Thinking aloud: RE: Coe and the greater St. Louis area ...

homerHAWKeye777

If the current rumors swirling around Miller are correct ... then what implication might that have concerning Coe? Assuming that Miller has kept out of trouble and hasn't neglected his books ... the bets are that Iowa has probably landed a "silent commit." Considering that Iowa pulled an offer to a pretty darn talented kid by the name of Cam McDaniel ... that suggests that Iowa has felt VERY comfortable with its RB/ATH recruiting this year.

Now, if Coe has "silently" jumped on board the Hawkeye train ... then might it be possible that Coe could be doing some recruiting on Iowa's behalf?

For those paying attention, a pretty talented guy by the name of Anthony Pierson, hailing from East St. Louis has just recently decommitted from Mizzou. What's more ... he's a guy who holds an Iowa offer.

Of course, I must admit that the Illini have a pretty good foot in the door with respect to recruiting East St. Louis ... however, if Coe is a "silent" Iowa verbal, I wouldn't be shocked if he's working to get Pierson, among others, to come join him too.

Considering how fertile the greater St. Louis area could be for Iowa ... I hope that this "thinking aloud" scenario ends up being true. Wouldn't that be cool?

This situation doesn't make sense, why would Coe be a silent verbal, i don't understand what the benefits are. I figured we would take more than one running back in this years recruiting!!! :confused:

This situation doesn't make sense, why would Coe be a silent verbal, i don't understand what the benefits are. I figured we would take more than one running back in this years recruiting!!! :confused:

Coe is a participant in the Army-All-American bowl. The tradition there is for players to announce their commitment at the game. If Coe is a "silent verbal," then that is probably the reason why he is "silent." And, for you info, MANY past Iowa commits who were also former AAA bowl participants have followed the same route too.

As for Iowa taking more than ONE RB ... don't worry, we have Gordon, and we'll most likely have ONE more. If my guess is correct, that guy is likely Coe!

BTW, it wasn't all that long ago when the Iowa coaches visited Coe down in Southern Illinois. What's the bet that they explained the situation about Miller and how Miller was likely poised to commit? Considering that Iowa has sat really well with Coe for a long time ... I really wouldn't be shocked if he then followed up the visit with a "silent verbal."

Coe is a participant in the Army-All-American bowl. The tradition there is for players to announce their commitment at the game. If Coe is a "silent verbal," then that is probably the reason why he is "silent." And, for you info, MANY past Iowa commits who were also former AAA bowl participants have followed the same route too.

As for Iowa taking more than ONE RB ... don't worry, we have Gordon, and we'll most likely have ONE more. If my guess is correct, that guy is likely Coe!

BTW, it wasn't all that long ago when the Iowa coaches visited Coe down in Southern Illinois. What's the bet that they explained the situation about Miller and how Miller was likely poised to commit? Considering that Iowa has sat really well with Coe for a long time ... I really wouldn't be shocked if he then followed up the visit with a "silent verbal."

OK

That makes sense now, Thanks for the information. I hope he is a silent verbal, his u-tube videos are simply amazing. For a big guy he can flat out fly. :)

I think Arkansas is going to be tuff to beat out, i believe they are listed as a top three. On his face book account he has several Arkansas Razor back players as friends, i don't know how much this matter just thought i would bring the point up.:confused:

If the current rumors swirling around Miller are correct ... then what implication might that have concerning Coe? Assuming that Miller has kept out of trouble and hasn't neglected his books ... the bets are that Iowa has probably landed a "silent commit." Considering that Iowa pulled an offer to a pretty darn talented kid by the name of Cam McDaniel ... that suggests that Iowa has felt VERY comfortable with its RB/ATH recruiting this year.

Now, if Coe has "silently" jumped on board the Hawkeye train ... then might it be possible that Coe could be doing some recruiting on Iowa's behalf?

For those paying attention, a pretty talented guy by the name of Anthony Pierson, hailing from East St. Louis has just recently decommitted from Mizzou. What's more ... he's a guy who holds an Iowa offer.

Of course, I must admit that the Illini have a pretty good foot in the door with respect to recruiting East St. Louis ... however, if Coe is a "silent" Iowa verbal, I wouldn't be shocked if he's working to get Pierson, among others, to come join him too.

Considering how fertile the greater St. Louis area could be for Iowa ... I hope that this "thinking aloud" scenario ends up being true. Wouldn't that be cool?

Homer,
Thanks for the info. I've been away for a few days, what are the rumors swirling around with Miller?

Homer, I hope you are right, as you tend to be. If KF and co. felt good enough about Coe to pull Miller's offer then he must be a stud, more than we think. I always thought they'd try to get them both and see if one need to switch positions they could. again, hope you're right and Miller's not just a bad apple that KF shy'd away from.
I guess I'm surprised that it got pulled, unless either the behavior stuff became an issue, or Coe decided to committ if Miller got his offer removed (don't think KF operates this way), but then I'm not sure how your Pierson theory works out.

Last edited:
Homer,
Thanks for the info. I've been away for a few days, what are the rumors swirling around with Miller?

Rumor is that he doesn't have an Iowa offer anymore. I guess someone said he should come to Iowa on his facebook and he said he can't anymore. No one really knows what that means so that's why ppl believe he had the offer pulled.

