This article suggests Ohio St will not be in the Rose because or television ratings

Re: This article suggests Ohio St will not be in the Rose because or television ratin

Best and perhaps most accurate reasoning I have seen so far. Worst case -- IOWA to the Rose.

Re: This article suggests Ohio St will not be in the Rose because or television ratin

Makes sense to me but doesn't the Rose Bowl get to pick their B1G replacement team before the Peach and Fiesta Bowl teams get assigned? If that's the case, wouldn't the higher ranked B1G team get placed in the Rose Bowl no matter what since there are no extraordinary circumstances this year?

Makes sense to me but doesn't the Rose Bowl get to pick their B1G replacement team before the Peach and Fiesta Bowl teams get assigned? If that's the case, wouldn't the higher ranked B1G team get placed in the Rose Bowl no matter what since there are no extraordinary circumstances this year?

Rose Bowl isn't going to create some outrage by selecting the stinkin bucknuts for its bowl. They didn't win anything of note this year and beat one team.

Rose Bowl isn't going to create some outrage by selecting the stinkin bucknuts for its bowl. They didn't win anything of note this year and beat one team.

I wish that was true but they have indicated multiple times in the past couple of weeks that the highest ranked team will go to the Rose Bowl. However, there is a chance that the CFP committee will not rank the loser of the B1G CCG below OSU but I wouldn't count on it.

It's the Rose Bowl's loss if they don't choose Iowa over OSU. Seriously. OSU is a spoiled fan base who won't turn out to the Rose Bowl and support it the way Iowa fans would. They would treat the Rose Bowl as a backup option and so would the players. They expect to be in the playoffs/national championship hunt every year and anything less is a disappointment, even the Rose Bowl. If the Rose Bowl had any sense, they would get their heads out of their a$$ses and choose Iowa. Iowa would actually appreciate going to the Rose Bowl; the fans and players would consider it an honor.

If the Rose Bowl is willing to choose OSU who didn't even win their overrated division over a more deserving team to increase their viewing rating by like a million viewers then that's a bowl not worth going to.

Forget the TV ratings blueblood program blah blah blah. You heard it here: IOWA WOULD TURN OUT MORE FANS TO THE ROSE BOWL THAN OHIO STATE. Count on it.

If they don't want us it's their ****ing loss

Last edited:

a 12-1 IOWA team would draw crazy to the Rose Bowl.

That being said...Pasadena will have to wait.

I made a similar argument earlier, but slightly different. My argument was that a Notre Dame/Ohio State Fiesta bowl would probably draw more ratings than one of the CFP semifinal games. It would be an insane matchup that everyone would want to watch. After that the Rose Bowl would be just fine and nobody would watch the Peach bowl. Seems like an ideal situation

The Rose is owned by the Rose Bowl parade, the BIG, and The PAC 12. While the committee is supposed to place teams in bowls, I cannot believe these three owners would pass up the change at 40K Iowa fans rolling into town.

TV is where the big money comes from.

If 12-1 Iowa loses a relatively close and interesting game to MSU, then we'll likely be ranked above OSU (more or less switch spots with MSU) OR be very close in ranking to Ohio State (maybe OSU is #5 and Iowa is #6 or 7). The greater the separation, the more likely Ohio State goes to the Rose (assuming they don't make the playoffs). Iowa does have several things going for it, since it played the 13th game, won the division, had an undefeated regular season, and haven't been to the Rose in some 30 years. Everything combined might lead the Rose Bowl to choose Iowa. But who knows? At this point, Iowa has to play its best football.

If 12-1 Iowa loses a relatively close and interesting game to MSU, then we'll likely be ranked above OSU (more or less switch spots with MSU) OR be very close in ranking to Ohio State (maybe OSU is #5 and Iowa is #6 or 7). The greater the separation, the more likely Ohio State goes to the Rose (assuming they don't make the playoffs). Iowa does have several things going for it, since it played the 13th game, won the division, had an undefeated regular season, and haven't been to the Rose in some 30 years. Everything combined might lead the Rose Bowl to choose Iowa. But who knows? At this point, Iowa has to play its best football.

I could also see the committee moving OSU down in the rankings after this.

15-0 or to hell with it

a 12-1 IOWA team would draw crazy to the Rose Bowl.

That being said...Pasadena will have to wait.

We would outdraw OSU almost for certain. For the Rose.
OSU is not interested in bowl games. Heck they weren't even interested in beating MSU.

It is all about TV and ratings. The Rose Bowl will be a sellout no matter who plays, so # of fans attending is a non-factor. Ohio State beats Iowa in TV ratings every time.

And, with the inherent blue blood bias, a 1-loss Ohio State will trump a 1-loss Iowa in the rankings.

By all logical reasoning Iowa should go to the Rose if they lose. But they won't, so it is pointless to dwell on it.

I really want the Hawks to win today, so this is all moot.

With Houston winning today to lock up their bid to the New Years Day 6, I believe we will see the Ohio State vs. Houston match-up.

With Houston winning today to lock up their bid to the New Years Day 6, I believe we will see the Ohio State vs. Houston match-up.

Especially with the Herman angle.

Interestingly, although JDM said there was a scenario where the Hawks might NOT be in a NY6 bowl under certain circumstances, that now appears NOT to be the case. Citrus Bowl has been told by The Committee that Iowa and MSU are NOT available in any was/shape/form.

Latest posts