The WAY too early bowl projections

ssckelley

Bowl projections after week 3???? These are way too early but it's Tuesday and we've over analyzed the Kent State game to the point we are now over analyzing Nebraska vs MSU. So let's over analyze some way too early bowl projections made by some USA Today writer.

Iowa in the Fiesta Bowl.....hmmmm.....looks like they have Ohio State winning out and beating Iowa in the Big Ten Championship game.

1632251319196.png

I don't think OU makes the CFP. I'd bet soundly against this.

I probably would too but who is going to stand in their way in the Big 12? Looking at their schedule it appears their toughest games will be @ Kansas St, @ Texas, and they have ISU at home. I am guessing as it stands right now they are favored to win every game remaining on their schedule. Granted they will probably get upset along the way but I can see why someone would project them to reach the CFP as of right now. Same is true with Oregon, I don't believe they are one of the top 4 teams in the country either, but win the games on your schedule and you're in.

Again, all of this is WAY too early and a lot is going to change over the next 10 weeks.

Dont forget about West Virginia. They are pretty good this year.

Are they? They did lose at Maryland. They get them at home this Saturday, I'm sure the Sooners are favored.

Oklahoma State will give them a tough battle too. Heck anyone not named Kansas may give the Sooners a battle, hell they may only win 7 or 8 games for all I know. lol

Unless things change OU's offense actually isn't that good. That's the real problem with their team. Somebody will jump up and bite them. If they were just rolling teams in the noncon I think you could be skeptical of who would beat them, but when you beat NU and Tulane by one score each, I think they end the season with 2 losses.

Hawks could make the CFP as a #4.

Going up against 'Bama. Could be ugly?

Saban would be apt to lay the wood remembering "the catch"

I'm also keeping my eye (ear) on Cow-Turd to see how he responds to the Hawks if we keep winning.

Hawks could make the CFP as a #4.

Going up against 'Bama. Could be ugly?

Saban would be apt to lay the wood remembering "the catch"

Which would you rather have, the scenario in my original post and a Fiesta Bowl win or get into the playoffs and getting the “wood” laid to us by ‘Bama?

I think the scenario in my post has Iowa with 2 losses, a regular season loss and a loss to Ohio State in the Big Ten championship game. Adding a Fiesta Bowl trophy would be kinda neat.

Iowa getting into the playoffs means they don’t have more than 1 loss and they won the championship game. So while it would suck to lose the last game of the year adding a Big Ten championship trophy would be neat and a fun regular season. This is the option I’d prefer.

Which would you rather have, the scenario in my original post and a Fiesta Bowl win or get into the playoffs and getting the “wood” laid to us by ‘Bama?

I think the scenario in my post has Iowa with 2 losses, a regular season loss and a loss to Ohio State in the Big Ten championship game. Adding a Fiesta Bowl trophy would be kinda neat.

Iowa getting into the playoffs means they don’t have more than 1 loss and they won the championship game. So while it would suck to lose the last game of the year adding a Big Ten championship trophy would be neat and a fun regular season. This is the option I’d prefer.

I'd prefer to win the B1G, go undefeated, get iced out of the playoff because Georgia loses to Bama by a point in the SEC title game and only falls to third, Oregon and Oklahoma get in as 2 and 4 and then Iowa wins the Fiesta Bowl and we can pull a Central Florida and pretend like we are national champs because we went undefeated and got iced out of the playoff. That's the best scenario.

I'd prefer to win the B1G, go undefeated, get iced out of the playoff because Georgia loses to Bama by a point in the SEC title game and only falls to third, Oregon and Oklahoma get in as 2 and 4 and then Iowa wins the Fiesta Bowl and we can pull a Central Florida and pretend like we are national champs because we went undefeated and got iced out of the playoff. That's the best scenario.

I DIDN'T GIVE YOU THAT OPTION!!!!

You dork

I DIDN'T GIVE YOU THAT OPTION!!!!

You dork
I WANT THE SCENARIO WHERE IOWA DOESN'T LOSE AND DOESN'T HAVE TO WALTZ IN AND PLAY AN ACTUALLY ELITE TEAM SO THAT WE CAN PRETEND WE ARE ELITE RATHER THAN HAVING SOME SHITSHOW GAME LIKE THAT ROSE BOWL GAME WHERE THAT GUY FROM STANDFORD HAD LIKE 9 TOUCHDOWNS AT HALFTIME AGAINST US AND THEN THE STANDFORD BAND CAME OUT IN COW COSTUMES AND EMBARRASSED THE CRAP OUT OF US.

I WANT THE SCENARIO WHERE IOWA DOESN'T LOSE AND DOESN'T HAVE TO WALTZ IN AND PLAY AN ACTUALLY ELITE TEAM SO THAT WE CAN PRETEND WE ARE ELITE RATHER THAN HAVING SOME SHITSHOW GAME LIKE THAT ROSE BOWL GAME WHERE THAT GUY FROM STANDFORD HAD LIKE 9 TOUCHDOWNS AT HALFTIME AGAINST US AND THEN THE STANDFORD BAND CAME OUT IN COW COSTUMES AND EMBARRASSED THE CRAP OUT OF US.