BTW that is a very interesting theory Homer. I like it and hope it's true.

Per Eric Johnson we are having a visit from a top recruit today..... Could it be MR. Coe?

There is a top women's bball recruit visiting today...coach Johnson was wishing the women's bball program luck in landing her.

I don't know, Coach Johnson tweeted this this morning on twitter, if you don't believe me look it up on tweeter. Yeah it doesn't make sense to me either.

Were you talking about this:

RT @goiowa: Good luck. Get us another Hawkeye! Have 1 of nations best young recruits visiting 2day!

It is a women's basketball recruit (Stokes, I think) and he is wishing them good luck.

Homer, I hope you are right, as you tend to be. If KF and co. felt good enough about Coe to pull Miller's offer then he must be a stud, more than we think. I always thought they'd try to get them both and see if one need to switch positions they could. again, hope you're right and Miller's not just a bad apple that KF shy'd away from.
I guess I'm surprised that it got pulled, unless either the behavior stuff became an issue, or Coe decided to committ if Miller got his offer removed (don't think KF operates this way), but then I'm not sure how your Pierson theory works out.

hawkfarmer -

Coe IS a stud. He's a really powerful back and he offers a bit more contrast to Gordon than Miller does. Furthermore, Coe projects brilliantly at other positions in addition to RB too. Thus, if he ends up not sticking at RB ... the young man will have other options at Iowa too ... options that could still land him in the NFL. Not a bad back-up plan for him, eh?

Not only is Coe a stud, but it behooves Iowa to reinforce our St. Louis area recruiting pipelines. Furthermore, Coe has a teammate who is a top DT prospect in the 2012 recruiting class (Valentine). Landing Coe would certainly help Iowa's chances of landing Valentine.

Anyhow, I'd love it if Iowa continues to have luck recruiting the St. Louis and southern Illinois region.

Homer,

As HawkeyeBA has already stated, there are rumors swirling that Miller no longer has a 'ship. That suggests that either it got pulled because he had been "naughty" OR it evaporated because the spot already got filled (i.e. by a verbal ... or "silent" verbal).

hawkfarmer -

Coe IS a stud. He's a really powerful back and he offers a bit more contrast to Gordon than Miller does. Furthermore, Coe projects brilliantly at other positions in addition to RB too. Thus, if he ends up not sticking at RB ... the young man will have other options at Iowa too ... options that could still land him in the NFL. Not a bad back-up plan for him, eh?

Not only is Coe a stud, but it behooves Iowa to reinforce our St. Louis area recruiting pipelines. Furthermore, Coe has a teammate who is a top DT prospect in the 2012 recruiting class (Valentine). Landing Coe would certainly help Iowa's chances of landing Valentine.

Anyhow, I'd love it if Iowa continues to have luck recruiting the St. Louis and southern Illinois region.

Just remember, as I'm sure you know, guys that are the BMOC in HS often have a hard time accepting they aren't that in college, much less changing positions...in particular HS RB's. If Coe's a 1-cut back then he could unquestionably be successful IF he comes to IA, but from the article I read and my limited college experience, players that were HS RB's and always got to tote the rock often had a very challenging time accepting their role or being asked to change positions, in particular to defense. Obviously you never know, but it seems Coe unequivocally wants to play RB in college, and experiencing the mindset many HS RB's have, I just don't see him going somewhere to be a LB.

Just remember, as I'm sure you know, guys that are the BMOC in HS often have a hard time accepting they aren't that in college, much less changing positions...in particular HS RB's. If Coe's a 1-cut back then he could unquestionably be successful IF he comes to IA, but from the article I read and my limited college experience, players that were HS RB's and always got to tote the rock often had a very challenging time accepting their role or being asked to change positions, in particular to defense. Obviously you never know, but it seems Coe unequivocally wants to play RB in college, and experiencing the mindset many HS RB's have, I just don't see him going somewhere to be a LB.

Sure, however, part of what gives Iowa an advantage for his services is that we're actually recruiting him at RB. A good number of schools recruiting him have been recruiting him at LB. The thing is that even if a kid is a BMOC at high school ... that doesn't mean that they don't mature as they get older. If a guy is going to be a success at Iowa, they usually posess good leadership characteristics ... and one of those characteristics is the desire to do whatever you can to help the TEAM. Clayborn was a guy, who when younger, kinda disappeared off the map when Iowa tried to give him reps on the interior ... because he thought that he was a DE or bust. While it's true that Clayborn is our starting DE ... he also now plays on EITHER the inside or outside ... wherever helps give the D get an advantage on a given down. From what I recall hearing, Sash was a BMOC in high school too ... and yet actually transitioned pretty quickly to be our starting SS as a RS FR!

Anyhow, I frankly think that Coe has a great shot of sticking at RB at Iowa. Consequently, I am not really worrying about an future need that we might have trying to convince him to switch positions. After all ... we don't even know for certain if he really is a "silent verbal!"

iowahawkeyes89, among others, are suggesting from the benefit of their "premium" info that Iowa's split with Miller has more to do with "character" issues.

Thus, my thinking aloud may prove very well to be way off.

A man can dare to dream though ....