The "wrong" Gary is still around

Regardless of how you view Gary Dolphin's comments, I think its quite obvious Gary Barta has no idea how to deal with personnel situations/issues...and that needs to be a strength given the position he's in. Its just kind of silly at this point.

You are a high ranking, elected official in Virginia, paint your face black to mock African Americans, but you don't lose your position because you "provide" good give-aways for us, but an announcer uses King Kong as a reference to a player's strength, as a compliment, and you lose your position. Ok, got it.

The Posse appears: Fear-Fold-Finished

Gary Barta is the biggest joke in the Big Ten...just ahead of Rutger's AD situation. How he can say ANYTHING about poor judgement is laughable. The first post in the thread is all that Hawk Fans need to know or say. "The wrong Gary got suspended."

Time for Gary to fall all the way back to Wyoming.
tenor.gif

I would say that Barta's job should be in jeopardy and should have been for awhile just because his teams dont win championships. His job is to run the program financially at a high level but many of us could do this with all the tv money coming in the last 5 years.

Programs that win a lot of championships like Stanford get a lot of look by recruits who want to be on not only a winner but to wear a ring the rest of your life. And the fans want it also.

Hawks fans would totally flip out if the BBall women win the regular season and the men and women happen to win the Bball tourneys, and if the wrestlers could get at least a Big 10 tourney championship.

Dolph's biggest 'sin', IMO, is farming his free tickets out to Wisky fans up close. Unforgivable there, esp next to head coaches wife! Very low blow. I was pissed as he!! to hear that.
And I am pretty sure Bruno didn't take offense to being called King Kong to win a game.

I posted Jon Miller's excellent column on this matter in another thread. I lay this directly at Gary Barta's feet.

Barta has a 1980s mentality (and that is being kind) in a 2019 big-time college athletics environment. He is neither smart enough nor sharp enough to lead Iowa Athletics any further. Too much mismanagement of personnel and crisis communication. A change must be made.

This thread is quite the collection of unsubstantiated "facts", personal attacks (often used when evidence is in short supply), meaningless generalizations, and a complete lack of understanding about the complexities of the job performed by today's athletic directors in major universities. Sorry, but just being blunt to save time.

This thread is quite the collection of unsubstantiated "facts", personal attacks (often used when evidence is in short supply), meaningless generalizations, and a complete lack of understanding about the complexities of the job performed by today's athletic directors in major universities. Sorry, but just being blunt to save time.
A few of these types of threads popping up.

I would say that Barta's job should be in jeopardy and should have been for awhile just because his teams dont win championships. His job is to run the program financially at a high level but many of us could do this with all the tv money coming in the last 5 years.

Programs that win a lot of championships like Stanford get a lot of look by recruits who want to be on not only a winner but to wear a ring the rest of your life. And the fans want it also.

Hawks fans would totally flip out if the BBall women win the regular season and the men and women happen to win the Bball tourneys, and if the wrestlers could get at least a Big 10 tourney championship.
Iowa results are programmed for average. This isn't the SEC which is driven to WIN. This isn't a Stanford. This isn't the NFL which is driven to WIN. In the NHL coaches are replaced at the drop of a hat because there is pressure to WIN. Wisconsin, which has replaced Iowa, is driven to WIN by the AD.

When do we hear, "Our goal this season, like every season, is to win a championship, not limp into a bowl or get into the oldest tournament, the NIT? You have to dream it, to do it.

And yes, guaranteed big $$$ which comes from the broadcast rights through the leagues and conferences creates a culture of average, get by, visionaries. In MLB you can make tons of money by being Pittsburgh, Reds, Twins without winning much of anything. You provide a schedule of games for the teams which plan to win, expect to win. Get a few fans to buy into the rebuilding talk so that you have some fans in the seats and there you go, "success."

It is what it is. Is there a voice "crying in the wilderness" that will change the "accept the average" at Iowa? A dynamic leader could change things but with the money flowing, come what may, things will probably stay the same.

Money and power, the two twins that drive most things in life, are tough to knock off their perch. Some try and succeed, others try and fail, others are eliminated, most don't do or say anything.

It I what it I.

Dolph's biggest 'sin', IMO, is farming his free tickets out to Wisky fans up close. Unforgivable there, esp next to head coaches wife! Very low blow. I was pissed as he!! to hear that. That was a pretty stupid move, no doubt it's the ultimate reason behind the Dolph/Fran animosity

And I am pretty sure Bruno didn't take offense to being called King Kong to win a game.

Can anyone help me find the podcast Jon and Deace did last year where they looked the performance of our AD? As I recall the data were pretty persuasive about how our financial picture isn't on par with our lack of athletic production. I can't find the link.

American academia - the place where good ol’ boys still cover for each other, nobody is ever accountable...and everybody gets paid.

Seriously, somebody needs to start a petition or something formal.

Can anyone help me find the podcast Jon and Deace did last year where they looked the performance of our AD? As I recall the data were pretty persuasive about how our financial picture isn't on par with our lack of athletic production. I can't find the link.
There was a better article last week about the lack of conference championships. I think we had 1 more than Rutgers over the span of Barta's tenure....if that's success then Webster needs to redefine the word. IF Gary "Deadbeat" Barta's success is measured by wins, championships, handling controversy, people management he clearly has received an F which means FLUNK in any academic setting. IF his lack of judgement and success aren't at issue then we should just call this the Vatican West as the AD position then is a life-time contract by which some "guy" gets to sit on his throne with impunity and the Hawkeye fanbase "serfs" just have to take it.

Latest posts