Things I Found Encouraging

Cover3

In the past, I may have been considered part of the 'negative Nancy' crowd, always calling for changes in the Hawks' tactics, etc. Well, I actually saw a good deal of change yesterday, contrary to what many are suggesting:

1. The defense got a good deal of 3 & outs, especially in the last quarter and a half when we needed to get the ball back. There were no easy underneath throws available to the QB. Yes, a day may come where they hit on a couple of the 1-on-1 deep balls, but they didn't today, and we denied them all the short stuff; Phil made a great adjustment at halftime to take away that RB drag.

2. We tried to score, driving a good chunk of the field in the last minute of the first half. We didn't score, but evaluation should not always be result-based; even the best 2-minute drill fails sometimes. Fact is, we came out throwing where in the past we likely would have run into the line and hoped to bust a long one. That drive had good pace, and even a great hot read by both JVB and Keenan (something we NEVER saw before). Stalled with big protection problems, but that will improve.

3. Our offensive playcalling did adjust to the play on the field. It was hard to see because many plays got blown up so quickly, but we saw many more screens in the second half after they really started blitzing us. Davis called a nice PA bootleg, where Derby released his blocked and flashed to JVB away from the play side. JVB overthrew him, but in later weeks if JVB (who is allowed to be human, no?) is more settled, that could be a big play.

4. I thought Bullock's TD run came on a dynamite playcall. 3rd & 8 in four-down territory and NIU's back seven were dropping into zone. Frickin' beautiful.

5. We picked up a lot of third downs, which has not always been the case. The 3rd & 1s were especially encouraging, because Iowa used to never give the FB the ball and would often have trouble picking up 3rd & 1 or 2 against a penetrating defense. Kirk and G. Davis has an answer for that past ill.

6. Our DBs played the ball very well today, and Castillo...how often before has Iowa failed to down a punt inside the 5??? That and the kid broke up a deep ball, too (along with Micah on multiple occasions).​

There is absolutely no reason to be fatalistic about this squad. Beating a MAC team by 1 could be considered commensurate with losing to a PAC-10 team by 37, and we all know of a squad that did the latter and won the Big Ten. Nobody has title expectations for this team, so let's just enjoy the ride. All today's struggles mean is there is plenty of room to improve this week.

What I saw from the special teams unit as a whole was really encouraging. Field goal kicking, punting, coverage on punts and kicks were all things that we did well and could help us to win the closer games this year.

In the past, I may have been considered part of the 'negative Nancy' crowd, always calling for changes in the Hawks' tactics, etc. Well, I actually saw a good deal of change yesterday, contrary to what many are suggesting:

1. The defense got a good deal of 3 & outs, especially in the last quarter and a half when we needed to get the ball back. There were no easy underneath throws available to the QB. Yes, a day may come where they hit on a couple of the 1-on-1 deep balls, but they didn't today, and we denied them all the short stuff; Phil made a great adjustment at halftime to take away that RB drag.

2. We tried to score, driving a good chunk of the field in the last minute of the first half. We didn't score, but evaluation should not always be result-based; even the best 2-minute drill fails sometimes. Fact is, we came out throwing where in the past we likely would have run into the line and hoped to bust a long one. That drive had good pace, and even a great hot read by both JVB and Keenan (something we NEVER saw before). Stalled with big protection problems, but that will improve.

3. Our offensive playcalling did adjust to the play on the field. It was hard to see because many plays got blown up so quickly, but we saw many more screens in the second half after they really started blitzing us. Davis called a nice PA bootleg, where Derby released his blocked and flashed to JVB away from the play side. JVB overthrew him, but in later weeks if JVB (who is allowed to be human, no?) is more settled, that could be a big play.

4. I thought Bullock's TD run came on a dynamite playcall. 3rd & 8 in four-down territory and NIU's back seven were dropping into zone. Frickin' beautiful.

5. We picked up a lot of third downs, which has not always been the case. The 3rd & 1s were especially encouraging, because Iowa used to never give the FB the ball and would often have trouble picking up 3rd & 1 or 2 against a penetrating defense. Kirk and G. Davis has an answer for that past ill.

6. Our DBs played the ball very well today, and Castillo...how often before has Iowa failed to down a punt inside the 5??? That and the kid broke up a deep ball, too (along with Micah on multiple occasions).​

There is absolutely no reason to be fatalistic about this squad. Beating a MAC team by 1 could be considered commensurate with losing to a PAC-10 team by 37, and we all know of a squad that did the latter and won the Big Ten. Nobody has title expectations for this team, so let's just enjoy the ride. All today's struggles mean is there is plenty of room to improve this week.

