The question someone needs to ask ND

SteveDeace

Of course Notre Dame wants to remain in the arrangement they have now, it's the best of both worlds so who wouldn't? But what happens when Big Ten schools drop Notre Dame from their schedule post-expansion, and Big Ten expansion essentially dissolves the Big East in the process as the SEC?ACC pick through the leftovers. Would Notre Dame rather join the Big Ten rather then face that possible scenario?

Why not let ND keep some of what they have?

Let them keep the NBC contract...as long as they agree to share the profit.... and we'll share the BTN profit with them.

Then the Big10 would be on NBC, ABC, BTN, ESPNs....

I don't see what the big deal is... more money is more money...

ND would get to keep some of its independence(NBC).... Big10 would be on more channels...etc... We (the Big10) don't have to have it ALL do we? Can't we agree to some flexibility if it's good for us?

You act as if the NBC contract is perpetual. It isn't. I doubt the NBC contract is renewed past it's current expiration of 2015. If Notre Dame remains independent they are going to end up on some regional cable network like Fox Sports or Comcast.

I think once the Big Ten expands, They should put in the ND clause that says other than Purdue, no Big 10 team will play Notre Dame.

Of course Notre Dame wants to remain in the arrangement they have now, it's the best of both worlds so who wouldn't? But what happens when Big Ten schools drop Notre Dame from their schedule post-expansion, and Big Ten expansion essentially dissolves the Big East in the process as the SEC?ACC pick through the leftovers. Would Notre Dame rather join the Big Ten rather then face that possible scenario?

Steve don't you think that has all ready been pointed out to them several times lately.I think they can see the writing on the wall(maybe I'm giving them to much credit), but I don't see them passing up this chance again.

Also, they will not get any special provisions. Thats why the Big 12 is having problems.

I think ND likes it's independence based on the fact that it can schedule slightly easier opponents than what they would face week in and week out in the Big Ten (once it expands).

I think once the Big Ten expands, They should put in the ND clause that says other than Purdue, no Big 10 team will play Notre Dame.

That would never fly. However, if we could convince Mary Sue Coleman that Notre Dame's mascot makes light of the plight suffered by Irish Americans and then have her convince a few other presidents of the same, maybe we could get an amendment to the rule that prevents B10 schools from playing schools with Native American logos (outside of B10 and tournament/post-season play) so that the rule effectively prohibits B10 teams from playing ND until they change their logo to something that is not deemed hostile and offensive to those of Irish heritage.

Why not let ND keep some of what they have?

Let them keep the NBC contract...as long as they agree to share the profit.... and we'll share the BTN profit with them.

Then the Big10 would be on NBC, ABC, BTN, ESPNs....

I don't see what the big deal is... more money is more money...

ND would get to keep some of its independence(NBC).... Big10 would be on more channels...etc... We (the Big10) don't have to have it ALL do we? Can't we agree to some flexibility if it's good for us?

Being independent doesn't mean choosing what network you want to show your games, it means creating your own schedule, something ND couldn't do if they joined a conference and had 8 conference games every year.

You act as if the NBC contract is perpetual. It isn't. I doubt the NBC contract is renewed past it's current expiration of 2015. If Notre Dame remains independent they are going to end up on some regional cable network like Fox Sports or Comcast.

Really?... I don't think I said it's perpetual.

I said let them keep it... let them negotiate when the time comes and go where they might. I gotta think if they were in the Big10 the next contract they get would be MUCH BIGGER than what they have now. It's still more coverage more money... yes?

They would still play their away games under the current Big10 contracts... then their home games would be on the OTHER channel...I don't think that's a bad thing.... it's more money more exposure...isn't it?

Last edited:
That would never fly. However, if we could convince Mary Sue Coleman that Notre Dame's mascot makes light of the plight suffered by Irish Americans and then have her convince a few other presidents of the same, maybe we could get an amendment to the rule that prevents B10 schools from playing schools with Native American logos (outside of B10 and tournament/post-season play) so that the rule effectively prohibits B10 teams from playing ND until they change their logo to something that is not deemed hostile and offensive to those of Irish heritage.

Nice. That mascot led me to believe that all people from Ireland or those of Irish heritage were Leprachauns. When I learned that wasn't the case I was devastated.

Being independent doesn't mean choosing what network you want to show your games, it means creating your own schedule, something ND couldn't do if they joined a conference and had 8 conference games every year.

