This offense

Go read the Oklahoma message boards, particularly the Rivals board, and you'll find plenty of threads about the kid being a high-maintenance drama queen.

I mean, the kid got benched for half a game and removed anything OU from his social media, then put it back on. He also walked off the field alone immediately after the game instead of celebrating with his teammates. You really think someone that immature would be a good fit here?

And as far as not answering questions, how bout you answer me about what I asked you...

What happens when (hypothetically because it'd NEVER happen) KF went and picked up Rattler from the portal and the rest of our QB room leaves, at the very least two of them. What you gonna do then when Rattler doesn't work out? Go shopping in the portal again? You think Padilla and Hogan would stick around if that shit happened? Especially when Rattler has more eligibility than they do? And what would keep Spencer here? Any of those guys can and potentially would transfer for immediate playing time somewhere else if Iowa suggested they were gonna have a new Diva ahead of them. What would that do to future recruiting? I'll give you three guesses but the first two don't count. Blue bloods can get away with that shit because there's always three or four highly rated recruits ready to sign on. We ain't a blue blood, pal.

Think about how football works and how those things affect teams for chrissakes.. It's not as simple as just going to the transfer portal every time your main guy loses a single game.
If Rattler beats them out do we care? Best talent should play, there is no fair....We'll get new guys to sit on the bench and not play until their senior year or ever.

If Rattler beats them out do we care?
Are you being serious or trolling?

Beathard, Stanzi, Tate, and Stanley were all backups at one point and learned the system in practice

You’re seriously suggesting if we got some new guy to test drive and our other guys left, leaving no backups with practice reps, that that’s okay?

Go read the Oklahoma message boards, particularly the Rivals board, and you'll find plenty of threads about the kid being a high-maintenance drama queen.

I mean, the kid got benched for half a game and removed anything OU from his social media, then put it back on. He also walked off the field alone immediately after the game instead of celebrating with his teammates. You really think someone that immature would be a good fit here?

And as far as not answering questions, how bout you answer me about what I asked you...

What happens when (hypothetically because it'd NEVER happen) KF went and picked up Rattler from the portal and the rest of our QB room leaves, at the very least two of them. Go shopping in the portal again? You think Padilla and Hogan would stick around if that shit happened? Especially when Rattler has more eligibility than they do? And what would keep Spencer here? Any of those guys can and potentially would transfer for immediate playing time somewhere else if Iowa suggested they were gonna have a new Diva ahead of them. What would that do to future recruiting? I'll give you three guesses but the first two don't count. Blue bloods can get away with that shit because there's always three or four highly rated recruits ready to sign on. We ain't a blue blood, pal.

Think about how football works and how those things affect teams for chrissakes.. It's not as simple as just going to the transfer portal every time your main guy loses a single game.
> What you gonna do then when Rattler doesn't work out?
Well, they're going to have to transfer before we know we have him for the room to be empty, first of all. Second of all, since all of this is wild speculation, you don't know that it wouldn't work out. You do know that he's got good college starting stats compared with what we have currently, which is more than you can say about any of our current non-qb1s. You don't know that he wouldn't buy into an NFL-like offense since that's his stated goal. You're guessing just like me.

> You really think someone that immature would be a good fit here?
After the coach went on an all-out media interview that morning with GameDay and they interviewed Spencer about fan expectations and reality (he gave really good answers btw) and about being booed by his own crowd (sickening) , then to have all those haters payed off in front of your eyes at home, then have people spy on practice at your school to report Caleb Williams was getting more 1st team reps and have those same booing people cheer it after the school paper reports it, his reaction is to walk off the field alone and change his social media. That's immature? JFC. He's a damned competitor, not an angel. It's o.k. for him to be bummed in the situation he was in. If you got demoted, you'd be pissed off too, and you'd probably do something you'd regret.

> Go read the Oklahoma message boards, particularly the Rivals board, and you'll find plenty of threads about the kid being a high-maintenance drama queen.
So not only is Oklahoma's program better than ours, their fans are smarter and their criticism of their qb is more than ours too. Got it. Also, these were the same type of people as I am, calling for a new qb because things weren't working the way they wanted. I'd love to be calling for some new tackles, but we didn't recruit any and there's not a legitimate Outland Trophy candidate looking like he's going to transfer right now.

> at the very least two of them.
Wait, I thought our guys were team guys, so they'd stick around? Because only primadonnas don't when they lose their jobs.

