This one stung becuase

NCHawker

for the first time in over a year, we saw an Iowa team look competent enough on offense for long enough to get our hopes up that they could move the ball and score. But then we saw the same damn play being run over and over in 4Q and see it get stuffed and see them going back to it.

Obviously they were only trying to run clock, not score. This pisses me off. I wonder if KF was telling TL to do this.

If I'm the OC I'd ask myself if I really want this job.

There's always women's basketball

I will comment on this. I have tried to watch a couple of WNBA games and it was painful to watch. What it is and what it has always been. The equivalent of watching a Todd Lickliter offense. Sloppy ball handling, air balls, shots clanking off the rim. Just sad.

I can say it was so poor in quality in comparison to watching the women’s NCAA tournament games. I have to ask WTF????? The quality in watching one over the other is ridiculous. One is fun to watch and the other is………… shall we say………….. WTF. If I am going to spend time watching women’s basketball then I am spending my time on the women’s NCAA tournament.

for the first time in over a year, we saw an Iowa team look competent enough on offense for long enough to get our hopes up that they could move the ball and score. But then we saw the same damn play being run over and over in 4Q and see it get stuffed and see them going back to it.

Obviously they were only trying to run clock, not score. This pisses me off. I wonder if KF was telling TL to do this.

If I'm the OC I'd ask myself if I really want this job.
We looked competent until Iowa State realized that Iowa was going to eat the 3-3-5 alive on the ground. That defense works in the Big 12 because it's a passing league. Once they realized that they needed 8 in the box and they just needed to stop the run and make Cade beat us, we showed what the next 10 opponents need to do.

We looked competent until Iowa State realized that Iowa was going to eat the 3-3-5 alive on the ground. That defense works in the Big 12 because it's a passing league. Once they realized that they needed 8 in the box and they just needed to stop the run and make Cade beat us, we showed what the next 10 opponents need to do.

They had 10 in the box on first down and we ran right into it.

Same as it ever was. Stack the line, stop the run (they didn't the entire game but it was enough) and make the QB pass the ball and fail. So we cannot pass, QB cannot run and we are one dimensional. Easy game plan to duplicate for D coordinators for the next 12 games.

I will comment on this. I have tried to watch a couple of WNBA games and it was painful to watch. What it is and what it has always been. The equivalent of watching a Todd Lickliter offense. Sloppy ball handling, air balls, shots clanking off the rim. Just sad.

I can say it was so poor in quality in comparison to watching the women’s NCAA tournament games. I have to ask WTF????? The quality in watching one over the other is ridiculous. One is fun to watch and the other is………… shall we say………….. WTF. If I am going to spend time watching women’s basketball then I am spending my time on the women’s NCAA tournament.
My brother in law was the exact same. And I agree it was extremely hard to watch especially the first 15 games of the fever as they tried to figure it out. That said we haven’t missed watching a fever game and even got to witness Clark break the wnba single game assist record live in Dallas. The fever have completed turned things around and play a lot like the hawks now. They run the floor, push the pace, and Clark constantly dropping times to bigs running the floor in transition. For the first 15 or so games no one could catch her laser quick passes but now they do & are fun to watch. There are definitely still aspects of the wnba I can’t stand and a lot of it revolves around the horrible officiating and the stoppage of games for reviews which even when the call is obvious takes WAY too long. Fever are in the playoffs and have a really good chance at making a run.

Last edited:
My brother in law was the exact same. And I agree it was extremely hard to watch especially the first 15 games of the fever as they tried to figure it out. That said we haven’t missed watching a fever game and even got to witness Clark break the wnba single season assist record live in Dallas. The fever have completed turned things around and play a lot like the hawks now. They run the floor, push the pace, and Clark constantly dropping times to bigs running the floor in transition. For the first 15 or so games no one could catch her laser quick passes but now they do & are fun to watch. There are definitely still aspects of the wnba I can’t stand and a lot of it revolves around the horrible officiating and the stoppage of games for reviews which even when the call is obvious takes WAY too long. Fever are in the playoffs and have a really good chance at making a run.

To clarify it was not a game Kait was playing in or the team she belongs to. I just came across a game and watched it. Was disappointed in what I saw.

It’s so fun to watch Kait drop those deep bombs and to throw those pinpoint passes that create the many assist she gets. My wife and I really enjoyed watching her playing for Iowa. We have talked about planning on a trip down to Vegas and are trying to figure out a time that may work with my wife’s work schedule and at the same time to time it with the WNBA team there when they may be playing the team Kait plays on.

