This Season "Can" Turn on a Dime IF JVB Can Do 2 Things...

HawkeyeShane

I hope JVB peeks at the boards once in a while, because this is quite simple and he has already seemingly addressed the first one of these (somewhat) in the Northwestern game...

1. Stop throwing the ball before you've even finished dropping back! There's no reason to fire the ball out of your hand at the 2.5 second count every play, especially if there is still a good pocket around you! (I know, it seems simple) A LOT of people call this "Letting the play develop"...try it!

2. Stop locking in on the first option! In fact...the last offensive play the Hawks ran yesterday is the PERFECT example of what I'm talking about (there have been many, MANY examples but it's the latest and freshest). The second the ball was snapped and JVB dropped back, the deep safety started running to his left to cover that sideline. Why? Because JVB locks onto a target like a F-22...

Now here's where the offense can REALLY take off! EVERY team in whatever division we're in knows that he does it! Yesterday it left CJ wide open down the middle and had JVB exercised points 1 and 2 in the same play (Yes, that really is possible! LOTS of QBs do it!), it would've been 6! So if James so chooses he can use what other teams know against them from here on out! How? By doing what A LOT of people call "looking off the coverage" or "going through your progressions" (It's the same thing as looking a guy off, but unintentional because you're just looking for the open dude!)...try this too!

Seriously...at this point, what've we got to lose...besides more games against bad Big10 teams, that is...

Ok people, I've vented...get back to your Ferentz bashing!

I agree Shane. In fact that was my exact thought this morning. if JVB would just check out Shane from Marshalltown he would have all the game planning and meth he needs!

I agree Shane. In fact that was my exact thought this morning. if JVB would just check out Shane from Marshalltown he would have all the game planning and meth he needs!
I wouldn't touch meth even if it was to shove it down your throat...but you can't throw an illegal immigrant around here without hitting a tweaker...that's for sure! :p

I hope JVB peeks at the boards once in a while, because this is quite simple and he has already seemingly addressed the first one of these (somewhat) in the Northwestern game...

1. Stop throwing the ball before you've even finished dropping back! There's no reason to fire the ball out of your hand at the 2.5 second count every play, especially if there is still a good pocket around you! (I know, it seems simple) A LOT of people call this "Letting the play develop"...try it!

2. Stop locking in on the first option! In fact...the last offensive play the Hawks ran yesterday is the PERFECT example of what I'm talking about (there have been many, MANY examples but it's the latest and freshest). The second the ball was snapped and JVB dropped back, the deep safety started running to his left to cover that sideline. Why? Because JVB locks onto a target like a F-22...

Now here's where the offense can REALLY take off! EVERY team in whatever division we're in knows that he does it! Yesterday it left CJ wide open down the middle and had JVB exercised points 1 and 2 in the same play (Yes, that really is possible! LOTS of QBs do it!), it would've been 6! So if James so chooses he can use what other teams know against them from here on out! How? By doing what A LOT of people call "looking off the coverage" or "going through your progressions" (It's the same thing as looking a guy off, but unintentional because you're just looking for the open dude!)...try this too!

Seriously...at this point, what've we got to lose...besides more games against bad Big10 teams, that is...

Ok people, I've vented...get back to your Ferentz bashing!
He's a 5th year senior with nearly 2 seasons starting under his belt.

You think he's just going to suddenly start doing these things now?

He has two bad defenses to practice these two points. Hopefully he can improve enough to get us a couple W's, and some momentum going into Mich and Nebby.

He has two bad defenses to practice these two points. Hopefully he can improve enough to get us a couple W's, and some momentum going into Mich and Nebby.

And NW was like 119th in teh FBS against teh pass going into yesterday's game. Not gonna happen with JVB. We are gonn have to win ugly, like in East Lansing, if we want to win.

I am afraid....we suck. Our defense is rolling backwards. The biggest thing I see with our defense is lack of speed. As I watched Michigan vs Nebraska I noticed just how slow we are. Our offense is not going to get any continuity this year with the injuries, and poor QB play. Pure and simple name the last time Iowa succeeded on a national stage with an Iowa born QB.

And NW was like 119th in teh FBS against teh pass going into yesterday's game. Not gonna happen with JVB. We are gonn have to win ugly, like in East Lansing, if we want to win.

Granted JVB didnt' play the best yesteday. He missed on some bad throws, locked in on occasion, and if I remember... fumbled the ball again. But he did make some good throws (recievers dropped several easy ones), and did go through progressions sometimes. One could argue that he did play well enough to win ugly. I would put yesterdays loss on the D and special teams.

I am afraid....we suck. Our defense is rolling backwards. The biggest thing I see with our defense is lack of speed. As I watched Michigan vs Nebraska I noticed just how slow we are. Our offense is not going to get any continuity this year with the injuries, and poor QB play. Pure and simple name the last time Iowa succeeded on a national stage with an Iowa born QB.
Were his initials "N. K."???

Granted JVB didnt' play the best yesteday. He missed on some bad throws, locked in on occasion, and if I remember... fumbled the ball again. But he did make some good throws (recievers dropped several easy ones), and did go through progressions sometimes. One could argue that he did play well enough to win ugly. I would put yesterdays loss on the D and special teams.
True...there's no guaranteeing that Iowa scores on those drives, but those drops were killers.

Randy Duncan from DM Roosevelt the only time we were ranked number one under Forest Evachevski......

Quite a while ago: 1958

Latest posts