The REFS today

I'm watching the replay and since the game is decided and I know what happened I am watching as objectively as I can during an Iowa came and these refs are brutal.

A lot of people got upset about Iowa's defense biting on the run on the first Pitt TD. I don't blame them for biting at all. Linemen are only allowed to be 1 yard beyond the line of scrimmage when the ball is thrown. The defense is taught that when an OL goes farther than 1 yard downfield, they can flood the running zone and give up on the pass. On Pitt's TD, you can clearly see that before Sunseri gets rid of the ball, there is a lineman a full 6 yards downfield, a blatant penalty.

The Pitt player standing over Carl Davis (71) is the OL that is downfield.

Downfield.jpg

A lot of people got upset about Iowa's defense biting on the run on the first Pitt TD. I don't blame them for biting at all. Linemen are only allowed to be 1 yard beyond the line of scrimmage when the ball is thrown. The defense is taught that when an OL goes farther than 1 yard downfield, they can flood the running zone and give up on the pass. On Pitt's TD, you can clearly see that before Sunseri gets rid of the ball, there is a lineman a full 6 yards downfield, a blatant penalty.

Downfield.jpg

Now I do not know this....but if they are engaged in a block, does it matter? Again, that is a rule I do not know the specifics of....so someone correct me, please...

Downfield.jpg

Nice capture of a horrible blown call that costs iowa a td.

Downfield.jpg
The ref is looking right at him too

Now I do not know this....but if they are engaged in a block, does it matter? Again, that is a rule I do not know the specifics of....so someone correct me, please...
ineligible receiver (linemen) cannot cross the neutral zone

Last edited:

Downfield.jpg

Very true. I thought something felt amiss about some of Pitt's play-action fakes. They waved off an ineligible downfield penalty one play because we sacked Sunseri.

I think you nailed it. Our D is struggling, but I've never seen us totally leave receivers like we did a few times today.

I liked to think a team needs to be good enough to overcome officiating mistakes (as they will happen) ..... but these guys were shockingly bad (or biased).

Many situations were noted by the OP. How about the 'dropping' the flag for holding when we have first and goal at the 9 during the first quarter when we have an opportunity to score. That managed to de-rail an early drive for a TD. The hillarious thing is our section was joking together prior to the snap that 'Here Comes the Holding Flag'.... sure enough the flag is thrown almost at the snap of the ball. The officiating especially in the first half took me back to the good old days of playing in the Rose Bowl against the Pac-10. You could put big money on a holding call the first time a Big-Ten team reached the red-zone in the past when the crews were Pac-10.

I double checked the rule and found this article, from 2009:
College Football: Ineligible man downfield, line of scrimmage, ncaa rules

In it, the writer, a longtime high school and college official, says that the rule is 3 yards in college (not 1, I think 1 might be the NFL, but I was wrong regardless), and that it doesn't matter if the player was blocking a man and that block took him more than three yards downfield or not. FWIW, the player in white on the ground with Davis was also illegally downfield, so that's two players with the umpire looking straight at them and not throwing the flag.

I agree, today's officiating was surprisingly poor. A few that really stuck out:

Personal foul on the punt. Absolutely an atrocious call.

Bullock TD - the fact it wasn't reviewed was what I found most surprising. They ruled him short, but he was close enough that they should at least reviewed it. That said, did they measure for any 1st downs today? They gave IA 4-5 1st downs that I can almost guarantee would have been measured by any B1G crews. (I appreciated these calls, but they should have measured.)

KMM was repeatedly mugged by DB's and LB's ~5 yards into his routes. It's one thing to bump / jam WR's, but he was getting held often.

Speaking of bad officiating, anyone see those ridiculous gifts the refs gave Nebby on those fair catch "interferences"? On one, the Nebraska receiver tripped and fell towards the coverage guy (who was still able to avoid the receiver) and the ball hit the receiver's leg and Wash took it to the end zone, but it was called interference so Nebby ball and 15 yards. On the next punt the Nebby receiver didn't even call for a fair catch, caught the ball and immediately got taken down, fair catch interference anyway. Wash was also penalized for excessive celebration on a TD for the most basic celebration you could imagine, yet last night's ISU game there was an ISU receiver who celebrated before reaching the endzone, yet nothing was done about that.

Inconsistent officiating and one-sided officiating are two of my pet peeves, no matter who is playing.

I double checked the rule and found this article, from 2009:
College Football: Ineligible man downfield, line of scrimmage, ncaa rules

In it, the writer, a longtime high school and college official, says that the rule is 3 yards in college (not 1, I think 1 might be the NFL, but I was wrong regardless), and that it doesn't matter if the player was blocking a man and that block took him more than three yards downfield or not. FWIW, the player in white on the ground with Davis was also illegally downfield, so that's two players with the umpire looking straight at them and not throwing the flag.

Actually I think the player on the ground is the running back being tackled after the fake on the hand-off. But the O-lineman is obviously illegally down field right in front of the back judge. Maybe he was fooled as badly on the fake as Iowa (and me) was.

The non-hold call on the sweep right before PITT's 5 yard TD catch was a beauty as well. You could hear the corwd going crazy with the no call on that one. The announcers played dumb as well and thought the crowd was angry at the Hawks.....

Maybe it's just me being biased, but I feel that for whatever reason we're cursed when it comes to officiating at home. It seems like we're constantly plagued by questionable flags and penalties and at the same time don't even get the benefit of the doubt in terms of plays that are reviewed or questionable. Again it might just be me being a homer, but the number of reviews that go to the booth that actually benefit us seems minimal compared to the amount of time being spent reviewing our opposition. It also amazes me that often catches that are made in bounds or when it is clear that we were not out of bounds are constantly reviewed yet anything questionable in which we'd benefit from a second look is almost like pulling teeth to get the play under reviewed. I'm not saying the home team should get special privileges, however they shouldn't get the shaft either and based on the officiating I've seen on TV at other schools I just don't see that consistency when we play at home and IMO alot of stuff our opponent does goes unnoticed where as our players sometimes appear to be under a microscope. Rant over.

I do have to add that I thought that the hit on Vandy that was called roughing the QB was also not a good call. So we did get one.

The line judge on the west sideline was a disgrace ... the one who came in and called Cal Davis's catch no good ... he was awful all day, and has no business refereeing at that level again, ever

Latest posts