This offense

That 2009 season, with Shonn Greene in the picture, could have been a truly historic season. Very good team as it was, but who knows how high they could have flown with Greene in the backfield.
Glad once again to call a player out for greatness when he was just a freshman and no saw it coming. I should go into recruiting.

Still smells like overreaction to a bad loss. If we stink it up at Camp Randall and that 3-4 alignment and at NW where Fitz will send everyone but Sister Jean after Petras, then I will worry. We have some negative recent history against both, but for some reason we seem to play jNW better over in Evanston.

Glad once again to call a player out for greatness when he was just a freshman and no saw it coming. I should go into recruiting.
I called Julius Brents out for greatness after his freshman year.

OOPS!

To bad, we could have used good Julius last week.

Not sure how anyone can can defend our offense. What’s it been the last ten years on the average ……………. In the 70’s or less as far as rank? Yes we rank alright……….. Google search……….rank-smelling - having an offensive rancid odor. Lol,

If our defense was as shitty as our offenses we would be a bottom dweller in the conference. Oh never mind we are last in offense. Good grief!!!

Correct answer. Ferentz has a higher winning percentage and scoring average than Fry, in a much tougher college football landscape.

It’s like I said earlier on HN, the first loss was going to be meltdown city and I was right. 6-1, leading the west, and these nebraska-esque, mouth-breathing Rubes wanna fire everyone. Bunch a tools who can’t look at facts instead of being pissed off.

Who they should be pissed off at is themselves for believing the hype the media was feeding them about being #2 in the country. You guys mad about this loss got trolled by yourselves. Funny how you only put your homer glasses on and post here when things look bad.
You make way too much sense way too often. You are the mod that HN needs but doesn't deserve.

Its a free country but, if some of these people's online personas are to be taken seriously, I can't imagine Hawk fandom being anything but abject misery for some of these people.

I still need to clean it up, but I did a (IMO) enlightening visual on Iowa's historical Massey ratings going back to 1899. As it relates to my current point, the only Iowa season over the last 40 - 40!!! - years that you can make a case for as being truly bad within the context of both program history and college football at large is 1999. Every other season going back to 1980 fell between slightly above or slightly below average.

If you're old enough to remember FXL or Evy, then you're qualified to talk to me about elite/terrible Iowa football (and I'd love to hear your stories, btw!) If, on the other hand, the only two coaches you've known are Fry and Ferentz, well then I have news for you: you've been cheering for the world's okayest college football program all along. Any notions you have of having seen an elite or terrible team (again, save for 1999) are simply delusions. Did not happen anywhere but your mind.

Same goes for Ferentz as went for Fry - their greatness doesn't lie in fielding great teams in absolute terms, but rather managing to field more-or-less competitive teams not just year after year, but decade after decade.

If you want great in absolute terms, you have 3 options:

1. Build a time machine, travel back to 1960, get yourself a crew cut and a swell IOWA pennant.
2. Find a different team to root for. Alabama is great every year. Teams like USC could be great again almost overnight with the right coach.
3. Root for MAJOR changes in the competitive landscape of college football.

Whatever ills you've diagnosed (either real or imagined) with this year's team, just remember, within the big picture, you're just seeing the latest edition of the same product we've been watching for the last 40 seasons (+/- a bit of a margin).

I would have LOVED to make the CFP. But I also wouldn't have been under any kind of understanding other than the knowledge that we had fallen ass backwards into the privilege. Staying within 4 TDs of a Bama or Georgia would have been a major accomplishment and just about the best case scenario.

End of rant (for now lol)

Not sure I buy that narrative. We have gotten a ton of short fields; in fact, there was a thread detailing us as the #1 team in America in starting field position (due to our superb special teams and defensive play). But despite that starting field position (our own 38 yard line, btw, prior to the Purdue game), we're somewhere around 50's (?) in scoring and in the 110's in yards per play. So it's not like we're eating up those yards and there are just no more yards to get because we run out of field. When combining all the factors together, it's not a pretty offensive picture.

It has been pretty obvious without even digging into the numbers.

I'm most disappointed that we just can't seem to find a way to make defenses pay for stacking the box. When was the last screen that has worked, where are the quick outs to wide receivers, or big runs when our runner gets past the first wave. Iowa has young wide receivers with talent. We need to get them into the game on every series and hit Goodson for way more passes. I know we can do it as evidence to the Woodshed game and the Maryland game this year. Why does Iowa go back into their shell after these games? A person would think that having a Defense like Iowa's would allow for more chance taking. Hell I just want to see one bomb a quarter thrown just to make the defense think about it. Did we throw any 50/50 balls in the entire first 3 quarters? I don't remember any. A deep pass is just the same as a punt unless we allow a big run back. Half of Petras's passes are more dangerous than a deep bomb. Petras's high school tapes show him throwing bombs to his teammates at a staggering pace. Risk/reward says you just have to throw it once in while. I know people will say it's a wasted down but I just don't see it that way.

