The Shadow on conference expansion

O

OO44

I was in Iowa City on Friday and stopped at the Wig & Pen to see my friend, Dick Querry. Then the Dark One walked in. Nothing had been scheduled. However, he did have some good information about the expansion plans in BCS conferences.

His friend in the south, Harry the Hat, called him that morning to tell him that the SEC might pull the trigger before the Big Ten or the Pac Ten. Harry said that Mike Slive, the Boss Hogg of the SEC, has been talking to Texas A&M and Virginia Tech. A&M is tired of being the little brother to the Longhorns.
Florida does not want FSU or Miami in the league to share all the money of the SEC TV contract which will be renegotiated upward if teams are added. A&M would add the Texas TV markets while Virginia Tech would add the DC/Baltimore market.

That should leave Texas free to join the Big Ten without the A&M tagalong. The Shadow thinks the Big Ten will add more in the sunbelt with Georgia Tech. Rutgers, Maryland and Notre Dame would complete the league at 16. BC is a possibility but the Domers may not want another Catholic school to share in the grab for TV dollars.

Good stuff as always from the Shadow. But I still don't think Texas joins the Big Ten. Chip Brown at Orangebloods (who has been all over this expansion) says Texas wants no part of being the southern boundary of the Big Ten.

That is a novel rumor. Would change the Pac Ten offer from Texas A & M to Nebraska and Missouri? Who gets left out? Texas Tech,Neb.,Mo,Col,.Ok,and OK St.? Leaving KU,KSU,ISU,and Baylor out? Or would KU replace Tech?

As for the Big Ten lineup...I would be shocked with Ga. Tech. Now, Rutgers,Texas,Maryland,and ND make some sense. It would really be a naked money grab into big population centers,no doubt. Atlanta,DC,Texas,NYC/NJ,and ND? I smell ratings.

Will be interesting to see what happens to Kansas. I can't see a basketball juggernaut like them being left out in the wind to land in a conference like the Mountain West Conference. I think they would be a nice fit for the Pac-10 and a nice rival for UCLA.

Man oh man,

There must be a lot of scurrying going on behind the scenes. Would hate to see pac-10 and SEC pull the trigger and one up the Big 10, where we would be left without any powers like Texas or ND. Really, if that would happen and let's say the Pac10 gets Texas AND Oklahoma and the SEC grabs A&M and a florida or virginia combo and you have to wonder if it benefited the Big 10 at all or just made the PAc10 and SEC more marketable.

Things are getting interesting.....

If the dollar figures that have been thrown around for potential revenue for each member school were a ND or Texas or GT to join the Big Ten to join the Big 10 I think it is reasonable to expect that the additional travel expenses for the minor sports would more than be offset by the additional income. Probably the biggest impact would be to the fan bases of the respective schools from a traveling standpoint.

With hi-def television, the internet and air travel what it is Texas isn't all that far from Happy Valley anymore.

iahawk72

Down here in SEC territory we are hearing TAMU and VA Tech as well. Two weeks ago it was Miami and FSU. Not hearing that at all now. Maybe it is true that Florida put the foot down on that one. Rumor is that Florida makes close to 30 mil a year with their 17 from the SEC contract and 10 from their own deal.

One of the big issues with the SEC is that LSU is concerned because they don't want to end up in a Big 12 North type situation. They are OKAY with TAMU, but they don't want a bunch more teams like them that they might have to play in an expanded western division.

Also, just listened to an interview from Austin. Word is the Baylor power move has been blocked and that, in fact, TAMU wants away from Texas and now has enough pull to get it down. So, it looks like Texas might be less encumbered than we previously thought.

I was in Iowa City on Friday and stopped at the Wig & Pen to see my friend, Dick Querry. Then the Dark One walked in. Nothing had been scheduled. However, he did have some good information about the expansion plans in BCS conferences.

His friend in the south, Harry the Hat, called him that morning to tell him that the SEC might pull the trigger before the Big Ten or the Pac Ten. Harry said that Mike Slive, the Boss Hogg of the SEC, has been talking to Texas A&M and Virginia Tech. A&M is tired of being the little brother to the Longhorns.
Florida does not want FSU or Miami in the league to share all the money of the SEC TV contract which will be renegotiated upward if teams are added. A&M would add the Texas TV markets while Virginia Tech would add the DC/Baltimore market.

That should leave Texas free to join the Big Ten without the A&M tagalong. The Shadow thinks the Big Ten will add more in the sunbelt with Georgia Tech. Rutgers, Maryland and Notre Dame would complete the league at 16. BC is a possibility but the Domers may not want another Catholic school to share in the grab for TV dollars.

Who are the dark one, harry the hat. and the shadow?

Good stuff as always from the Shadow. But I still don't think Texas joins the Big Ten. Chip Brown at Orangebloods (who has been all over this expansion) says Texas wants no part of being the southern boundary of the Big Ten.

Then how did Chip Brown explain away the documented conversations between the presidents of Ohio State and Texas on this topic?

Those disclosures mentioned an "A&M problem" which may now be solved.

I keep thinking Ga Tech and Maryland will end up in B10.

Seems weird that GT could be in the Big Ten when they couldn't even represent decently for their bowl game against us. We keep hearing about Vandy and GT. It really would indicate that TV money had become the dominant driver, because they aren't going to represent at the ticket booth or for the local economy.