This Next Game Is The One, Boys...

Fryowa

Administrator
Never thought I'd live to see Marble's record broken, but Luka's going to do it this Sunday. Make sure you're all tuned in to watch and share the moment. It's your duty as a Hawkeye fan. If you're working get some PTO, and if you can't...catch it on your phone or a nearby TV somewhere. Whatever you have to do...watch it.

If you have kids who are Hawk fans get them to watch it with you. This Sunday will be one of the great memories of Hawkeye sports in your lifetime, and when your kids or grandkids grow up they'll remember where they were (and who they were with).

I know I'm sounding sappy and like I'm making a big deal of this, but Garza is one of the legends of Iowa sports, a great person, and on a generational team. He is unquestionably the greatest Hawkeye basketball player of all time, and I can't think of a player I'd rather have the honor.

I'm sure they'll stop the game to recognize him and yes, it sucks that there will be no fans to see it live. You guys know I don't believe in higher powers, but if I did I'd have a hard time not believing Chris Street made sure this one is at home and on a Sunday afternoon when the most people possible can watch it with their families and make memories that they'll enjoy forever.

Congratulations, Luka. There's never been a harder working or more deserving Hawkeye, and there won't be one again. You sure as hell earned that spot in the rafters where your jersey is going to hang.

Never thought I'd live to see Marble's record broken, but Luka's going to do it this Sunday. Make sure you're all tuned in to watch and share the moment. It's your duty as a Hawkeye fan. If you're working get some PTO, and if you can't...catch it on your phone or a nearby TV somewhere. Whatever you have to do...watch it.

If you have kids who are Hawk fans get them to watch it with you. This Sunday will be one of the great memories of Hawkeye sports in your lifetime, and when your kids or grandkids grow up they'll remember where they were (and who they were with).

I know I'm sounding sappy and like I'm making a big deal of this, but Garza is one of the legends of Iowa sports, a great person, and on a generational team. He is unquestionably the greatest Hawkeye basketball player of all time, and I can't think of a player I'd rather have the honor.

I'm sure they'll stop the game to recognize him and yes, it sucks that there will be no fans to see it live. You guys know I don't believe in higher powers, but if I did I'd have a hard time not believing Chris Street made sure this one is at home and on a Sunday afternoon when the most people possible can watch it with their families and make memories that they'll enjoy forever.

Congratulations, Luka. There's never been a harder working or more deserving Hawkeye, and there won't be one again. You sure as hell earned that spot in the rafters where your jersey is going to hang.
You cant put it in any better perspective than that. So proud of Luka and his attitude on and off the court. He has earned any accolades he receives. Can't wait til Sunday...history in the making.

A great tribute to a great player. I have to disagree on the "unquestionably" greatest player comment though. I don't think I will ever see another player top Ronnie Lester. Played in a different era, different game but what he did would surpass even Luka, IMO.

I had the privilege of seeing Greg Stokes break Ronnie Lester's scoring record vs Ohio State in 1985, then saw Marble break Stokes record in 1989.

I was a freshman for the former, a senior for the latter (after not attending school in the fall 1987 semester because I had to replenish the funds) Both were goosebump moments to say the least.

When Luka breaks the record it will be a long time before its challenged.

Ronnie Lester, but other than that....yes a great thing coming up soon. Magic Johnson even said that Ronnie Lester was the best college player he ever went up against.

I had the privilege of seeing Greg Stokes break Ronnie Lester's scoring record vs Ohio State in 1985, then saw Marble break Stokes record in 1989.

I was a freshman for the former, a senior for the latter (after not attending school in the fall 1987 semester because I had to replenish the funds) Both were goosebump moments to say the least.

When Luka breaks the record it will be a long time before its challenged.

Yep. A guy good enough to score that many points, but not quite talented enough to bolt early. Which is the exact combo you need to challenge that record. Which is why that record will stand for a long time.

Penn State is a trap game. They are a conference bottom feeder and we play two likely #1 seeds next. Hopefully, the Garza hoopla will keep everyone focused and we keep our foot firmly planted on PSUs throat.
Win this one and beat the Badgers and that should wrap up a double bye at the B1G tournament and at least #4 seed in the NCAAs. Lose it and we could drop to #6. This game is yuge, if we want an easier path to the Sweet 16.

Penn State is a trap game. They are a conference bottom feeder and we play two likely #1 seeds next. Hopefully, the Garza hoopla will keep everyone focused and we keep our foot firmly planted on PSUs throat.
Win this one and beat the Badgers and that should wrap up a double bye at the B1G tournament and at least #4 seed in the NCAAs. Lose it and we could drop to #6. This game is yuge, if we want an easier path to the Sweet 16.
No way is a Philly guy like Fran overlooking Penn State. And they've always matched up well with us. They have those athletic guards who can shoot and their bigs can be physical down low. Ryan Kriener had some big games against them, and I think Nunge can play that role as well. JBo has had good games against them as well.

One of my fondest memories of Luka will be, and I think of this from time to time, is when two years after the season was over. Frank told Luka that with Tyler Cook gone the team would be his to lead. Frank challenged Luka to visualize that and prepare himself mentally and physically for that challenge. I'd say he succeeded. That's when the "let the Peacock' fly mantra was born.

Gotta work and get off at 6, I'll definitely have the blinders on radio off on the way home and watch the game on delay on YouTubeplus, Nice thing is you can skip commercials. That's if I can stop myself from watching on my phone.

One of my fondest memories of Luka will be, and I think of this from time to time, is when two years after the season was over. Frank told Luka that with Tyler Cook gone the team would be his to lead. Frank challenged Luka to visualize that and prepare himself mentally and physically for that challenge. I'd say he succeeded. That's when the "let the Peacock' fly mantra was born.
1 thing for sure, Luka was the most battered and beaten-up Iowa player I've ever seen. Can't count the number of times he stepped on the court with cotton stuffed up his nose to stop the bleeding. He's one tough SOB!

1 thing for sure, Luka was the most battered and beaten-up Iowa player I've ever seen. Can't count the number of times he stepped on the court with cotton stuffed up his nose to stop the bleeding. He's one tough SOB!
Just another good argument for re-organizing the gene pool for BT basketball officials.

Seems likely Luka breaks this record by halftime, even. Just 14 points to go.

I grew up in the 80s, and BJ, Roy and Ed were the prominent players on the teams that made me a Hawk fan to begin with. That part of me will be a bit sad to see Roy's record fall, but I'm happy for Luka and am rooting for him to do it. In fact, I hope he crushes it and ends up pretty high up on the all-time Big Ten scoring list.

There couldn't be a more deserving Hawk to hold this record. What a representative for the team and program. Congrats to Luka Garza! Best Iowa player I've ever seen, certainly in my time.

Latest posts