Well, we couldn't get enough time to throw a deep ball against Perdue. Couldn't even get three full seconds most of the time.

For somebody that hates what football message boards and fans are, are you sure you still want to be moderator? Wouldn't it be easier to find another hobby?
No way. The rubes like you wanting to fire everyone, go portal fishing, and losing their minds when the Hawks are 6-1 at the halfway point are the exception, not the rule. Trolls just come with the territory. You're bad at it, btw.

Yes and no. Yes if we lost to Michigan, Ohio State, or Penn State. Effing Purdue………..NO! Losing three out of four to them HELL NO!!! If that is going to happen then we should have their coordinator. Last in offense in the conference or did you not get the memo?
Yeaaaahhhhhh...

Because firing staff at 6-1 would make everything better... :rolleyes:

Let's be like nebraska. Musical coaches has worked for them so well...

In 2020, we had Coy Cronk (UDFA for the Packers), Alaric Jackson (on the Rams roster), Cole Banwart (on the Giants practice squad) and Mark Kallenberger (who left football completely). That group had a lot of experience. Anyone with more than two brain cells to rub together should have expected an OLine collapse after losing all that.
That said....
If we know that our line is poor, why would we continue with what appears to be the same offensive schemes we did with that experienced and talented line?
It seems futile to go with a pocket passer, despite no pocket.
Or to run plays which require strong offensive tackles.

Maybe Petras' skills are not compatible with these limitations? He may be the better passer, but it's a moot point if he is throwing it away or taking a sack with no pocket protection.

No way. The rubes like you wanting to fire everyone, go portal fishing, and losing their minds when the Hawks are 6-1 at the halfway point are the exception, not the rule. Trolls just come with the territory. You're bad at it, btw.
At least I'm not a troll who tells fans that hope is delusional on a website that makes money off of that hope, and that they should go root for someone else. I suppose it makes money off the misery, too, though. Glad you're here to tell us that things will never be good, Fry. And how awful we are as fans for hoping things might be different this year.

Not sure I buy that narrative. We have gotten a ton of short fields; in fact, there was a thread detailing us as the #1 team in America in starting field position (due to our superb special teams and defensive play). But despite that starting field position (our own 38 yard line, btw, prior to the Purdue game), we're somewhere around 50's (?) in scoring and in the 110's in yards per play. So it's not like we're eating up those yards and there are just no more yards to get because we run out of field. When combining all the factors together, it's not a pretty offensive picture.
The defense and special teams definitely affect those numbers and stats, but with that said you can also simply apply the eye test and come up with the conclusion that our offense is in need of some work.

That said....
If we know that our line is poor, why would we continue with what appears to be the same offensive schemes we did with that experienced and talented line?
It seems futile to go with a pocket passer, despite no pocket.
Or to run plays which require strong offensive tackles.

Maybe Petras' skills are not compatible with these limitations? He may be the better passer, but it's a moot point if he is throwing it away or taking a sack with no pocket protection.
But isn't this more of an indictment of the offensive coordinator then it is the QB? I'm sure Petras is head and shoulders ahead of Padilla at this point, but the issue is that if we don't have a serviceable backup then our OC has got to come up with a scheme that works, and he's simply in over his head.

At least I'm not a troll who tells fans that hope is delusional on a website that makes money off of that hope, and that they should go root for someone else. I suppose it makes money off the misery, too, though. Glad you're here to tell us that things will never be good, Fry. And how awful we are as fans for hoping things might be different this year.
You aren’t “hoping things might be different.”

You literally do nothing but bitch about the Hawks, and troll with the “fire the coaches, hit the portal!” because our teams perennially suck, spiel.

And as far as me saying things will never be good, your idea of “good” is different. I think things are good. 6-1, leading our division.

The only misery here is you and the meltdown club. And yeah, you should go root for another team; why would you want all this misery in your life, to use your own term?

Last edited:

You literally do nothing but bitch about the Hawks, and troll with the “fire the coaches, hit the portal!” because our teams perennially sucks spiel.

And as far as me saying things will never be good, your idea of “good” is different. I think things are good. 6-1, leading our division.

The only misery here is you and the meltdown club. And yeah, you should go root for another team; why would you want all this misery in your life, to use your own term?
Dude,

You literally do nothing but bitch about the Hawks, and troll with the “fire the coaches, hit the portal!” because our teams perennially suck, spiel.

I haven't suggested firing anyone in my posts this season, unless you can quote me on that?

