The playing time on this team sucks

hawkeye12345

I'm not sure how else to say it. Do our coaches not see this?

Cougill - This kids minutes are impossible to determine leading up to a game. If he plays > 20 minutes he averages 9.5 points per game and 6 rebounds per game. If he plays < 20 minutes he averages 2.4 points per game and 1.5 rebounds per game. Amazing. The kid is a freshman, isn't going to redshirt and will need to be a contributing factor on future teams and yet his minutes began to slide after his best performance of the season (iowa state)....unbelievable.

Brommer - I swear to God himself that Big Lick must be reading this forum because this kids minutes have gone up considerably the past two weeks. Lick - pay attention here, I will slow it down for you because we know you like it slow, GET THIS KID SOME MOTHER F'ING MINUTES. Was that clear enough? You F'ed with the kid last year when you had him in a situation that NO FRESHMAN should be put in and he clanked the free throws. YOU then pull the plug on his PT and the kid went MIA. That is 100% on you for being a **** poor manager. Get him in, get his head straight and we might just start winning some games.

Lil' Lick - Are you serious? Should we even be talking about your son on a D1 program roster? Does anyone remember Keno Davis as a player? That is what your kid should be on our team....nothing more, nothing less. So go find a clip board for him to tote around and take some notes. Maybe in a few more years after you get run out of town, we might be begging for him to come back and coach us too.

Redshirting Archie is a big mistake. Seriously, what were you thinking?

Bawinkel - again this just confirms my thoughts about Lick reading these boards for basketball tips. Bawinkel should be lumped in the same category as Lil' Lick. Just find a slower clip board for him to carry around.

Tucker - is he on the team or not? If not then for the love of God go get a JUCO PG that can play at the Big10 level. We have enough 2s and 3s and we won't need any more for about 3 years. Get a PG that can break the press and play D.

Sorry, just needed to decompress from they day.

I am sure Coach reads every one of these posts and then thinks long and hard about his lack of good judgment re. PT. I don't think there has been a coach at UI since I have been an involved fan that did not get questions about why someone was playing and someone else was not. And I have often wondered too. But these guys get paid a lot of money based on their experience to make these decisions and even though our record sucks right now, I am not inclined to second guess his judgment.

The problem with the above rant is that in your scenario you are rotating 5 guys at 2 positions (Cougill, Fuller, Cole, Archie and Brommer) and May, Payne and Gatens would be playing 40 minutes each.

Now you can critize the recruiting decisions leading up to this situation but you are going to have to play Lickliter and Bawinkle at least a few minutes. I do agree that this coaching staffs sporadic minutes does play head games with certain players and impedes development.

The only option I see is trying Fuller at the 3 for a few minutes with Cole at the 4 and either Brommer or Cougill at the 5. May and Gatens would get some much needed rest. I think you would have to play zone with this lineup and you couldn't run the high ball screens/weave and would have to committed to more set plays. Post up whoever has the more favorable matchup. I actually think this could be a worth a try.

I'm not sure how else to say it. Do our coaches not see this?

Cougill - This kids minutes are impossible to determine leading up to a game. If he plays > 20 minutes he averages 9.5 points per game and 6 rebounds per game. If he plays < 20 minutes he averages 2.4 points per game and 1.5 rebounds per game. Amazing. The kid is a freshman, isn't going to redshirt and will need to be a contributing factor on future teams and yet his minutes began to slide after his best performance of the season (iowa state)....unbelievable.

Brommer - I swear to God himself that Big Lick must be reading this forum because this kids minutes have gone up considerably the past two weeks. Lick - pay attention here, I will slow it down for you because we know you like it slow, GET THIS KID SOME MOTHER F'ING MINUTES. Was that clear enough? You F'ed with the kid last year when you had him in a situation that NO FRESHMAN should be put in and he clanked the free throws. YOU then pull the plug on his PT and the kid went MIA. That is 100% on you for being a **** poor manager. Get him in, get his head straight and we might just start winning some games.

Lil' Lick - Are you serious? Should we even be talking about your son on a D1 program roster? Does anyone remember Keno Davis as a player? That is what your kid should be on our team....nothing more, nothing less. So go find a clip board for him to tote around and take some notes. Maybe in a few more years after you get run out of town, we might be begging for him to come back and coach us too.

Redshirting Archie is a big mistake. Seriously, what were you thinking?

Bawinkel - again this just confirms my thoughts about Lick reading these boards for basketball tips. Bawinkel should be lumped in the same category as Lil' Lick. Just find a slower clip board for him to carry around.

Tucker - is he on the team or not? If not then for the love of God go get a JUCO PG that can play at the Big10 level. We have enough 2s and 3s and we won't need any more for about 3 years. Get a PG that can break the press and play D.

Sorry, just needed to decompress from they day.

Wow, tell us how you really feel. I agree with you on some of what you say. Maybe I wouldn't have been quite that harsh though

The problem with the above rant is that in your scenario you are rotating 5 guys at 2 positions (Cougill, Fuller, Cole, Archie and Brommer) and May, Payne and Gatens would be playing 40 minutes each.

Now you can critize the recruiting decisions leading up to this situation but you are going to have to play Lickliter and Bawinkle at least a few minutes. I do agree that this coaching staffs sporadic minutes does play head games with certain players and impedes development.

