This brought a tear to my eye...

azhawkphan

“This is a very proud moment for me. I made it clear from the start that I wanted to be your coach,â€￾ McCaffery, 50, said as he became the 22nd men’s basketball coach in Iowa Hawkeye history

I don't think we have truly had a coach that felt this since Mr. Davis. I don't think Lute felt like this, nor Raveling, nor Alford, and not Lick. I think they liked the idea of being Iowa's coach, but I don't think any of them were proud to be Iowa's coach (like I said except for Mr. Davis). I feel that after this press conference there is much more optimisim about the program as a whole, and let's do our part as fans to make sure Fran has every chance at being successful/happy here at Iowa and still feels like this 5+ years from now.

“This is a very proud moment for me. I made it clear from the start that I wanted to be your coach,” McCaffery, 50, said as he became the 22nd men’s basketball coach in Iowa Hawkeye history

I don't think we have truly had a coach that felt this since Mr. Davis. I don't think Lute felt like this, nor Raveling, nor Alford, and not Lick. I think they liked the idea of being Iowa's coach, but I don't think any of them were proud to be Iowa's coach (like I said except for Mr. Davis). I feel that after this press conference there is much more optimisim about the program as a whole, and let's do our part as fans to make sure Fran has every chance at being successful/happy here at Iowa and still feels like this 5+ years from now.

He has busted his a** for 26 years to get this job, he will do EVERYTHING to reward Iowa for taking the chance on him. I think we are in GREAT shape here.... Could be klike what Bruce is doing at Tennesse after they gave him his big shot...

He could def end up having a long career here like Davis. Davis was 49 I think when Iowa hired him and Fran is 50.

You're probably right about not having a coach sincerely feel this way about being a Hawkeye since Mr. Davis, but I remember Lick's conference was full of gushing about how honored he was to be a Hawkeye.

Just sayin'.

You're probably right about not having a coach sincerely feel this way about being a Hawkeye since Mr. Davis, but I remember Lick's conference was full of gushing about how honored he was to be a Hawkeye.

Just sayin'.

Yeah, the difference here, though, is that Fran actually looked and sounded like he meant it.

I was impressed by how prepared he was and how genuine he seems.

Yeah, the difference here, though, is that Fran actually looked and sounded like he meant it.

I was impressed by how prepared he was and how genuine he seems.

That is what has me sold. I think McCaffery know what it is going to take to right the ship and I think he is prepared for work/challenges to do so.

One of the things that had me concerned with Lick 3 years ago at his press conference was something he said very similar to this: I am excited to see what my system can do with the type of athlete that Iowa attracts.

I don't think Lick had an understanding of where Iowa was, where Iowa was at that time, and where Iowa needed to go. I don't think he had an understanding of what it would take to right the ship. I think he would agree with that as well from what I have read.

I am excited that we have a coach that has resurrected programs in the past and one that genuinely understands our past, present, and future. Oh yeah... and he really wants to be here.

Not trying to rain on the lovefest today, but I'm not sold that he chose us over anyone, he chose the first team that offered him a multi million dollar contract. You give me 6 million dollar contract and I'll stand up in front of Minnosotans and tell them how I appreciate them. I think he let Barta know about Seton Hall and others interested to put the pressure on him to not wait and interview Gregory. Shrewed move and I'll give him credit for it. I'll claim him bleeding black and gold after he wins multiple big ten championships and turns down Notre Dame and Michigan(as other coach has). Don't mistake graditude for the opportunity to sit at the big boys table, for bleeding black and gold. Still I'm excited and hope he gets it done, securing all the players and the recruits is job #1

Not trying to rain on the lovefest today, but I'm not sold that he chose us over anyone, he chose the first team that offered him a multi million dollar contract. You give me 6 million dollar contract and I'll stand up in front of Minnosotans and tell them how I appreciate them. I think he let Barta know about Seton Hall and others interested to put the pressure on him to not wait and interview Gregory. Shrewed move and I'll give him credit for it. I'll claim him bleeding black and gold after he wins multiple big ten championships and turns down Notre Dame and Michigan(as other coach has). Don't mistake graditude for the opportunity to sit at the big boys table, for bleeding black and gold. Still I'm excited and hope he gets it done, securing all the players and the recruits is job #1

I get your point. But I think the thing that has most hooked are the stories and understanding of our past, and a sense of understanding to get us back to that level. I think with the new facilities, weight room, etc. people are seeing things coming together for the future of the Iowa bball program. I hope that there is enough success that comparisons are drawn to the other Iowa coach you are referencing in your comment :).

I remember at Lick's presser his comments about how his son said, "Dad, it's Iowa!".

That moment seemed to lack credibility for me - I never really put my finger on why, other than it just didn't seem genuine.

Fran's remarks today seemed a lot more genuine and a lot less forced.

I'm pretty excited to see what he can do.

I'm glad about this hire... my number 1 concern was to get a guy that WANTED to be here. We have proof in turning down 2 other schools (Seton Hall is pretty big name). Welcome Fran, time to make me believe in Iowa Basketball again!

Latest posts