The Pac 12 Doesn't Want to Expand

Well of course they are going to say something like this. When Oklahoma and Oklahoma St bolt for the Pac 12 they can come back with this statement and say they didn't tamper with these Big 12 members and fend of a lawsuit.

Just because something like this comes out publicly doesn't mean this is what is going on behind closed doors.

Wilner is right that nothing happens until A&M is accepted as a member of a new conference, most likely the SEC. The unknown factor is will there be two or four schools added to the SEC? And who are they?

This coalition of Missouri, Kansas, and Kansas State to the Big East for a 12 team conference seems to be getting a lot of traction. I've been using Google News / Sports to find articles and it has been popping up from more than one writer. If that is the case it is bad news for Iowa State.

Anyone have any guesses on who the "mystery team" is that is also considering the SEC? We know A&M, but it seems unlikely they would knowingly go to an odd number.

Wilner is right that nothing happens until A&M is accepted as a member of a new conference, most likely the SEC. The unknown factor is will there be two or four schools added to the SEC? And who are they?

This coalition of Missouri, Kansas, and Kansas State to the Big East for a 12 team conference seems to be getting a lot of traction. I've been using Google News / Sports to find articles and it has been popping up from more than one writer. If that is the case it is bad news for Iowa State.

That would give them 21 basketball teams. How would that work, exactly?

Well of course they are going to say something like this. When Oklahoma and Oklahoma St bolt for the Pac 12 they can come back with this statement and say they didn't tamper with these Big 12 members and fend of a lawsuit.

Just because something like this comes out publicly doesn't mean this is what is going on behind closed doors.

That's the thing, these aren't public statements, it's what he is hearing behind closed doors. Behind closed doors, the reality is they are extremely happy with how things are right now, as the Big Ten should be. But if pushed and if Larry Scott wants it (and he is on record saying he does) then the presidents will likely allow a Pac 16.

I am not one of those hoping for ISU's demise, but it doesn't look good if this goes down. I honestly think the Mountain West is the best they can realistically expect.

The Big East jumping to 12 teams for football (20 teams for basketball) makes total sense, regardless of what the SEC does. If I were ISU, I would be lobbying the BE hard. They would certainly be a better fit than KSU.

The Big East jumping to 12 teams for football (20 teams for basketball) makes total sense, regardless of what the SEC does. If I were ISU, I would be lobbying the BE hard. They would certainly be a better fit than KSU.

Not really, Kansas may not agree to join the Big East unless they took KSU.

That's the thing, these aren't public statements, it's what he is hearing behind closed doors. Behind closed doors, the reality is they are extremely happy with how things are right now, as the Big Ten should be. But if pushed and if Larry Scott wants it (and he is on record saying he does) then the presidents will likely allow a Pac 16.

I am not one of those hoping for ISU's demise, but it doesn't look good if this goes down. I honestly think the Mountain West is the best they can realistically expect.

Technically, yes this came from behind closed doors. But you don't think someone "leaked" this information to someone to show the Pac 12 isn't tampering with other schools to cover their own a$$?

If a conference goes to another school and ask them to join they are setting themselves up for a major lawsuit from the other conference. This way the Pac 12 can say they weren't interested in adding anyone but since Oklahoma came to them they will now consider expansion.

Seriously, if Oklahoma or Texas went to Larry Scott and said they wanted to join they would be members in a heartbeat.

They TRIED to go to 16 teams last year. They were actively pursuing Texas, and the others to go to 16. So how can they say behind closed door or not that they don't want it, when the already TRIED to do it???

They TRIED to go to 16 teams last year. They were actively pursuing Texas, and the others to go to 16. So how can they say behind closed door or not that they don't want it, when the already TRIED to do it???

There are two reasons the Pac 10 expanded after last season. First, its TV contract expired. Second, it wanted to add a football championship game by going to at least twelve teams.

Since adding Colorado & Utah, the Pac 12 has negotiated a new twelve-year TV deal with Fox & ESPN for about $250 million a year. Note that the championship game is valued at about $14-$15 million a year.

So, unless there is a provision in the TV contract to renegoiate the dollar amount with the addition of more teams, adding Texas & Oklahoma will not increase TV revenue. The existing twelve schools would actually receive a smaller piece of the pie.