I was very high on the Hawks overall talent level on average compared to every other Ferentz team. I did not expect the DLine to be good at all, and it held up against lots of veteran teams to start the year.

Have said I think Brian cannot be the next head coach. Nothing he's done has changed that opinion, and winning the Natty this year wouldn't, either. His measurables are awful, and his intangibles questionable after last June. I don't think that's an unpopular opinion in any circles.

Also have said that Kirk Ferentz deserves to stay as long as he wants this year on this board and others. We need to start thinking about exit plans, because he's old, but not because he's a bad coach. Can't argue with his results is a direct quote from some previous posts.

I did say that we were out-talented by Perdue. That is true. Our oline is too small overall, and our qb cannot run to move the pocket or extend drives when it breaks down. I also said "* at three positions".

I don't believe we can win the West with the way our deficiencies were exploited by Perdue with the personnel we have. That sucks because of how the season played out. If the line could hold a pocket, I wouldn't be calling for an open qb competition. It's not anything to do with Petras except that he can't run. And if Iowa wants to win, they need that with this oline, and will for this season and next, while the size develops in the young guys.

There are possible quick fixes to duct tape some of those problems, and the transfer portal is one of them.

I was pissed, because I care, and because looking at Perdue's performance against everyone else, they aren't that good. And when you lose with the stakes as high as they were at #2 in the country to an average football team, if you don't care, why are you on here talking about Iowa at all?

And honestly, compared to past meltdowns on this board, and meltdowns on other boards, and on Soundoff, this one is mild.

Just like your quip about Rattler being a Hollywood primadonna on social media, you're perception is skewed and you are quoting or replying in chains without engaging in refuting anything I've said. Just ad hominim after ad hominim. And you pick the one time I have been pissed in 6 years.

You don't like me. That's fine. But you don't like a lot of people, and the way they root for YOUR team. Whether they're happy posts, like mine pre-Perdue that you shat on, or sad, like mine post Perdue.

Up until Sunday, I had been very high on the team, which you repeatedly replied to my posts telling all Hawk fans that we weren't good, didn't deserve our ranking, and warning about a meltdown.

I was pissed, because I care, and because looking at Perdue's performance against everyone else, they aren't that good. And when you lose with the stakes as high as they were at #2 in the country to an average football team, if you don't care, why are you on here talking about Iowa at all?
The person you should be pissed at is yourself for believing the crap the polls put out there about us being #2. If you believed that ridiculous ranking that's on you, not the Hawkeyes. Be real.

You're mad about something that was literally staring you in the face if you watched any of the preceding games.

Up until Sunday, I had been very high on the team, which you repeatedly replied to my posts telling all Hawk fans that we weren't good, didn't deserve our ranking, and warning about a meltdown.
Never said this team wasn't good. At all. That's false.

Also, it's very apparent that we didn't deserve that ranking, and yep...I warned about a meltdown. Which you and your meltdown gang so predictably provided us.

At the end of the day, all you do is spew on and on about how the Hawks suck, which I quoted in an earlier post 8 or 10 examples of (a small fraction of your posts like that), and you only seem to speak up when the Hawks have a bad game. Would you loke me to quote 15 or 20 more examples of your Hawkeye bashing?

So I asked why you don't find a team that lives up to your expectations, since the Hawkeyes apparently havent in the last 42 years or so. What's so wrong with that?

Just like your quip about Rattler being a Hollywood primadonna on social media, you're perception is skewed and you are quoting or replying in chains without engaging in refuting anything I've said. Just ad hominim after ad hominim. And you pick the one time I have been pissed in 6 years.
Go read the Oklahoma message boards, particularly the Rivals board, and you'll find plenty of threads about the kid being a high-maintenance drama queen.

I mean, the kid got benched for half a game and removed anything OU from his social media, then put it back on. He also walked off the field alone immediately after the game instead of celebrating with his teammates. You really think someone that immature would be a good fit here?

And as far as not answering questions, how bout you answer me about what I asked you...

What happens when (hypothetically because it'd NEVER happen) KF went and picked up Rattler from the portal and the rest of our QB room leaves, at the very least two of them. What you gonna do then when Rattler doesn't work out? Go shopping in the portal again? You think Padilla and Hogan would stick around if that shit happened? Especially when Rattler has more eligibility than they do? And what would keep Spencer here? Any of those guys can and potentially would transfer for immediate playing time somewhere else if Iowa suggested they were gonna have a new Diva ahead of them. What would that do to future recruiting? I'll give you three guesses but the first two don't count. Blue bloods can get away with that shit because there's always three or four highly rated recruits ready to sign on. We ain't a blue blood, pal.

Think about how football works and how those things affect teams for chrissakes.. It's not as simple as just going to the transfer portal every time your main guy loses a single game.

Latest posts