The Unmentioned Topic: Isn't Davis In Charge of QB Decision?

IIRC Greg Davis has intimated that CJB has the best QB skills and I think GD would want to have CJ as #1. I think GD is overuled by KF on QB and that is why JR starts.

I think JR deserved to start at the beginning of the year because if he improved on 2013 he should be better than above avg. But after the first 3 games most of us wondered if JR didnt regress a little or get too conservative.

I think after Pitt and Purdue during bye weeks GD made it sound like he liked CJ as #1. Is that correct?

But even at that GD doesnt call a very good game overall with too much outside zone with slow RBs.

I just think of all people who should care about having the best qb on the field and has the least incentive to play favorites, it's Davis. He has been in the coaching game for decades and his legacy is on the line. Jake's 2 yard throws on 3rd and 7 are going to make a lasting impact on how Davis is remembered (Vince Young is yesterday's news). If Davis thinks CJ is the better QB, he needs to get some balls and speak up...his job is rightfully on the line.

Just look back to when O'Keefe was pushing for Stanzi to play. A trusted OC that worked for Kirk for however many years, had to really push to make that change..

I just think of all people who should care about having the best qb on the field and has the least incentive to play favorites, it's Davis. He has been in the coaching game for decades and his legacy is on the line. Jake's 2 yard throws on 3rd and 7 are going to make a lasting impact on how Davis is remembered (Vince Young is yesterday's news). If Davis thinks CJ is the better QB, he needs to get some balls and speak up...his job is rightfully on the line.

Where were all the teams begging for Greg Davis to coach their offense?

You don't believe he enjoys cashing a paycheck?
He is basically in the twilight of his career. Don't you suppose? And if he wants to continue coaching at this level I would think people with football awareness would realize his hands were tied and he and KF didn't mesh well. At all. He is not going to burn bridges.

Plus, KF admitted earlier this season that a person would find him in the offensive strategy room, not defensive. And acknowledged he probably spends too much time in there.

Look at GD's comments since he has been here. He has always believed in open competition. And that includes GAME PERFORMANCE.

Not defending his playcalling at all. But we may never know who takes majority of blame in that area. GD, KF or JR.

You can only take so much though. (Don't forget KOK had been looking for jobs well before leaving.) That is why I predict both GD and CJB are gone regardless of bowl game outcome.

Davis ain't at Iowa to bolster his legacy. He's here to bolster his retirement accounts.

Ignorant statement. Davis is 64 yrs old and has been coaching since 1973. He has been the offensive coordinator for Arkansas, Georgia, North Carolina and Texas. In 2008 alone, he was the 2nd highest paid assistant coach in the nation, making $425,000 per year for the next three years. The guy is a millionaire many times over, and is at retirement age. You don't think he could have got a job at dozens of schools with that resume? He is not coaching for the paychecks, and he most definitely cares about his legacy. Teenage girl softball players are super competitive...you don't think a guy who has coached major college football in the SEC, Big 12, and Big 10 isn't competitive as hell? If Ferentz is messing with his offense, you better believe he's got all the incentive in the world to fight for his guy. The question is, why isn't he doing it?

Davis ain't at Iowa to bolster his legacy. He's here to bolster his retirement accounts.

Last edited:
^The thing about money is, most people always want more of it. Davis was unemployed for a year before coming here, so maybe he was getting bored. Do you honestly believe he came to Iowa thinking he could improve on his record of coaching in two MNC games and winning one of them?

Ferentz has said he is an offensive guy, and hangs out in their rooms. Iowa's starting quarterback decision is Kirk's. Period. Just like when KOK wanted Stanzi to start the 2008 season and Kirk went with Jake until the gut feeling second half at Pitt. It's not even debatable

Ignorant statement. Davis is 64 yrs old and has been coaching since 1973. He has been the offensive coordinator for Arkansas, Georgia, North Carolina and Texas. In 2008 alone, he was the 2nd highest paid assistant coach in the nation, making $425,000 per year for the next three years. The guy is a millionaire many times over, and is at retirement age. You don't think he could have got a job at dozens of schools with that resume? He is not coaching for the paychecks, and he most definitely cares about his legacy. Teenage girl softball players are super competitive...you don't think a guy who has coached major college football in the SEC, Big 12, and Big 10 isn't competitive as hell? If Ferentz is messing with his offense, you better believe he's got all the incentive in the world to fight for his guy. The question is, why isn't he doing it?

I have reviewed every post you have on this thread, iowalaw and it was a huge waste of time. You are so uninformed on this topic it isn't even fair to debate you on it.

See what Jon said, for starters. Then ask yourself if you REALLY think KF would let someone else make the call for the starting QB. And your talk about legacy for Davis is idiotic. The only people who will remember him for what he did at Iowa will be Iowa fans. Do you think he took this job so that his place in football history would be determined by how he did at Iowa in the last few years of a 30+ year career? Do you honestly think if a book were written on his career it would give final judgement on his career based upon what he did at Iowa as opposed to what he did at Texas, where he had QBs winning conference titles and a vying for national championships?

Again, it isn't even fair to debate you on any of this, so I will stop.

Just look back to when O'Keefe was pushing for Stanzi to play. A trusted OC that worked for Kirk for however many years, had to really push to make that change..
Exactly
Back then I asked my source if KOK had threatened to quit and his response was not to put words in his mouth

Did O'Keefe report to Ferentz the same way in respect to QB development? Because outside of Nate Chandler and JC O'Keefe had a pretty good run coaching QBs....

I'm not sure I would agree with that statement. Sure O'Keefe did some good with Stanzi, but I'm not sure QB development was one of his strengths.

http://hawkeyenation.com/forum/blog.php?48085-tubahawk

I wrote this blog 5 years ago about O'Keefe, and in hindsight O'Keefe may have been better than we all realized, but I still feel this way about his QB development.

Latest posts