Things are getting crazy at Penn State

I will say this, it is a really bad idea to hire a guy the alums/donors are not behind. They've either got to do some selling or they need to find another coach.
Very few of the folks who are qualified would want that job. If this happened at Iowa and the facts alleged against the accused and the administration are true, if I got past my initial disgust and could bear to ever watch Iowa football again, I would support the regents/trustees if they wanted to clean house and would support the new guys and be okay with a total house cleaning. PSU fan is delusional about their choices for new coaches and the trustees need to protect their back sides against a backlash if the discovery process during lawsuits shows more widespread knowledge of the issues than has been reported to date. The trustees have a gun to their heads to find a new coach because of recruiting and spring practice being only a few months away. Unfortunately, some innocent folks are gonna get swept away, but that is the reality of the situation when the trustees have a fiduciary duty to the school and inadequate time to gather facts by turning over every stone. PSU fan has got to understand and respect the trustees. The trustees are in a very crappy spot and they want to make absolutely sure they have cleaned out every cell that could potentially be cancerous even if it means killing some healthy cells.

This should be posted on the PSU scout board but I still don't think they would get it.

I watched a video on the ESPN Big Ten blog about an hour ago about how Bradley had been "relieved of his duties". It talked about the meeting with the coaches and AD and what they said as they left.

That video has been taken down. Weird.

OBrien is being hired so he can be fired. That is all anyone coming into this mess can expect. PSU needs someone disposable right now so sheppard them through a 1-3 year purge process while litigation is going on. then they will need to clean house again with someone who has ties to PSU.

Excellent post - couldn't be more true, IMHO.

Of course, if over the next 2-3 years, O'Brien surprises everyone and pulls everything together and has PSU competing at a championship level, they'll act like they knew it all along...but the truth is, no one within PSU can really think that is a likely outcome. This guy will just keep the seat warm for the real hire 3+ years down the road.

I don't understand what the issue is. From those tweets it seems that PSU is cleaning house. Isn't that what everyone expected to happen? Did anyone expect Jay Paterno to stay with PSU?

As far as O'brien, this is why you keep your mouth shut. There have been quite a few coaches throughout the years that have thought they had the job only to run their mouth and make the school change their mind. Don't let the alumni express opinions until the press conference.

If I were Obrien I would want anyone established with the program fired when I came in. I would want to distance myself as far as possible. Maybe JayPa was crying because he got canned like his dad.

Obrien is definitely in a no-win situation ... unless, of course ... he actually wins on the field. If he does find success on the field it will be amazing how quickly fans will move to his corner. Obrien was most likely was their 10th choice ... If he does not show success within three years he will be out (like Rich Rod) ... I feel for the guy because imagine if you accepted a new job and everyone in the company welcomed you with a cold shoulder ... I think the poster who said he was hired to be fired is (sadly) correct. They will give him those three years and by that time their coaching pool will increase ...

I think PSU will be in the bottom 4 in the B1G within 2 years. Led by JoePa's ineptness PSU erased a legacy of good will by allowing Sandusky 2 run around the campus abusing children. PSU is poisoned and will not be recovering anytime soon. It may take 10 years and may never comeback.

If I were O'brien I would ask for ALOT of money and invest well because this will be his last job as a HC once he gets fired. He is getting thrown into the lions den, alum don't want him, players don't want him. The chance he will have success with little to no backing is slim to none.

Obrien is definitely in a no-win situation ... unless, of course ... he actually wins on the field. If he does find success on the field it will be amazing how quickly fans will move to his corner. Obrien was most likely was their 10th choice ... If he does not show success within three years he will be out (like Rich Rod) ... I feel for the guy because imagine if you accepted a new job and everyone in the company welcomed you with a cold shoulder ... I think the poster who said he was hired to be fired is (sadly) correct. They will give him those three years and by that time their coaching pool will increase ...

He's prolly going to pocket $6MM or so in those 3 years....assuming he sucks, so I don't feel too sorry for him.

This situation is just ridiculos!

PSU needs to really just totally clean house. It would be nice for the former players who are supposedly "men" who learned so much under Joe Pa (what a bunch of ****) to step up and fully support the school turning over the program to a completely new staff. Instead you get a bunch of moron ex players, boosters and alumni acting like complete fools.

I can't believe that there is so much issue with O'brien being named coach. The boosters can go to hell and deal with it. The school needs to find new boosters because the current group is obviously a group of complete piece's of crap.

He's prolly going to pocket $6MM or so in those 3 years....assuming he sucks, so I don't feel too sorry for him.

It's win/win for O'brien.

You get at least $6 million guaranteed, head coaching experience at a Big BCS football school, and no one outside of PSU expects you to succeed. He was a coach at NE so that will carry weight for years. He just has to avoid getting caught up in stuff, represent himself well and he will be fine if he gets fired. He will be $6 million plus dollars richer and he will get hired a coach somewhere else if things don't go well.

Latest posts