You seem to be under the impression that I think Petras sucks. I don't. I think his arm is amazing. I think he's an excellent leader, and I've said as much. I think he's the wrong type of qb for the line that we have today, and barring a miracle, will have next year.

I know Petras can't move the pocket, and that is one way to buy an additional second to throw the ball when you can't hold the blocks and not have to wait for two years of development (by which time Petras will have graduated). The other ways are to get the ball out in two seconds (his release isn't fast enough for that that I have seen), and to run draws and screens that catch people out of position. know he can't scramble for first downs or run draws. He might even be too slow for setting up the screen with this line. Rattler can get those hidden yards. He can move in the pocket. He might not be able to throw it one time a game downfield like Petras, and I highly doubt he's the leader that Petras clearly is.

But as many have said before, Iowa doesn't need a great qb. They don't need a leader at qb. They need a player that can make the plays they are asked to make the few times they are asked to make them.

Hogan and Padilla might be able to as well, but we've seen that they can't throw even when there's no pressure to perform.
The person you should be pissed at is yourself for believing the crap the polls put out there about us being #2. If you believed that ridiculous ranking that's on you, not the Hawkeyes. Be real.

You're mad about something that was literally staring you in the face if you watched any of the preceding games.

Never said this team wasn't good. At all. That's false.

Also, it's very apparent that we didn't deserve that ranking, and yep...I warned about a meltdown. Which you and your meltdown gang so predictably provided us.

At the end of the day, all you do is spew on and on about how the Hawks suck, which I quoted in an earlier post 8 or 10 examples of (a small fraction of your posts like that), and you only seem to speak up when the Hawks have a bad game. Would you loke me to quote 15 or 20 more examples of your Hawkeye bashing?

So I asked why you don't find a team that lives up to your expectations, since the Hawkeyes apparently havent in the last 42 years or so. What's so wrong with that?
Quote away. But put the whole quote. You're the one enjoying and reveling in a loss so you could say I told you so.

Well, they're going to have to transfer before we know we have him for the room to be empty, first of all. Second of all, since all of this is wild speculation, you don't know that it wouldn't work out. You do know that he's got good college starting stats compared with what we have currently, which is more than you can say about any of our current non-qb1s. You don't know that he wouldn't buy into an NFL-like offense since that's his stated goal. You're guessing just like me.

After the coach went on an all-out media interview that morning with GameDay and they interviewed Spencer about fan expectations and reality (he gave really good answers btw) and about being booed by his own crowd (sickening) , then to have all those haters payed off in front of your eyes at home, then have people spy on practice at your school to report Caleb Williams was getting more 1st team reps and have those same booing people cheer it after the school paper reports it, his reaction is to walk off the field alone and change his social media. That's immature? JFC. He's a damned competitor, not an angel. It's o.k. for him to be bummed in the situation he was in. If you got demoted, you'd be pissed off too, and you'd probably do something you'd regret.

> Go read the Oklahoma message boards, particularly the Rivals board, and you'll find plenty of threads about the kid being a high-maintenance drama queen.
So not only is Oklahoma's program better than ours, their fans are smarter and their criticism of their qb is more than ours too. Got it. Also, these were the same type of people as I am, calling for a new qb because things weren't working the way they wanted. I'd love to be calling for some new tackles, but we didn't recruit any and there's not a legitimate Outland Trophy candidate looking like he's going to transfer right now.

Wait, I thought our guys were team guys, so they'd stick around? Because only primadonnas don't when they lose their jobs.

You seem to be under the impression that I think Petras sucks. I don't. I think his arm is amazing. I think he's an excellent leader, and I've said as much. I think he's the wrong type of qb for the line that we have today, and barring a miracle, will have next year.

I know Petras can't move the pocket, and that is one way to buy an additional second to throw the ball when you can't hold the blocks and not have to wait for two years of development (by which time Petras will have graduated). The other ways are to get the ball out in two seconds (his release isn't fast enough for that that I have seen), and to run draws and screens that catch people out of position. know he can't scramble for first downs or run draws. He might even be too slow for setting up the screen with this line. Rattler can get those hidden yards. He can move in the pocket. He might not be able to throw it one time a game downfield like Petras, and I highly doubt he's the leader that Petras clearly is.

But as many have said before, Iowa doesn't need a great qb. They don't need a leader at qb. They need a player that can make the plays they are asked to make the few times they are asked to make them.

Hogan and Padilla might be able to as well, but we've seen that they can't throw even when there's no pressure to perform.