SHUT UP YOU NORTHWESTERN FANBOY, WE WON THE 2ND HALF OF THAT GAME!

Interesting you brought up that 2015 team as it's a similar situation I've brought up. That teams was only inches from getting the opportunity to get their ass kicked by Alabama in the playoffs, which would have been less embarrassing than what happened in the Rose Bowl.

BTW, to go off topic a bit, this is exactly why we don't need expanded playoffs.

I like where your heads at I really do. That said, I'm the fan that regardless of how ugly it would be would want to play the truly elites. Why? Simply because just once I'd like to see us play a Bama or another truly elite program at the end of the year. Would we get pummeled? Most likely, but as a fan I'd much rather get our asses handed to us by the best of the best, then find a way to be on the outside looking in and being a UCF that claims a natty simply because they ran the table, but got left out of the conversation that really mattered. Just once I'd like to see us on the same field as a Bama at the end of the year, because I know based on the nature of the game that we'll never have the opportunity to face them in a OOC game.

Besides if Oklahoma home can consistently get their asses handed to them in the playoffs year in and year out why can't we have that opportunity once regardless of the outcome. Even being massacred in the playoffs, IMO would be a much better way to end a 1 loss (2 counting the post season) season then taking the UCF approach and trying to convince the world your relevant by claiming a championship you never got to compete for.

SHUT UP YOU NORTHWESTERN FANBOY, WE WON THE 2ND HALF OF THAT GAME!

Interesting you brought up that 2015 team as it's a similar situation I've brought up. That teams was only inches from getting the opportunity to get their ass kicked by Alabama in the playoffs, which would have been less embarrassing than what happened in the Rose Bowl.

BTW, to go off topic a bit, this is exactly why we don't need expanded playoffs.

If there's ever an argument for a team not wanting to be there than that was the game. Despite it being a Rose Bowl, could it have been a who gives a shit moment, for a team based on coming up seconds short of being in the playoffs and it ultimately being a consolation prize?

IMO it's only a hypothetically, because I honestly don't believe this mentality and think it's nothing more than an excuse, but who's to say it doesn't happen. McCaffery proved that day and continues to do so that he's the real deal, but going in did we see that game as the coveted Rose Bowl or just a consolation prize. If we went in viewing it as a consolation prize and trained that way going in then the outcome isn't so shocking. Could the outcome had been any different had we got there under different circumstances, I'm not one to believe so, but who knows.

If there's ever an argument for a team not wanting to be there than that was the game. Despite it being a Rose Bowl, could it have been a who gives a shit moment, for a team based on coming up seconds short of being in the playoffs and it ultimately being a consolation prize?

IMO it's only a hypothetically, because I honestly don't believe this mentality and think it's nothing more than an excuse, but who's to say it doesn't happen. McCaffery proved that day and continues to do so that he's the real deal, but going in did we see that game as the coveted Rose Bowl or just a consolation prize. If we went in viewing it as a consolation prize and trained that way going in then the outcome isn't so shocking. Could the outcome had been any different had we got there under different circumstances, I'm not one to believe so, but who knows.

Whatever let down they experienced after that championship game quickly faded away once it was announced they were in the Rose Bowl. Hell the fan base was damn near more excited to be in the Rose Bowl than the playoffs, a Rose Bowl bid is still very much coveted around here. The fact is Stanford kicked the shit out of Iowa, the air went out of the sails quickly after the pick 6 and then the McCaffery punt return. If you are a football player and don't want to be in the Rose Bowl then you have no business playing college football for Iowa.

I like where your heads at I really do. That said, I'm the fan that regardless of how ugly it would be would want to play the truly elites. Why? Simply because just once I'd like to see us play a Bama or another truly elite program at the end of the year. Would we get pummeled? Most likely, but as a fan I'd much rather get our asses handed to us by the best of the best, then find a way to be on the outside looking in and being a UCF that claims a natty simply because they ran the table, but got left out of the conversation that really mattered. Just once I'd like to see us on the same field as a Bama at the end of the year, because I know based on the nature of the game that we'll never have the opportunity to face them in a OOC game.

Besides if Oklahoma home can consistently get their asses handed to them in the playoffs year in and year out why can't we have that opportunity once regardless of the outcome. Even being massacred in the playoffs, IMO would be a much better way to end a 1 loss (2 counting the post season) season then taking the UCF approach and trying to convince the world your relevant by claiming a championship you never got to compete for.
I truly would love to see Iowa play Alabama this season.

Whatever let down they experienced after that championship game quickly faded away once it was announced they were in the Rose Bowl. Hell the fan base was damn near more excited to be in the Rose Bowl than the playoffs, a Rose Bowl bid is still very much coveted around here. The fact is Stanford kicked the shit out of Iowa, the air went out of the sails quickly after the pick 6 and then the McCaffery punt return. If you are a football player and don't want to be in the Rose Bowl then you have no business playing college football for Iowa.
You tell them. The issue was that Iowa had several injuries that were starting anyway and that made superman look more super and Iowa didn't adjust, nor did they mark him. That one was on the coaches. I'm not sure they were aware of superman. It was like teams playing Tim Dwight and no clue who he was.

Superman had 74 yards total against the Fighting Fitzes earlier.

Last edited:

Latest posts