The Wildcat

#1DieHardHawk

What did everyone think of this?

While I generally like the wrinkles Brian has brought to the offense, I gotta admit that I'm not a big fan of this one. Personally, I think it strays a bit too much away from our offensive philosophy, especially when we really haven't recruited along those lines and the players have minimal experience executing it.

We'll see. Maybe it takes off and becomes an effective tool to use, but I can't help but feel that it's a reach and outside of our comfort zone.

What did everyone think of this?

While I generally like the wrinkles Brian has brought to the offense, I gotta admit that I'm not a big fan of this one. Personally, I think it strays a bit too much away from our offensive philosophy, especially when we really haven't recruited along those lines and the players have minimal experience executing it.

We'll see. Maybe it takes off and becomes an effective tool to use, but I can't help but feel that it's a reach and outside of our comfort zone.

Well, the wildcat was really popular for about 6 weeks about a decade ago so it makes sense that we are trying to implement it now under The Brain's leadership. Give O'Keefe the damned playbook. I'm sick of these shits, at all levels, who haven't paid their dues getting handed these high level coordinator and HC jobs.

Yeah... Not feeling the wildcat. It's an option, not the one I'd choose to focus on adding. I've wished they would add either a triple option look or at least some read option. Stanley had the occasional QB dive that worked pretty well, I don't think there's any reason we can't do more with some of the athletes they've recruited at the position. I think it could add some much needed variety to the run game, but I guess if they can accomplish the same with the wildcat so be it, just seems harder to implement.

I don't mind it if you do it like right after a big play in a quick catch em off balance kind of way. But not as a once every couple of possessions staple to the offense no not at all...

I don't mind it...but do it with two TEs and Petras off the field. If Goodson can't throw...he's no threat. I have a feeling Goodson can throw and we see that later this year.

The goal is to get another player out of the box because you have to have guys one on one on the receivers. I like it.

I hate the wildcat. You are basically telling the defense here is our best guy and he is going to get the ball now stop him. I’d be fine never seeing it again.
..and I've seen it work against the hawks many times

I hate the wildcat. You are basically telling the defense here is our best guy and he is going to get the ball now stop him. I’d be fine never seeing it again.

Iowa's been doing that for years. No difference than our mentality since the beginning of time. At least this time were doing it in a formation other than the power I.

This is one of the typical Iowa fan threads - might be any fanbase, but I don't usually lurk other boards.

Iowa Fan: 'The offense is stale, we need a new look or new plays! Fire the coaches!'
Iowa runs a new look or a new play, but it doesn't instantly result in 6 points.
Iowa Fan: 'That new look is horrble. They should just stick with their bread and butter!! Stupid coaches trying to get all cute. Fire them all!!'

That said, if Goodson doesn't throw it in the next 2 times they line up, then you got to shelve it. Or, run a reverse to Petras and let him wing it.

It is okay to have in your playbook if you have a really good RB and you run a jet sweep look off it. But you can only use it at most like 5 times a year and 2 of them have to actually be jet sweeps.

I'm sure it's the new forum and the scaling it uses, but your signature takes up most of an entire screen when you post.

Capture.jpg

I don't mind the wildcat but you can't do the same thing every time. To my knowledge Goodson is not a threat to throw so the defense can just pack the box. You have to be more creative if you're going to run that.