Quote away. But put the whole quote. You're the one enjoying and reveling in a loss so you could say I told you so.
Here, I'll help you:

https://forum.hawkeyenation.com/search/86390/?q=F&c[users]=cincyhawk&o=date

Last edited:

If your argument is that you like Spencer and think he's got an amazing arm and leadership skills then why would you want Rattler on your radar as a potential future fix? The oline issues are an immediate concern, but I think our staff has shown that over time that they can develop linemen and they'll get better and gel just like those before them. If that is the issue then I don't see a need to bring in a transfer QB as the linemen should improve as they get better over time. I think the issue is what can our OC do now to get Spencer more time so his receivers can get open.

If your argument is that you like Spencer and think he's got an amazing arm and leadership skills then why would you want Rattler on your radar as a potential future fix? The oline issues are an immediate concern, but I think our staff has shown that over time that they can develop linemen and they'll get better and gel just like those before them. If that is the issue then I don't see a need to bring in a transfer QB as the linemen should improve as they get better over time. I think the issue is what can our OC do now to get Spencer more time so his receivers can get open.
It's that I think we need to be able to scramble and move the pocket, and I don't think DeJeong is going to get much bigger and stronger now that he's had 3 years in the program, and that there is a qb available on the waiver wire potentially that we know could fit the bill. Two actually, with NDs backup entering the portal yesterday.

The offensive analyst for Iowa has said that we need to practice flush drills with Petras. I don't think he has the legs to run that style of offense, and with less than two seconds to throw the ball most of the time his other tangible skills are moot.

If there were a couple starting tackles available, that would be better, I agree, because then we could ride out what we have at qb and use his strengths. It's just not the current rumor mill.

AKA - I'm grasping at hypothetical scenarios that aren't all that likely to succeed, because we have a Jimmie's and Joe's problem at the tackle position, not an xs and os problem. And neither are this year fixes, anpads.

This year its going to take a smarter football mind than mine to solve how to do it without switching offensive styles...

That problem will get better in a couple years on one end of the line, but not this year or next because of the time needed to put on enough weight to prevent further Karlaftis bull rush problems, and the probability that by lifting time period averages DeJeong is already in advanced muscle growth period of training 3 years in, where you can expect about a half LB per year of muscle growth sans peds.

If Rattler beats them out do we care? Best talent should play, there is no fair....We'll get new guys to sit on the bench and not play until their senior year or ever.
Ok we brought in a power forward from the portal in basketball, did everyone transfer? No, well one did and a walk on tried but the rest of the team is staying and competing. Why is football different? Oliver transferred here and no wide receivers transferred. I didn't say recruit him but if he wanted to come to Iowa I wouldn't say "no way!". Our last two back-ups transferred instead of waiting for their turn, what makes anyone think Hogan or Alex are gonna wait for theirs?

“2004”

17 years is a long time in any power five conference.

We are long over due. This would be a great year to see that streak broken.

Fuk the buckeyes!

Correct answer. Ferentz has a higher winning percentage and scoring average than Fry, in a much tougher college football landscape.

It’s like I said earlier on HN, the first loss was going to be meltdown city and I was right. 6-1, leading the west, and these nebraska-esque, mouth-breathing Rubes wanna fire everyone. Bunch a tools who can’t look at facts instead of being pissed off.

Who they should be pissed off at is themselves for believing the hype the media was feeding them about being #2 in the country. You guys mad about this loss got trolled by yourselves. Funny how you only put your homer glasses on and post here when things look bad.

I think it is a mistake to compare scoring averages of the last 15 years to scoring averages in 1980s-1997. It was just a few years ago that Baylor-TCU was something like 70-64. Spread, fast paced offenses have dramatically increased scoring. Maybe the better measure is to compare 5 year segments of Fry's Iowa teams average scoring vs average Div 1 scoring and then do the same for Kirk's teams. This type of comparison would more likely boil down the various hawk offenses compared to their own times and a look at the differential might show Kirk's teams seem to average more but Kirk's teams have a bigger negative differential than Fry's teams.

And one could say the difference in the college football landscape also includes a negative dilution in defensive play.

So....Wisconsin is currently on a 3 game win streak with a QB that's averaging 88 yards/game and 0 TDs. o_O I'm not sure whose offense can score on Saturday.