The window may have actually closed for Texas & Oklahoma. As the article points out, the Big Ten probably will not expand until its TV contract expires after the 2016 season.

Notice that the Big Ten is going to a nine game conference schedule in 2017. Do you thing that the addition of an Iowa-Wisconsin or a Nebraska-Ohio State game that wouldn't have been played in an eight game schedule has anyhing to do with further TV negotiations? I don't think so! ;)

Last edited:
If if the SEC and Pac-12 decide to go to 16, the Big Ten probably CANNOT wait for everybody else to fall.

As much as I hate to say it, it is probably preferable for us that Missouri to get into the Big Ten over the SEC. They're going to be more desirable location- and market-wise than the remnants that will be left if the Big Ten waits.

If the Big Ten waits, then the best you hope for is ND and some other leftover.

And as for the Pac-12, they wanted 16... until they saw the TV they could get with only 12. They lucked out, but it looks like they probably won't refuse Oklahoma anyways should Oklahoma come knocking.

If if the SEC and Pac-12 decide to go to 16, the Big Ten probably CANNOT wait for everybody else to fall.

As much as I hate to say it, it is probably preferable for us that Missouri to get into the Big Ten over the SEC. They're going to be more desirable location- and market-wise than the remnants that will be left if the Big Ten waits.

If the Big Ten waits, then the best you hope for is ND and some other leftover.

And as for the Pac-12, they wanted 16... until they saw the TV they could get with only 12. They lucked out, but it looks like they probably won't refuse Oklahoma anyways should Oklahoma come knocking.

Why? Why does the Big Ten have to do a damn thing? They can stand pat,and let these other conferences go big,then watch them break up again,when it becomes apparent that it will actually reduce the split for each school. It is not like they are going to create some kind of playoff scenario that excludes the Big Ten. What exact advantages are there for these conferences to enlarge? They already have maxed out their championship game tv money with the addition of 2 schools.

Mark Cuban was exactly right. He knows the TV/sports business inside and out,and he nailed it when he said that the Big 12 should just replace A & M, and go about their business. Is the Pac 12 going to actually gain much from the additon of a Texas that wants to keep the lions share of their revenue generation to themselves with their own network? Texas will not give up their network,or share the proceeds.

I think last week was all about knee-jerk reactions to an emotional situation with a long time member like A & M seeking options.
Over time,cooler heads will prevail,and the Big 12 will survive,mainly intact. I would not be shocked if A & M re-visits staying in the league also.

Honestly, we ISU fans (if the Pac-16 shift happens) really need to hope that Mizzou gets into the SEC or Big 10. So if you could do us that favor, we'd be extremely grateful.

Why? Why does the Big Ten have to do a damn thing? They can stand pat,and let these other conferences go big,then watch them break up again,when it becomes apparent that it will actually reduce the split for each school. It is not like they are going to create some kind of playoff scenario that excludes the Big Ten. What exact advantages are there for these conferences to enlarge? They already have maxed out their championship game tv money with the addition of 2 schools.

Mark Cuban was exactly right. He knows the TV/sports business inside and out,and he nailed it when he said that the Big 12 should just replace A & M, and go about their business. Is the Pac 12 going to actually gain much from the additon of a Texas that wants to keep the lions share of their revenue generation to themselves with their own network? Texas will not give up their network,or share the proceeds.

I think last week was all about knee-jerk reactions to an emotional situation with a long time member like A & M seeking options.
Over time,cooler heads will prevail,and the Big 12 will survive,mainly intact. I would not be shocked if A & M re-visits staying in the league also.

The ultimate goal in all of this could be that the Pac-12, Big10, and SEC want to have 4 super conferences so they could break away from the NCAA. Who knows....

If the SEC takes WVU, the BigEast will need a replacement ... so ISU can come along with KSU,KU,MU (yes I know, why would the SEC want WVU)

So, on the other hand, BigEast takes ISU and UCF and goes to 14 ... then it tries for 16 by luring BC and Miami back after Maryland leaves the ACC to go to the B1G and FSU goes to the SEC.

Latest posts