Still suffering from the football loss. I really hoped to see Iowa football finally be in the play offs. Very shocked by the failure of the defense and offense. Now we will need to run the table from here on out.

Works in the old West division but not likely to be good odds competing against the win/loss records of the top three or four teams in the conference that may be invited. I know it’s a non-conference game but this loss is not going to help things.

Is it impossible? No, because it’s a non-conference loss. Hate to say it but it now helps Iowa’s chances if Iowa State runs the table. That would make the loss not as bad.

EXTREMELY disappointing. More so by the TWO MASSIVE mistakes the defense made to allow both the long TD pass and on the long pass to get behind our defense to get in the winning field goal position.

In a podcast it was stated that Iowa has a kicker who has kicked 65 yard field goals. It would have been tough since there was a slight wind against the attempt and it would have been a 67 yard attempt, but what the hell it had to be better than the Hail Mary that wasn’t even close.

The only enjoyment of this past week was the Michigan thrashing and Notre Dame losses. :)

Yeah it sure stunk alright... For lots of reasons. Could be worse I suppose. ND fans sure aren't waking up very happy today. Imagine being a long time Colorado fan. They can't be happy with selling their soul to the devil that is Deion.

What's worse? Being irrelevant and bad or being irrelevant bad and having everything that is the Sanders experience so far? That whole Sanders thing is a train wreck.

Admittedly I've only watched the Fever but I've been impressed with the quality of play.

Yeah it sure stunk alright... For lots of reasons. Could be worse I suppose. ND fans sure aren't waking up very happy today. Imagine being a long time Colorado fan. They can't be happy with selling their soul to the devil that is Deion.

What's worse? Being irrelevant and bad or being irrelevant bad and having everything that is the Sanders experience so far? That whole Sanders thing is a train wreck.
I wonder what the good folks in Boulder will be thinking in the next year or two, when the are left to pick up the pieces?

Also, how 'bout Michigan?

Nearly every team does the same against Iowa. Going to games last year, it was pretty wild to see the entire defense within 5 yards of the LOS at times. Other teams should, and will, do this against Iowa until it burns them (which it likely won't).

When Purdue had our number for a couple of years, they did this to an extreme. Just really dared Iowa to throw over them, which they couldn't.

Play calling could definitely have been more creative and aggressive, but as it was, there were probably at least 3 plays where we had WRs running wide open down the field for what would have been TDs if we had a capable QB. Combine that with the inexplicable interception, and it feels like the QB position cost us at least 14 points in a game we lost by 1.

And don't chase the points with a 2pt conversion in the 3rd quarter when each team probably has 4 possessions left (I saw you rail on this in the moment within the game thread)! You go for 2 when there are likely only 1 or 2 possessions left, and when there is not a significant difference between getting the 1 or failing on the 2, but there is a significant difference in securing the 2 (e.g. it puts you up by an additional possession, or it forces them to get a TD instead of a FG). When you have no idea how the next 1.5 quarters are going to play out, you take the highest % points available. Two weeks in a row they messed that up.

The biggest ”sting” for me was our inability to be effective in the red zone. This is on the coaches. The preparations by coaches for these situations should be golden. And, of course, the players must be held to a very high level of accountability. Neither of those requirements were met. Frankly, our D failed miserably at absolutely critical times. And Parker was no help.

Play calling could definitely have been more creative and aggressive, but as it was, there were probably at least 3 plays where we had WRs running wide open down the field for what would have been TDs if we had a capable QB. Combine that with the inexplicable interception, and it feels like the QB position cost us at least 14 points in a game we lost by 1.

And don't chase the points with a 2pt conversion in the 3rd quarter when each team probably has 4 possessions left (I saw you rail on this in the moment within the game thread)! You go for 2 when there are likely only 1 or 2 possessions left, and when there is not a significant difference between getting the 1 or failing on the 2, but there is a significant difference in securing the 2 (e.g. it puts you up by an additional possession, or it forces them to get a TD instead of a FG). When you have no idea how the next 1.5 quarters are going to play out, you take the highest % points available. Two weeks in a row they messed that up.
Exactly. Great post.

Cade missed Gill in the end zone once. That alone would've won the game.
The failed two point conversion also played a role in the loss.

In any event, you're not going to beat good teams by settling for FGs when you're on the opponent's 3 yard line TWICE.

Latest posts