picks, and two not so good to say the least..

If we go 3-9 next year or even 5-7, KF will be firmly back on the hot seat.

It is incredibly hard to derail the train and put it back on the tracks which he has already done once. Doing so again would be unprecedented.

"Very similar to that 1997 season, and just as disappointing. Winning out, including a victory over a very good bowl opponent, would make this season about equal to that 1997 season. If we lose one or two games, then this season will be lower than 1997. Both years had high expectations, but 2010 had a higher expectation for certain."

I disagree. If we win out to finish with a 10-3 record, this will be regarded as a good season. I don't think anyone remembers the 1997 season as being good. And any team that has a good bowl win always carries momentum into the following season.

Last edited:
8-4 is what we need to have as our expectation of a good season...then, when we finish below that, it won't be as disappointing...and when we finish above that (cuz we had such great execution that particular season) then we will all be happy again. I'm done going into a season with hopes of the rose bowl. It's not worth the pain and agony.

It really is foolish for fans to let preseason expectations ruin their enjoyment of the season as it plays out. We just need to take each week as the gift that it is. We only get 12 a year to revel in.

I've been waiting for the '97 season post to come and even though their are similarities I think this will end a little bit differently.

In last 30 years that I have followed Iowa football I've seen Iowa check out mentally/emotionally in about 4 games: '94 Alamo bowl game, '97 Sun bowl, fatcat NW game, 3 quarters of the '07 W. Michigan game.

Iowa very well could lose 5 games this year, but they won't mentally/emotionally check out of the bowl game. You will get their best effort.

As for 2011, I'm pretty confident they will go bowling......Where will depend if they can get off to a 4-0 start in the non-conference.

It really is foolish for fans to let preseason expectations ruin their enjoyment of the season as it plays out. We just need to take each week as the gift that it is. We only get 12 a year to revel in.

RIGHT ON
expectations were too high given the performance on the field last year (losing to NW and OSU, getting scared by Indy, not dominating Ark St, almost losing to UNI) and player losses. (NFL tight end, 2 NFL llinebackers, NFL cornerback, 3 starting O.lineman)

So now were all ****** because most people were too stupid before the season started?