The Starting Lineup Needs to Be:

storminspank

Justin VanLaere
Payne
Gatens
May
Fuller
Cole

Yes, that means Gatens and May are playing a spot up from their normal spots, but this puts the best players right now on the floor.

Gatens looked very smooth at the 2 tonight. Very smooth.

The 2 is Gatens natural position, so he should do well there. Same thing for May, the 3 is a natural fit for him. Both guys will have their work cut out for them as far as guarding quicker guys, but they are smart and gamers, they will grow and do the job. The plus in that regard is that they should be stronger and more physical, and as they use that to their advantage ( the more they play, the more they learn to play to their strengths in the positions ) it will only help the team.

These are the things that Lick will ultimately pay for..

Seriously what is Lick doing starting Bawinkel.. Bawinkel played 23 minutes tonight had a 0 points, 2 boards, 0 assists and 0 steals. Honestly he provides nothing to this team, IMO.

May brings more to the table and shoots the 3 just as efficient as Bawinkel has this season. May creates a potential Match-up problem, a Big Ten Body onto, Rebounding, Etc... Etc... Eric May's line tonight 33 Minutes and 18 points, 8 boards,1 assist and 1 steals. He isn't a starter on this team. Please!!

This is a Big time headscratcher.........

Last edited:
HawkPrdatr40 - I believe the reasoning behind Bawinkel's start tonight was simply experience. Additionally, many have said that May gets a bit too amped up when starting vs coming off the bench (similar to Stanzi in football) so that might have played into it as well as the staff knew he would be eager to help fill the void left by Tucker.

Stormin - I couldn't help but think to myself much of the night that Tucker being out might be a blessing in disguise in that it helped identify what I also believe to be the most athletic lineup we can currently put on the floor. I would be very surprised if we don't see that rotation much of the Purdue game barring injury/fouls, etc. with Cougill slowly reclaiming a bit more playing time as health and conditioning allow.

I agree with your line up spank. All in all that's not that bad of a line up just not deep enough and lacks experience in key positions.

HawkPrdatr40 - I believe the reasoning behind Bawinkel's start tonight was simply experience. Additionally, many have said that May gets a bit too amped up when starting vs coming off the bench (similar to Stanzi in football) so that might have played into it as well as the staff knew he would be eager to help fill the void left by Tucker.

Stormin - I couldn't help but think to myself much of the night that Tucker being out might be a blessing in disguise in that it helped identify what I also believe to be the most athletic lineup we can currently put on the floor. I would be very surprised if we don't see that rotation much of the Purdue game barring injury/fouls, etc. with Cougill slowly reclaiming a bit more playing time as health and conditioning allow.
I think that is a good point on starting Bawinkle and bringing May off the bench. May will be in by the first TV timeout and probably will play the same amount of minutes overall.

Payne
Gatens
May
Fuller
Cole

Yes, that means Gatens and May are playing a spot up from their normal spots, but this puts the best players right now on the floor.

Agreed. These seem to be our most productive players. I'm from the school of thought that you start your best players, and the bench players provide them relief when they need a rest. Not the other way around.

Agreed. These seem to be our most productive players. I'm from the school of thought that you start your best players, and the bench players provide them relief when they need a rest. Not the other way around.

I don't think it matters much, as your best players will get the most minutes. It isn't like May is going to play 36-40 min. a game, so starting is really irrelevant.

I agree, that is the best lineup they can possibly put out right now. That lineup is also capable of logging lots of minutes. Actually I prefer this lineup to any one with Tucker in it.

These are the things that Lick will ultimately pay for..

Seriously what is Lick doing starting Bawinkel.. Bawinkel played 23 minutes tonight had a 0 points, 2 boards, 0 assists and 0 steals. Honestly he provides nothing to this team, IMO.

May brings more to the table and shoots the 3 just as efficient as Bawinkel has this season. May creates a potential Match-up problem, a Big Ten Body onto, Rebounding, Etc... Etc... Eric May's line tonight 33 Minutes and 18 points, 8 boards,1 assist and 1 steals. He isn't a starter on this team. Please!!

This is a Big time headscratcher.........

Completely agree. Starting Bauwkinle merely because of "experience" may be the case, but it is poor coaching. This is our last Big Ten warm up, if anything, May needed the experience of starting. Bauwkinkle is a senior and he is not the future, May is. May is already a much better player and will only benefit from playing as much as possible. Starting Bauwinkle is just ridiculous.

I too am not a strong believer in starting Bawinkle...I watched him play in H.S. and he didn't impress me then and doesn't impress me now..

Even if May is too amped up to start, start him anyway...

i like his abilities and what he brings to the court every night

I don't think it matters much, as your best players will get the most minutes. It isn't like May is going to play 36-40 min. a game, so starting is really irrelevant.

I'm with 1977. Start the best players.. Not like May is going to play 35-40 mins? May played 33 minutes. Start him he is one of best players.

Starting out the game with a weak line-up. That makes sense.

Did May come off the bench in High School?? lol nevermind..

I'm with 1977. Start the best players.. Not like May is going to play 35-40 mins? May played 33 minutes. Start him he is one of best players.

Starting out the game with a weak line-up. That makes sense.

Did May come off the bench in High School?? lol nevermind..

May is going to play more minutes than Bawinkel no matter who starts. My point was that unless you really plan on playing May pretty much the whole game, does it really matter if he rest between the 12min to 8 min marks, or if he comes in during the first time out. He will play the majority of the game, regardless if he starts or not.

Starting out the game with a weak line-up. That makes sense.QUOTE]

That's why I'm a fan of starting your best players. If I was coach, my philosophy would be to try and set the tone early and get off to a good start. Therefore I would start my best players. Not that it's the only right way to coach, that's just how I would do it. It's the only thing that makes sense to me.

Starting out the game with a weak line-up. That makes sense.QUOTE]

That's why I'm a fan of starting your best players. If I was coach, my philosophy would be to try and set the tone early and get off to a good start. Therefore I would start my best players. Not that it's the only right way to coach, that's just how I would do it. It's the only thing that makes sense to me.

It's stupid to not start your best players. Why start Bawinkle, so a team can have a guard take him to the hole and score 6 easy points before you even know what happened. Iowa is not good enough to be spotting teams early leads.

It is ridiculos to say May is too amped up to start, so he should come off the bench. Hell start him 5 games and he will learn to control his emotions.

Too amped? seriously? That is just ridiculos.

Payne
Gatens
May
Fuller
Cole

Agree completely with the starting 5. I, like other posters, am a little confused with the bolded statement. Isn't Gatens a more "natural" 2 and May a more "natural" 3? IMO, I would argue that not only is this our best starting lineup, it also plays our guys in spots where they can be most successful.

Latest posts