There goes Fleming

spliff45

Rob Howe ‏@RobHoweHN 4m4 minutes ago

#Hawkeyes announce that freshman guard Andrew Fleming has been granted his release to transfer.

I'm ok with it. Saw him play a few times. His game has a looooong way to go before it's at B1G level.

The door is wide open for Moss, Williams and Bohannon. Hopefully they see this and make the most of it.

More upset about Fleming than Hutton and now with a 2nd guard gone making us way more reliant on Ellingson

I'm ok with it. Saw him play a few times. His game has a looooong way to go before it's at B1G level.

He had a ways to go and yet I can think of one player who got minutes before him that shouldn't have and was the first guy off the bench for much of the season. No wonder he transferred, anybody would when they see someone playing ahead of them when they probably should be playing low D2/D3. Hoping for one more transfer.

Why would you hope for another transfer when it is very hard finding good players available this late in the year. If Jones doesn't come back from injury, we'll be looking for students to practice against.

Why would you hope for another transfer when it is very hard finding good players available this late in the year. If Jones doesn't come back from injury, we'll be looking for students to practice against.

Fran apparently hasn't heard of grad transfers but that's the only offer that should be extended at this point. I'm fairly certain the staff or most players at the rec center could fill the player in questions shoes for practice purposes. We need the scholarship for a PG. And again, unless a grad transfer is being offered for one year an offer at this point shows incompetence by the staff. Bank the ship or grad transfer, those are the only two options.

More upset about Fleming than Hutton and now with a 2nd guard gone making us way more reliant on Ellingson[/QUOTE]

Unless he leaves too.

I know BE didn't shoot well last year but at least he has potential with a quick shooting stroke skill to contribute. Just didn't see it for Fleming and it sounds like the same deal with Hutton.

More upset about Fleming than Hutton and now with a 2nd guard gone making us way more reliant on Ellingson[/QUOTE]

Unless he leaves too.

I know BE didn't shoot well last year but at least he has potential with a quick shooting stroke skill to contribute. Just didn't see it for Fleming and it sounds like the same deal with Hutton.

He didn't just not shoot well, he shot 15% from 3 in conference play... His toughest challenge is even getting an open look, should he achieve that, he has a 15% of making the shot. I'd take Hutton, or Fleming, or just about anyone else over that.

Its crazy that kids just give up after one year. Fleming was the biggest cheerleader on the bench but probably knew he was leaving the whole time. What's wrong with getting better for a couple years then playing as an upperclassmen?

He had a ways to go and yet I can think of one player who got minutes before him that shouldn't have and was the first guy off the bench for much of the season. No wonder he transferred, anybody would when they see someone playing ahead of them when they probably should be playing low D2/D3. Hoping for one more transfer.

It is disappointing that Fran didn't get Fleming more playing time during the season. In the preconference season their were lots of blowouts that would of allowed him minutes. The first half of the conference season Iowa won most of their games by double digits and he probably didn't play for more that a couple of minutes all season. I enjoyed watching the starters, but I would of liked to see more of the freshmen when the opportunity presented itself. With a little more playing time earlier, the coaching staff might of been able to win some of the games they lost in the second half of the conference season. Williams looked like he was ready to take off in the last few games. I think one of the boring aspects of the coaching staff at Iowa is their unwillingness to showcase some of their younger talent. Their aren't many fans that wouldn't of liked to watch Fleming play when they were secure in the game. If Hutton didn't redshirt it would of been fun to see him play a few minutes. When Iowa has a pretty good lead, the games wouldn't be as boring. I can see where the coaching staff might not want fans reactions if they did play the freshmen some minutes and they did pretty good. Its probably self serving.

It is disappointing that Fran didn't get Fleming more playing time during the season. In the preconference season their were lots of blowouts that would of allowed him minutes. The first half of the conference season Iowa won most of their games by double digits and he probably didn't play for more that a couple of minutes all season. I enjoyed watching the starters, but I would of liked to see more of the freshmen when the opportunity presented itself. With a little more playing time earlier, the coaching staff might of been able to win some of the games they lost in the second half of the conference season. Williams looked like he was ready to take off in the last few games. I think one of the boring aspects of the coaching staff at Iowa is their unwillingness to showcase some of their younger talent. Their aren't many fans that wouldn't of liked to watch Fleming play when they were secure in the game. If Hutton didn't redshirt it would of been fun to see him play a few minutes. When Iowa has a pretty good lead, the games wouldn't be as boring. I can see where the coaching staff might not want fans reactions if they did play the freshmen some minutes and they did pretty good. Its probably self serving.

Agreed. Definitely the exhibition games and pre conference the younger guys should have played much more, instead they were barely used.

I'm not terribly upset about Fleming leaving. I've had my fill of offense-only players that can't stop a dribble drive or close out on a 3 pt shot!
Good luck, Andrew.

Not really overly concerned about these guys leaving. It's the new standard; the team will probably lose 1 or 2 each year going forward (in addition to graduates). And in return they might be more willing to accept transfers.

The only thing that bothers me about the announcements is that the good news on Kallenberger has kind of faded away.

More upset about Fleming than Hutton and now with a 2nd guard gone making us way more reliant on Ellingson

I'm fairly certain Jok will move to the SG position and Moss could very well be his backup (or Williams or Bohannon). I really don't seem Ellingson's minutes changing much at all.

If Jones is back, b/w him and Uhl and Baer, the 3 spot is full.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a lineup of

Williams/grad transfer -- PG
Jok - SG
Uhl - SF
Wagner - F
Cook - F

Then, you've got Baer, Ellingson, Jones, Bohannon, Moss, Kreiner, and Pemsl coming off the bench. I actually see either Kreiner or Pemsl redshirting because there simply won't be enough minutes.

I realize recruiting is a hit or miss but I sure wish our coaches could do a better job as far as who they offer.

Latest posts