Great points. Good coaches will know how to point out these positives to the players, while also being critical of the mistakes and fixing those.

Our expected weakness (running game and defense) played well. Our expected strengths (passing game and oline) have some work to do. Special teams played well. Which tells me that we have potential in all areas. The team gets to come home for four straight home games, and a chance to put everything together.

Our expected weakness (running game and defense) played well. Our expected strengths (passing game and oline) have some work to do. Special teams played well. Which tells me that we have potential in all areas. The team gets to come home for four straight home games, and a chance to put everything together.

Bullock couldn't have been successful without good run blocking. Pass protection was an issue, and more specifically protecting vs. the blitz, which the RBs can share in some of the blame. Experience (and lots of film review) will help immensely. Very correctable; I'm optimistic yet.

Thanks for a positive thread.

We moved the ball but just didn't execute in the RZ. I'm not sure if that comes down to play calling or executing but I'm sure it'll get fixed. I'm not as disappointed with the O as most people are on here.

1. Bullock.
2. The defense was better in the second half than in the first.
3. Special teams. Outstanding.
4. CJ. Potential for some big plays down the road.

Great post, Cover3.

To point #4, according to Dochterman that was the result of a package play, where JVB went to the line with a run and a pass called and had to read and choose the right one. Obviously he had his struggles yesterday, but that was a great call by him, and it's exciting that GD has put in some sophisticated offensive packages.

Bullock couldn't have been successful without good run blocking. Pass protection was an issue, and more specifically protecting vs. the blitz, which the RBs can share in some of the blame. Experience (and lots of film review) will help immensely. Very correctable; I'm optimistic yet.

Yeah, thats a better way to put it. Good run blocking, but some spotty pass protection. Lots of new faces on the O-Line yesterday, so we can hopefully see some immediate improvement.

Also agree with the poster about moving the ball well and stalling in the RZ. Clean that up, and things are looking good.

After a good night's rest, I'm optimistic about things.

To point #4, according to Dochterman that was the result of a package play, where JVB went to the line with a run and a pass called and had to read and choose the right one. Obviously he had his struggles yesterday, but that was a great call by him, and it's exciting that GD has put in some sophisticated offensive packages.

Good to know. It was JVB's first game running this offense, so he surely has lots of room for improvement in his calls.

I actually saw on multiple occasions Bullock step up and make a block in the passing game, as well. He stuck his nose in there. He missed some as well, however.

What I saw was, sloppy tackling. I saw their offensive coaches out smarting our defensive coaches. I saw their defensive line sack our QB 5 times with 10 minutes to go in the third quarter. But what I saw and liked the most, "We didn't quit" and we "WON".

I liked the time of possession. I thought that other than the struggles in the RZ, the inability to pass protect, the offense did a fairly nice job of not putting the defense in tough spots. I don't think there were too many 3 and outs. For the most part, the offense was able to sustain drives which allowed the defense to get some rest on the sideline.

I would put Bullock in this list. He was a little spoty on pass blocking, but he definitely did well running (ran hard).

I liked the time of possession. I thought that other than the struggles in the RZ, the inability to pass protect, the offense did a fairly nice job of not putting the defense in tough spots. I don't think there were too many 3 and outs. For the most part, the offense was able to sustain drives which allowed the defense to get some rest on the sideline.

I agree. Our execution struggled once we got to about the 35. We moved the ball and that is something they can build on.

Actually, good observant comments by all. I felt better after watching most of the replay of where we lacked, and game experience will help improve in all areas. I was less critical of JVB the second time through as well, it appears he made some good adjustments given the lack of time he was usually given.

I also liked the effort going into half time, and just not giving up. If just one of those fg becomes 7 points early on, it would have helped open things a bit more to our favor.

The most encouraging thing for me is that I'd rather have a struggle and face adversity against a good MAC team on a neutral field and win ugly than beat the **** out of a FCS tomato can at home in the opener.

There is nothing wrong with getting your weaknesses exposed. Coaches are getting paid a lot of money to identify those things and correct them.

You find out nothing by playing a bad FCS team at home. Glorified practice. They're completely overmatched and wins against them produce false confidence which is far worse than the humble pie served to Iowa yesterday.

Totally agree, Xerxes. Better to give up six sacks in a nail-biter to NIU than to pound Maine (or somebody like that) and not know we have to work on pass pro before ISU.

Great post cover! I thought this game would be a struggle and of course it was. But, lots of good stuff happened, which you very eloquently pointed out. GO HAWKS!

Latest posts