The way forward

desihawk

To my own surprise, yesterday's loss (which I didn't find as unexpected as some) while disappointing might yet prove the turning point that leads to an excellent season. Some observations from yesterday will provide the rationale.

While the dl got hashed in the 4th, this is not a bad dl. Problem is that the top was awfully lopsided. Alabama's dl woulda been gassed as well. Our offense scored awfully quickly the times that it did, and the ol's gaffes happened at particularly inopportune moments. Our coaches / HC showwed no killer instinct at the end. Refs buggered Iowa. Finally, this loss shd be considered (excepting the prestige pov) equivalent to a loss to a team like NE, so it's not the same as say losing to a truly garbage team.

Going ahead, a bit of tweaking to allow offensive and defensive compatibility of philosophies. Phil must insert a couple more DL even freshmen in the rotation in the first half even at the expense of yardage or take risks (give up bigger plays but don't gas the guys on prolonGed drives). No need for wholesale panic, this game should be put to teaching and learning use. There isn't a team in the big west that's out of our league. We can talkvabout the ccg another day.

To my own surprise, yesterday's loss (which I didn't find as unexpected as some) while disappointing might yet prove the turning point that leads to an excellent season. Some observations from yesterday will provide the rationale.

While the dl got hashed in the 4th, this is not a bad dl. Problem is that the top was awfully lopsided. Alabama's dl woulda been gassed as well. Our offense scored awfully quickly the times that it did, and the ol's gaffes happened at particularly inopportune moments. Our coaches / HC showwed no killer instinct at the end. Refs buggered Iowa. Finally, this loss shd be considered (excepting the prestige pov) equivalent to a loss to a team like NE, so it's not the same as say losing to a truly garbage team.

Going ahead, a bit of tweaking to allow offensive and defensive compatibility of philosophies. Phil must insert a couple more DL even freshmen in the rotation in the first half even at the expense of yardage or take risks (give up bigger plays but don't gas the guys on prolonGed drives). No need for wholesale panic, this game should be put to teaching and learning use. There isn't a team in the big west that's out of our league. We can talkvabout the ccg another day.
I completely agree with everything you wrote.

Other than 2004, has KF ever made in season changes to scheme/philosophy ?

Why no Raider package? It's not 100% successful but playing the base 4-3 doesn't work anymore. Teams have learnt our system and our tendencies.

Last year we added a few wrinkles but those seem to be gone this year.

We are a bad team.

There is hope, but we all expect the status quo

Why no Raider package? It's not 100% successful but playing the base 4-3 doesn't work anymore. Teams have learnt our system and our tendencies.

We are a bad team.

I do think Phil Parker's defensive tendencies (not to mention GD's offense is a bit different from KOK's was) have evolved significantly compared to when he took over. Also last year KF was (to me anyway) new-Kirk. What we saw yesterday however in the 4th was vintage prehistoric Kirk. All said, the fact does remain that KF has always considered OOC outings as preseason (in fact, he has called them preseason games) games and uses them for a purpose.

What I'm suggesting are tweaks going forward. If this year's offense is better suited to long strikes and such more so than steady physicality to advance, the defense must also be setup accordingly. It's suicidal to let the defense bake for extended periods on the field, that too game after game. Phil has the tools and knowhow, and I am hopefulthat we will see this going forward. Similarly, if the offense isn't physical enough to impose 3-4 yards at will, then the OC cannot pucker up when the game is tight, he must still play loose (and CJ isn't a nervous nellie.)

We are a bad team.

I think the reason we don't see it is its not 100% effective. If we stay in base and they score, it's an execution problem. If we do something different and they score, it was a coaching mistake. Kirk doesn't like to lose because of "coaching mistakes" so it's easier to stick to the norm and blame execution. If we try a hurry up offense and go 3 and out, scrap it. If we have the raider package in and they get a big play, scrap it. I don't think Kirk means to think that way, but I truly think that's how his mind works.

Latest posts