Brad Banks had one of the best o-lines in history in front of him. I'd be curious how he would have done on this team. I think I would take Drew Tate over Banks given the choice.
I could see that being a debate.... If you could put Tates firery attitude into Banks I think that'd be about perfect. Tate didn't have Banks overall speed/athleticism. Their arms were pretty close. I don't think eithers was overly stronger or more accurate then the other. I just wish we'd have had Banks for 1 more year a a starter. That'd have been fun

I think it is a mistake to compare scoring averages of the last 15 years to scoring averages in 1980s-1997. It was just a few years ago that Baylor-TCU was something like 70-64. Spread, fast paced offenses have dramatically increased scoring. Maybe the better measure is to compare 5 year segments of Fry's Iowa teams average scoring vs average Div 1 scoring and then do the same for Kirk's teams. This type of comparison would more likely boil down the various hawk offenses compared to their own times and a look at the differential might show Kirk's teams seem to average more but Kirk's teams have a bigger negative differential than Fry's teams.

And one could say the difference in the college football landscape also includes a
Brad Banks had one of the best o-lines in history in front of him. I'd be curious how he would have done on this team. I think I would take Drew Tate over Banks given the choice.
Wow that would be a tough choice, but I would take banks because of his advantage is speed………. Especially with our current offering line. Both QB’s were good at extending the play with their feet, but banks was quicker while Tate may have been a little more accurate. Yah know they don’t just make everyone a Heisman runner up.

I could see that being a debate.... If you could put Tates firery attitude into Banks I think that'd be about perfect. Tate didn't have Banks overall speed/athleticism. Their arms were pretty close. I don't think eithers was overly stronger or more accurate then the other. I just wish we'd have had Banks for 1 more year a a starter. That'd have been fun
I’d take Brad Banks type QB for the last 21 years. Eff the game manager quarterbacks. Brad made it fun to watch.

Can’t help but to wonder what would have happened that first year when He was given the reigns if we had good running backs. I don’t think we would have liked the answer to that question. The lack of running backs FORCED Kirk to have to throw the ball far more than what was normal. That of course set Brad up for the following year.

That USC game started out right…………. and it went down hill after the kickoff return. Can’t explain what was with Brad that game. Yes they had a quick defense, but that didn’t explain drilling the ball into the ground to wide open receivers.

Wow that would be a tough choice, but I would take banks because of his advantage is speed………. Especially with our current offering line. Both QB’s were good at extending the play with their feet, but banks was quicker while Tate may have been a little more accurate. Yah know they don’t just make everyone a Heisman runner up.
Brad ran a 4.7 40, compared to a 4.8 for Tate, not that big of a difference. I love Brad Banks but he had one of the best supporting casts as far as receivers, Oline and RBs that Iowa has had in the Ferentz era. I think he would struggle without those pieces (this year's team) around him more than Tate would, that's all I'm saying.

Can’t help but to wonder what would have happened that first year when He was given the reigns if we had good running backs. I don’t think we would have liked the answer to that question. The lack of running backs FORCED Kirk to have to throw the ball far more than what was normal. That of course set Brad up for the following year.
If you're talking 2001 when Banks split time later in the year with Kyle McCann, I would say that Ladell Betts was a pretty good running back.. The following year in '02 Jermelle Lewis and Freddie Russell were pretty good too.

Brad ran a 4.7 40, compared to a 4.8 for Tate, not that big of a difference. I love Brad Banks but he had one of the best supporting casts as far as receivers, Oline and RBs that Iowa has had in the Ferentz era. I think he would struggle without those pieces (this year's team) around him more than Tate would, that's all I'm saying.
Banks was that slow? I figured he was like a low 4.6ish guy. I know it's only .1 but it's somewhat significant. We ran him some on the option and designed QB draws more so then Tate. He was more comfortable doing it anyway. So if anything Banks added that dimension to the O. Tate could ad-lib in the backfield and still make plays downfield really well. He thrived on that it seemed like. What I wouldn't give for Petras to have a fraction of either of their pocket pressence.

If you're talking 2001 when Banks split time later in the year with Kyle McCann, I would say that Ladell Betts was a pretty good running back.. The following year in '02 Jermelle Lewis and Freddie Russell were pretty good too.
Maybe I am getting the two mixed up as one had to deal with very little supporting cast due to injured running backs. Would love to have either one at QB today.

Banks was that slow? I figured he was like a low 4.6ish guy. I know it's only .1 but it's somewhat significant. We ran him some on the option and designed QB draws more so then Tate. He was more comfortable doing it anyway. So if anything Banks added that dimension to the O. Tate could ad-lib in the backfield and still make plays downfield really well. He thrived on that it seemed like. What I wouldn't give for Petras to have a fraction of either of their pocket pressence.
Also, it’s not just speed but allusiveness is vitally important if not more important.

Latest posts