Let them only play 7 games.... for now. I could care less about that too. With some stipulations... 7-0 != 8-0 etc...

Once they are in they will more than likely eventually come around.

Until then... more money more channels... sounds good to me.

If the Big East football conference did dissolve I would bet on a smaller, private school conference would spring up with the teams without D-1 football programs. Marquette, Georgetown, Villanova, DePaul, Providence, St. Johns, Seton Hall, etc. This would be a decent basketball conference and give ND the option to remain independent in football while still in a conference for all other sports.

Totally agree!

Really?... I don't think I said it's perpetual.

I said let them keep it... let them negotiate when the time comes and go where they might. It's still more coverage more money... yes?

They would still play their away games under the current Big10 contracts... then their home games would be on the OTHER channel...I don't think that's a bad thing.... it's more money more exposure...isn't it?

The point is the B10 would be silly to offer ND the options to negotiate thier own TV deal. Without joining the B10 ND will not be able to secure a high dollar TV contract. With the B10 they would because the B10 would make them instantly relevent again. Why would the B10 give them the right to make $$$ of the status the conference gives them?

The point is the B10 would be silly to offer ND the options to negotiate thier own TV deal. Without joining the B10 ND will not be able to secure a high dollar TV contract. With the B10 they would because the B10 would make them instantly relevent again. Why would the B10 give them the right to make $$$ of the status the conference gives them?

You missed some of what I said... I'm assuming ND would share their contract money with the Big10... and we share ours with them. It's one more contract negotiated... it's more money all the way around in the end. If ND wants to keep "their" own channel etc... I'm good with it as long as we are all sharing. More channels...more money... all for the money!...

It makes perfect sense to me... flood the TV with Big10 games... more channels more more more... no? :)

Maybe we go with... ND Football brought to you by the BTN on NBC! ....kind of like ESPN on ABC.. Lets get filthy.. if we are going down this road why not let it all hang out?....

MONEY!!!!!!

Last edited:

Notre Dame will join the Big 12.

Think it through--the Big 12 will need to add teams to the Big 12 North after losing Colorado, Nebbie, and Mizzou. ND will be available. The Big 12 doesn't share revenue, so ND will be able to keep whatever they get. Those greedy bastards. The Big 12/12 Pac television network will get ND--a national program. Win-win.

With the Big 12/12 Pac scheduling partnership/network, ND will maybe keep its USC rivalry, and add some others (Oklahoma, Texas, etc).

Look out, Clones, the domers are comin' to Jack Trice!

Last edited:
No chance. ND has a long history of playing B10 teams. There is tradition in NDvPurdont and ND v scUM. Further if they did join a conference bet your sweet behind it would have to be the most prestigious conference possible (atheltically and academically) and thats the B10.

But I assume your post was 100% sarcasm.

Notre Dame will join the Big 12.

Think it through--the Big 12 will need to add teams to the Big 12 North after losing Colorado, Nebbie, and Mizzou. ND will be available. The Big 12 doesn't share revenue, so ND will be able to keep whatever they get. Those greedy bastards. The Big 12/12 Pac television network will get ND--a national program. Win-win.

With the Big 12/12 Pac scheduling partnership/network, ND will maybe keep its USC rivalry, and add some others (Oklahoma, Texas, etc).

Look out, Clones, the domers are comin' to Jack Trice!

You know what's going to be really funny if this happens? Iowa State beating Notre Dame. And that WILL happen if ND joins the Big 12.

No chance. ND has a long history of playing B10 teams. There is tradition in NDvPurdont and ND v scUM. Further if they did join a conference bet your sweet behind it would have to be the most prestigious conference possible (atheltically and academically) and thats the B10.

But I assume your post was 100% sarcasm.

Maybe not 100% sarcasm... but pretty close.

Let them only play 7 games.... for now. I could care less about that too. With some stipulations... 7-0 != 8-0 etc...

Once they are in they will more than likely eventually come around.

Until then... more money more channels... sounds good to me.

You're missing the whole point of being independent, they get to schedule whatever 12 games they want, not 4, not 5 but all 12 and joining the Big Ten puts an end to that if they play 7 or 8 conference games.

I don't care if they would eventually come around or not, it should be either you are in or your not, no special rules for them, the Big Ten can and will survive without ND.

Latest posts