This may surprise some. Director's cup standing for potential Big 10 additions.

Iowa: 47th, 296.5 points

How does Iowa rank that low, with a national title 3 years in a row in wrestling, a BCS bowl victory and a NCAA tournament appearance by the iowa women bball team? Not to mention the fact that Iowa has one of the very few self sustained athletic departments right now.

How does Iowa rank that low, with a national title 3 years in a row in wrestling, a BCS bowl victory and a NCAA tournament appearance by the iowa women bball team? Not to mention the fact that Iowa has one of the very few self sustained athletic departments right now.

Mediocrity or below in just about everything else.

With the size of our athletic budget that is ridiculous, not that I care as long as we are good at FB, BB and wrestling.

How is ISU at 22 and we are at 47?

The answer is that Iowa doesn't have skiing, fencing, rifle (wtf?), men's ice hockey, women's ice hockey, or women's bowling (wtf again?). That's 6 of the 15 sports that make up the standings. We gain points over most schools on wrestling, but lose a bunch in other places we have no control over.

I've always thought the Director's Cup is a joke. The top 20 or so are always (A) universities with massive enrollment (and thus larger AD budgets) and often statewide monopolies or, (B) a more average school that happened to have a very good year in select nonrevenue sports (ISU is in the same boat as us, but finished 25 spots higher because they had some success in women's gymnastics and women's track and field---that is the entire difference, for the most part, between the 25 spots). Many schools are automatically shut out of some points every year because they don't have one or more of the sports included in the formula (so the really large athletic departments gain points, even if their team in that sport is barely good enough to finish in the top half in a sport with very few teams).

I would love to brag about the Big Ten having 4 of the top 10, but look at who they are: OSU (no other BCS programs in a large population state), Wisconsin (no other BCS programs in a decent-sized state), Minnesota (see Wisconsin), and PSU (they've just got Pitt in a very large state). Two of those three benefit greatly from pretty much automatic points in women's and men's ice hockey.

Last edited:
With the size of our athletic budget that is ridiculous, not that I care as long as we are good at FB, BB and wrestling.

How is ISU at 22 and we are at 47?

Seriously I have seen the Director's Cup poll for many years and not once has it ever made me upset that Iowa wasn't listed in it.. However ISU at 22 and Iowa at 47, just showed me how ridiculious this poll really is.

Wrestling is a Winter sport and this ranking is for Fall.

Director's Cup is Fall, Winter and Final.

Last edited:
My guess is because wrestling isn't a sport that counts.

Wrestling counts, but Iowa barely gained more points than ISU in that sport. As I said before, ISU had a slightly better women's basketball team and gained points in women's track and women's gymnastics. The two women's sports Iowa didn't score any points in (track and gymnastics) are basically the difference between 47 and 22. Also, these are the Winter standings, so they don't include football.

EDITED for link (second page of pdf): http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nacda/sports/directorscup/auto_pdf/D1april29releasestands.pdf

Last edited:

Latest posts