The Search: Saturday Afternoon

With a $2 million buyout, I don't know that Gregory is the guy. Personally Wojcik (Tulsa) has a much better record and no big buyout. Both are Mich St guys too.....if that is a plus.

Last edited:
Gregory would be a very solid choice. I have a feeling Hawkeye fans would take to this guy as soon as he holds his first press conference. Very charismatic, outgoing and a real people person. Let's hope Barta finalizes this deal.

JHHAWK, I remember when "mid major" Dayton beat Lute Olson & the Hawks in the NCAA tourney. They have a great basketball history & tradition there. Strong academic tradition as well which will be important to the next Head Hawk's success.

if you watched Dayton the other night against Illinois, you have to like there hustle and desire. my only concern is recruiting to meet our academic requirements.

With a $2 million buyout, I don't know that Gregory is the guy. Personally Wojcek (Tulsa) has a much better record and no big buyout. Both are Mich St guys too.....if that is a plus.

I've heard this guy's name a lot. Wojcek or Wojcik? Can anybody impress me with his record? Or is there a Youtube video out there like the Gregory one? Maybe I'll look that up.

I don't consider Dayton as a mid-major. Any league that has Temple and Xavier in it is no mid major league.

I agree with vbeach. I am hoping for Wojcik but could get behind Gregory(or whoever we hire) easily. Still nothing's for sure. 12 teams still playing by my count.

Wojcik:

1st Year: 11 wins.(The team averaged about 7 wins the 3 years before he arrived.)
2nd Year: 20 wins.
3rd Year: 25 wins.
4th Year: 25 wins.
5th Year: 23 wins.

Made the Conference Tournament championship game 2 times I think and lost to Memphis both times.

Player Bio: Doug Wojcik - Men's Basketball - The University of Tulsa Official Athletic Site

Thanks vbeachawk.
Couldn't find any good videos. There are some videos of media day, but not much more than that. Good resume, low key kind of guy, but not dull and reserved like coach Lick.

Re Wojcik, Tulsa has a pretty good track record of hiring coaches that go on to be big-time D1 coaches. Tubby, Self, and Nolan Richardson. I guess since Self they haven't had any standouts, but maybe Wijcik is the next one. It wouldn't be a huge shock if he was.

Think about it. He was under a great mentor twice, at UNC and Michigan State. He now has head coaching experience at a mid-major with a track record for finding guys that go on to be great head coaches at the major schools. I would want to get a better feel for how strongly he could recruit. If I felt comfortable there I think he might be a pretty good hire.

I would also be curious as to what the attraction was for him to be at UNC and then MSU. Lots of times guys are assistants at a school like that until they get their first head coaching position. He went from one to another. Is that indicative of him being a great recruiter? Any help on that front would be appreciated.

THawki.....check out Wojcik's assistants at the bottom of his profile. One with strong Chicago connections and one with strong AAU connections. Appears he understands how the game is played.

I've said many times, I'd be thrilled with Wojcik. Gregory wouldn't be a bad hire, but Woj is one of 3-4 that would excite me.

True, but we'll get some good hints in the recruiting and talent evaluation areas very quickly, based on what he does with the available ride(s).

Good point Freddy...the end result might be a couple of years, but we should be able to see where it's trending before then.

Blizzard man here. You can have your busters and your dillys.

Wojo will bring the Mojo back to Iowa!

if you watched Dayton the other night against Illinois, you have to like there hustle and desire. my only concern is recruiting to meet our academic requirements.
The announcers for the Illinois game said that every 4-year player under Gregory had graduated if that will alleviate your concerns a bit.

Latest posts