The only option I see is trying Fuller at the 3 for a few minutes with Cole at the 4 and either Brommer or Cougill at the 5. May and Gatens would get some much needed rest. I think you would have to play zone with this lineup and you couldn't run the high ball screens/weave and would have to committed to more set plays. Post up whoever has the more favorable matchup. I actually think this could be a worth a try.

urohawk-

I agree I would like to see Lick throw some different looks out there. It's not like he has anything to lose this year. We all know Iowa is terrible, might has well see what combo's he can run. Or do you think he is so stuck on what he wants to do that he refuse's to adapt a bit. I honestly don't know what he has to lose at this point.

I think it would be interesting to see:

PG- Payne
SG- Gatens
SF- Fuller
PF- Cole
C- Coug/Brommer

I know he would have to change up his sets, no more weave and ball screen around the perimeter like you said.

I think fuller has a nice shot, and should work on his mid range game. He could be pretty good at floating around the 12-15 ft range knocking down some shots.

urohawk-

I agree I would like to see Lick throw some different looks out there. It's not like he has anything to lose this year. We all know Iowa is terrible, might has well see what combo's he can run. Or do you think he is so stuck on what he wants to do that he refuse's to adapt a bit. I honestly don't know what he has to lose at this point.

PG- Payne
SG- Gatens
SF- Fuller
PF- Cole
C- Coug/Brommer

I know he would have to change up his sets, no more weave and ball screen around the perimeter like you said.

I think fuller has a nice shot, and should work on his mid range game. He could be pretty good at floating around the 12-15 ft range knocking down some shots.

No more energy/time wasting weave and useless ball screens on the perimeter? Brilliant!

I can't read Lickliter's mind, but I can tell you what I saw last night. Iowa was trying to break the press by making the second pass to a "big" in the middle. Cougill got the ball, was promptly doubled-teamed, got rattled and brought the ball down. He was promptly stripped and TSU scored a breakaway layup. Nothing against Cougill, but he wasn't quick enough last night, mentally or physically, to play in a tight game for the sake of gaining experience when Fuller and Brommer were playing well.

As far as Lil' Lick, you're right, he isn't a D1 ballplayer, but I don't see anyone else on the bench who could give Payne a rest, and he does seem to do positive things and give the team a lift off the bench.

Just my opinion.

There are only a finite amount of minutes out there. Fuller, Cole, and Brommer took them last night. Cougill was doing an extremely poor job on the D end of the court (same with Bawinkel), that's why they sat.

Yeah but STorm honestly Bawinkel was a D liability last year too...this kids upside is 0 and we know it.

What is going on with Cougill? I thought he was going to be a surprise earlier this season but it's like he's gotten worse. I know he was sick around the ISU game... did he just lose confidence?

Playing zone defense might also help this team be more successful. They are too slow and unathletic to play man defense all the time, when they are outmanned in every position on the court in almost every game.

Part of this teams dilemma is that it seems ALL of our players are 2s and 3s with a sprinkling of a potential 4, one PG and no true 5s. How in the world did a national coach of the year think he could win with a roster like this?

This is just a suggested substitution pattern (hope you're listening Lick):

PG - Payne
SG - Gatens
SF - May
PF - Fuller
C - Cole

Payne is clearly going to need to log a ton of minutes so pay attention to the damn mandatory TOs and get him on the bench (if at all possible) just prior to a TV TO. Other coaches seem to find a way to do this, your a big boy, so find a way to do this as well. Your kid will still get a few minutes in this scenario.

Cole and Cougill run a two man rotation at the C position with Brommer giving them a spell. Neither of those players is going to bring great offensive fire power so get their butts on the box and set screens for the shooters running baseline. Get them OFF the high post crap because it obviously doesn't work... Not enough height or skilled passers on the team.

Fuller, Brommer, May are running a 3 man rotation at the PF position. Fuller gives you offense, Brommer gives you height (I almost have to laugh) and May gives you pure athleticism and match up issues (on both ends) for taller and hopefully slower players.

Gatens and May are playing the 3 position with (gulp) Bawinkel in purely to shoot a 3 pointer FROM A SET PLAY AFTER A timeout. Give Bawinkel maybe 2 or 3 offensive sets when he is in but that is it....Gatens or May should already be sitting at the scorers table the minute the ball goes in to play.

At any given time you can have this combination:

Payne
May
Fuller
Brommer
Cougill

Then and ONLY then can you talk about how young your team is.

Putting a set rotation together may take a little practice for you coach but it may be worth the extra 5 minutes that you spend on game preparation. If you want to pay me $100k to come sit on your bench and maintain order i would be happy to. I might be able to start a conversation with a kid that is above 6'9" just for added value.

Playing zone defense might also help this team be more successful. They are too slow and unathletic to play man defense all the time, when they are outmanned in every position on the court in almost every game.
Forgot who's coaching for a minute there, didn't you?

Cougill needs to work on his strength and conditioning before he has any meaningful impact. When he runs, he looks like he doesn't have the strength to support his body weight. He runs like an old man or a fat kid.

Cougill needs to work on his strength and conditioning before he has any meaningful impact. When he runs, he looks like he doesn't have the strength to support his body weight. He runs like an old man or a fat kid.
You don't get in to game shape by riding the pine.

Speaking of Cougill...what the heck are they feeding that kid, pure Crisco? I swear he's put on 25 lbs in the past month. I still would like to see him get more playing time.

urohawk-

PG- Payne
SG- Gatens
SF- Fuller
PF- Cole
C- Coug/Brommer

The more I think about it the more I think the above lineup would be worth a try. Even if you only play it for a couple minutes each half you could be resting May. I don't think you would want Fuller and May in together at the wing because lack of ball handling could really hurt. I watched the NW game last night and they had several lineups with only two real ball handlers out there.

To address the question of whether Lick will try it it is hard to say. I haven't seen a lot of willingness to adapt.