The Problem Is College Football Itself

ThunderHawk

Sure, the Hawks pissed it down their leg last night. And in the process, essentially flushed the entire season right down the toilet.

With one loss. In four games. To a good team. And that's that. FML.

Show me one other sports league/organization that operates like this.

You can't. You can suck ass in college basketball or the NFL or the NBA or MLB for several games and pull it together and compete for a title. They don't limit their playoffs to four (FOUR!) teams selected by a committee. A COMMITTEE!

Iowa could run the table now and still be shut out of a chance to compete for a title not because they're unworthy, but because they're not named Alabama or Oklahoma or Ohio State.

It's all bullshit. The system is bullshit. It's not built to crown champions. It's built to make obscene amounts of money off of the backs of "student" athletes. And in that regard, it's a rousing success. It's fun to watch, so watch it, but don't take it so seriously. It's about one click away from pro wrestling.

I suggest appreciating it for what it is and making peace with it. I mean self-promoting, wife-and-kids ditching douchebags like PJ Fleck thrive in this system, where boys are turned into men (or criminals, or sexual predators.) Doesn't that tell you all you need to know?

tenor.gif

Sure, the Hawks pissed it down their leg last night. And in the process, essentially flushed the entire season right down the toilet.

You can't. You can suck ass in college basketball or the NFL or the NBA or MLB for several games and pull it together and compete for a title. They don't limit their playoffs to four (FOUR!) teams selected by a committee. A COMMITTEE!

Iowa could run the table now and still be shut out of a chance to compete for a title not because they're unworthy, but because they're not named Alabama or Oklahoma or Ohio State.

It's all bullshit. The system is bullshit. It's not built to crown champions. It's built to make obscene amounts of money off of the backs of "student" athletes. And in that regard, it's a rousing success. It's fun to watch, so watch it, but don't take it so seriously. It's about one click away from pro wrestling.

I suggest appreciating it for what it is and making peace with it. I mean self-promoting, wife-and-kids ditching douchebags like PJ Fleck thrive in this system, where boys are turned into men (or criminals, or sexual predators.) Doesn't that tell you all you need to know?

tenor.gif

You are the one who has decided the season is meaningless if Iowa can't go undefeated and compete for a national championship. Maybe you and a lot of college football fans need to gain some perspective.

You are the one who has decided the season is meaningless if Iowa can't go undefeated and compete for a national championship. Maybe you and a lot of college football fans need to gain some perspective.

Actually I'm the one who just advised you to sit back and enjoy the debauchery of it all after accepting the reality of it.

The OP sums it up pretty well. But dont be kidded into thinking this wasnt going on since the 1950s. The money wasnt as obscene in the 50s-70s but head coaches still made way more than most people, they could be revered and make a lot of money 'on the side' promoting goods and with tv and radio deals, and speaking engagements. Bud Wilkinson, Darryl Royal, Woody Hayes, Joe Paterno, Parsegian, John McKay (who jumped to a big NFL contract), all made tons of money for the time. And man did a lot of transgressions with players and rule breaking get swept under the rug. There are stories of Evy, who made out very well, keeping his guys out of trouble.

And guess what there was no playoff, just polls from the coaches themselves and sportswriters who had a vested interest in keeping in good graces with the coaches.

I have a question...do you guys enjoy anything in your life? other than whining like a bitch in heat? Just curious.

And I will tell you...if we run the table from here out...and we beat an undefeated Ohio State team in the B10 Championship...we will be in the playoff. Now...this is somewhat more fantasy than reality...but hypothetically...yes...I think we would get one of the four spots if this happened and we looked good doing it.

I have a question...do you guys enjoy anything in your life? other than whining like a bitch in heat? Just curious.

And I will tell you...if we run the table from here out...and we beat an undefeated Ohio State team in the B10 Championship...we will be in the playoff. Now...this is somewhat more fantasy than reality...but hypothetically...yes...I think we would get one of the four spots if this happened and we looked good doing it.

If Jeff Bezos becomes a donor we could hire Saban away from Alabama too. Both scenarios are as likely.

tenor.gif

Good post thunderhawk. I guess I really wanted to win this game and have a season where we get national recognition and take it to the four game playoffs. Like you pointed out just one loss and your out of the system with the exception of the SEC where you can still play in the playoffs with two losses.

I predicted 10-2 before the season started and also said I would find that acceptable, however Losing to Wisconsin five times in row at home should not ever be acceptable to anyone.

Also what’s your love affair with Kirk. You posted criticism aimed at fans that would like to see just one championship in their lifetime. You’ve posted critism towards the players. However when it comes to Kirk you silent.

Winoneforthecentury must be symbolic of your life.

I am a very successful person and have a beautiful family. My kids obey the laws of this country, never have done drugs, obey the laws of God and have college degrees from major university. They are just following the example that my wife and I have set for them.

I have posted on this website many things that are admirable about Kirk as I think he is a good person. However when it comes to kickoff time I have my game face on. I am passionate about everything I do in life and my life is a reflection of that passion. What’s your life a reflection of? Not be snarky but that’s a serious question.

I'll have what he's having.

Wisconsin has owned Iowa for a decade. It has nothing to do with people being miserable or unhappy in life it comes down to you are either ok with being owned by those douchebags for 10 years or you are not. Those of us that are sick of it bitch and those who are ok with it don’t. If you are ok with a program that can’t beat Wisconsin or be ranked or compete for one of the weakest divisions in the P5 then you are fine with Iowa being Northwestern or Purdue.

