The Reverse Play and Kirk's response to that

HaydenHawk56

One of the guys asked him in the presser about what was the reasoning behind running the reverse. Kirk said something to the effect of "they are nice when they work and not so nice when they don't." Although I think there is technical truth to that behind this obvious deflection on Brian's behalf, man on man has the reverse play, when called, has been a drive killer for this program more often than not. I'm sure we can point to other untimely plays were Iowa seems to be getting a little momentum and then they throw in the reverse (or other xyz random cute play) that loses 10+ yards and we get off schedule killing any momentum we just built up.

Far to often, Iowa's play calling on offense can't seem to get out of it's own way. IMHO, for the personal that is on this team, anything that is slow developing (especially in the red-zone areas or near it), unless Iowa has complete command of the game, she be very limited if not eliminated from the playbook. In fact, this team seem to play better with a faster tempo....probably because it gives them less time to think about things and for the opponent less time to get a read on things.

To be fair, I'm sort of ambivalent about the reverse.

On one hand, we gotta do SOMETHING! Some sort of wrinkle. And that's the field position where you run it. At least, back in the day when TLC's "Don't Go Chasing Waterfalls" was all over the radio and Nebraska was relevant.

On the other hand, a play that can lead to significant loss if it goes wrong is maybe not the kind of thing for an offense that often goes backward. Especially against a team with an exceptional run defense.

To be fair, I'm sort of ambivalent about the reverse.

On one hand, we gotta do SOMETHING! Some sort of wrinkle. And that's the field position where you run it. At least, back in the day when TLC's "Don't Go Chasing Waterfalls" was all over the radio and Nebraska was relevant.

On the other hand, a play that can lead to significant loss if it goes wrong is maybe not the kind of thing for an offense that often goes backward. Especially against a team with an exceptional run defense.
This. And Illinois showed the entire game that if they were anything, they were disciplined. If that play works it looks genius but there was too much risk for what ended up happening.

It was just another, in a long list, of unnecessary, stupidly timed plays under BF (and GD, before him). As mentioned by Hayden - this team is not built to run slow-developing plays. Know the f who you are and what you're capable of - especially against a team that had been blowing up your screens and containing the edges all night!

The Ferentzes have an excruciatingly long history of jamming square pegs into dogmatic round holes and I just get more and more sickened by them with each game.

At the game and It was so poorly played on offense at times I wanted Iowa to just kick the field goal because I was so afraid of negative yardage. If we had kicked the ball after every turnover the defense recovered and we hit on two of them we win the game. Three of them we win by a proverbial landslide.

People are always saying "you've gotta run some trick plays!". The same people say "why the hell did you try that trick play!". Every time I go to the game I forget how stupid fans are. A guy sat behind me and yelled the whole game "I could be OC!" "Why don't you call better plays!" "I'd be a better OC than Brian!" after an incomplete pass "Why did the clock stop?" (friend says)"It was an incomplete pass". "What's that got to do with it?"

I don't have a problem with trick plays, whether they work or not, but they're not the answer. You don't just call them just to try to "trick" the opponent. Plays such as reverses help keep defenses from over pursuing. Halfback passes fleaflickers help keep safeties from overplaying the run (play-action does the same, maybe to a lesser extent). Reverse pitch back to QB keep DB's out of future reverses.

These things may not set things up for that game, but it puts things on film.

It’s like Kirk has a notebook with “trick plays” he saw in the 80s. The big flourish he adds to the offense is a reverse.
Well then. I guess we should abandon misdirection plays. Oh. wait. Many posters complain that we never run counter action. Which is it?

People are always saying "you've gotta run some trick plays!". The same people say "why the hell did you try that trick play!". Every time I go to the game I forget how stupid fans are. A guy sat behind me and yelled the whole game "I could be OC!" "Why don't you call better plays!" "I'd be a better OC than Brian!" after an incomplete pass "Why did the clock stop?" (friend says)"It was an incomplete pass". "What's that got to do with it?"

I don't have a problem with trick plays, whether they work or not, but they're not the answer. You don't just call them just to try to "trick" the opponent. Plays such as reverses help keep defenses from over pursuing. Halfback passes fleaflickers help keep safeties from overplaying the run (play-action does the same, maybe to a lesser extent). Reverse pitch back to QB keep DB's out of future reverses.

These things may not set things up for that game, but it puts things on film.
You and I must have been seated close to each other. (I am serious)
And, your post is right on. I heard that conversation. Damn. Would have bought you an adult beverage.

I don't think the reverse play in and of itself is a bad play. But, what makes it ( a lot of the time) a bad play for this offense is when they situational choose to run it at poor times.

For example, offense has been struggling to move the ball, but then they string together several positive plays. Things seem to be clicking, they just have a couple of yards to get the next first down, then.....bam they run the slow-developing reserve that takes them completely off schedule with a 10 yard loss or more.

Correct me if I am wrong, when they ran that reverse we were on the opponent's side of the field nearing the red-zone correct? Seems like a stupid spot to run the reverse with less room to move around. But, maybe I'm remembering the play wrong.

Personally, I think if you are going to run a waste down play, throw the ball down the field.....but then again....you have to have a line, QB, and receiver to all be on the same page......otherwise you are ending up with Petras being sacked.

Maybe this team is better off just making the makables when they are there.

You and I must have been seated close to each other. (I am serious)
And, your post is right on. I heard that conversation. Damn. Would have bought you an adult beverage.

This wasn't me. I was wearing my HawkeyeNation jacket so you would have known if it was me.

Anyone remember that reverse we ran in the Alamo Bowl against Texas? Ugh. If they want a wrinkle it needs to be going for it on 4th down or a wildcat look. Hell, even an option run would be fine because no one would expect it.

I have no issues with calling such plays but take issues with when they're called. Posters pointed out that they've been drive killers and there's absolutely no argument there. It's not a matter of "they're great when they work" its a matter of "our offense isn't good enough to recover when then they don't work". It's almost as though they're just thrown out there randomly. IMO the timing we're using them makes as much sense as punting on second down...sure we could do it but why???

The design was bad as well. How many times have you seen Petras run this season. So he takes off to his right, I bet Ill. thought "Reverse". And it was so slow in developing. Our O line didnt have a chance.

Latest posts