Hornibrook > Stanley in crunch time.

They blitzed more than Iowa in crunch time (no surprise there)

Where was #94 for Iowa on the last Wisky dive.

The vaunted prevent defense doesn't work often in close games against good teams.

Coaches didn't challenge the so called incomplete pass that most certainly appeared to be a fumble clearly recovered by Iowa.

I feel bad for #42 for Iowa, but he doesn't need to be on the field for a while after that ginormus mental mistake.

Quit running zone plays to the outside against athletic faster teams. Especially on 2nd and goal form the 2 yard line.

Related to the the outside zone play, go north and south, not east and west. I only see Greg Davis face when you go side line to side line on any play.

Quit putting linebackers on wide receivers. Bring in an extra DB instead.

The corner backs were beaten most of the night. Note to the coaches. It's hard to be successful when you have your back to the line of scrimmage and don't turn around.

The refs definitely had nothing to do with the outcome, but to call #14 for Iowa down on an obvious fumble any of us could see in real time all the way to ball placement on several plays.

On a positive note about the refs, Wisky was finally called for holding several times. That's been coming for about 20 years now.

These are my opinions only. Wisky made the plays when they needed to and Iowa did not. It's pretty much that simple. Iowa football in 2015 was obviously a rare season and the 7-8 wins per year is more normal now.

I'm hoping for 10-2, but know the Indiana schools not named ND, can also beat Iowa in any given season.

I am insane because I keep coming back every week expecting something different when I should know better.

Good post thunderhawk. I guess I really wanted to win this game and have a season where we get national recognition and take it to the four game playoffs. Like you pointed out just one loss and your out of the system with the exception of the SEC where you can still play in the playoffs with two losses.
As long as anyone with the last name Ferentz is on the sideline we will remain irrelevant, period.

As long as anyone with the last name Ferentz is on the sideline we will remain irrelevant, period.

So Iowa's winning percentage during the past 20 years puts them in the top 25 or something right? That means that there are 113 programs that have been worse. Why don't you pick Iowa State or Nebraska as your team...you will be alot happier.,..wait...no you won't.

Hornibrook > Stanley in crunch time.

They blitzed more than Iowa in crunch time (no surprise there)

Where was #94 for Iowa on the last Wisky dive.

The vaunted prevent defense doesn't work often in close games against good teams.

Coaches didn't challenge the so called incomplete pass that most certainly appeared to be a fumble clearly recovered by Iowa.

I feel bad for #42 for Iowa, but he doesn't need to be on the field for a while after that ginormus mental mistake.

Quit running zone plays to the outside against athletic faster teams. Especially on 2nd and goal form the 2 yard line.

Related to the the outside zone play, go north and south, not east and west. I only see Greg Davis face when you go side line to side line on any play.

Quit putting linebackers on wide receivers. Bring in an extra DB instead.

The corner backs were beaten most of the night. Note to the coaches. It's hard to be successful when you have your back to the line of scrimmage and don't turn around.

The refs definitely had nothing to do with the outcome, but to call #14 for Iowa down on an obvious fumble any of us could see in real time all the way to ball placement on several plays.

On a positive note about the refs, Wisky was finally called for holding several times. That's been coming for about 20 years now.

These are my opinions only. Wisky made the plays when they needed to and Iowa did not. It's pretty much that simple. Iowa football in 2015 was obviously a rare season and the 7-8 wins per year is more normal now.

I'm hoping for 10-2, but know the Indiana schools not named ND, can also beat Iowa in any given season.

I am insane because I keep coming back every week expecting something different when I should know better.

Some really good points.

I really can't fault the defense. In 7 of 9 drives to the point of the final drive, Wisconsin had punted and one of the successful drives was due to the fumble at our 10 yard line...so technically they gave up one scoring drive in 55 minutes.

Regarding your expecting something different. Our offense is different. Everyone has complained about our receivers can't get open...well...last night we had guys open all night...and in many cases...they were schemed open based on the way Wisconsin plays defense. I feel bad for Stanley...he played very well the first three quarters...but just didn't make it happen in the fourth quarter. He missed a few guys that were wide open that would have kept drives going, and the short one to ISM at the end that was intercepted was a bullet. ISM couldn't even get his hands up.

Your QB has to play better in crunch time...those throws and getting a drive going to put the game away should be the expectation. It just didn't happen. Great teams put the game away with a score.

If only there would be a system which would allow the 2nd (maybe) best team in the weaker division of the Big Ten to make a playoff.
That would be great.

I don't care about any type of playoff chances, that stuff takes care of itself if you do what you need to do. I do care about essentially having no chance to win the division after one game into conference play, and I care about getting completely fucking owned by a team since 2010.

Thunder is right though. The system is flawed and rotten.

Well, that and the Big Ten is a total joke. Ohio State has only lost 3 games in 6 years of conference play. And while they have two titles in the past 20 years, they have also been completely humiliated several times on the big stage.

The only way Iowa would ever have a chance at a title is if they slash scholarships down to like 40-50 to disperse talent, but even if that happened it would probably just make Iowa's relative standing the same and make teams like Arkansas, Arizona, South Carolina or Kentucky turn into powerhouse teams every few years. The Midwest is doomed, bud.

If only there would be a system which would allow the 2nd (maybe) best team in the weaker division of the Big Ten to make a playoff.
That would be great.
Yeah, like some sort of national tournament where you have to be invited to play. Maybe call it the National Invitational Tournament or something catchy like that.

Latest posts