The Opening Tip: Hawkeyes Play Host to Ohio St. in Matchup of Ranked Teams

Thanks for the summary. I learned that OSU is a really good 3 point shooting team - that makes me nervous. Even poor 3-point teams seem to have their best night against us so hopefully this isn't a replay of what we did to Illinois in Champagne last year

Thanks for the summary. I learned that OSU is a really good 3 point shooting team - that makes me nervous. Even poor 3-point teams seem to have their best night against us so hopefully this isn't a replay of what we did to Illinois in Champagne last year

Top 3 point shooting team & top defensive team in the conference is a ridiculous combo. How is this team 7-7 in the conference?

They're 5-1 in their last 6. Lone loss was at Wisconsin.

And, in the non-conference, they also beat Cincinnati, Villanova, North Carolina (when people thought they were good :)), and Kentucky. They did lose to West Virginia.

It is an interesting matchup, because OSU plays a lot like us and their traits are very similar to us. Their best player is their big, and they want to surround him with shooters. They dont really turn the ball over, they rebound efficiently, shoot well from 3 and FT's, and they too dont have a ton of quickness on the perimeter and are susceptible to dribble drive break-downs.

Keys to this game:

Wesson is really their only contributing big. And, he is 6'9". He does have a low post game (nothing like Garza) and he can shoot it as well. I will assume that Kriener will take him on defense, and Wesson along with a double is going to have to body up Garza when we are on offense. I like the mismatch there.

If Wesson gets in foul trouble, OSU is in trouble because their inside-out game is going to struggle. They don't have guys that will command the ball and get their own shot.

In contrast, as much as we would like to run and score a lot of points, with the lack of depth we have we are probably better suited playing a game in the 70's, which, really tightens the game.

What I think will happen:

Wesson gets in early foul trouble. Garza dominates early and forces OSU into bringing some bench post players in that dont see a lot of time. OSU shoots a lot of threes as we command the block and they shoot below their average. Kriener has a good game and compliments Garza in our low post domination. We win by 10-15 and pretty much command the game from the start.

I have an uneasy feeling about this game tonight for some reason. Maybe it's paranoia. Maybe it's from watching Illinois, Michigan and Indiana win on the road this week.

I have an uneasy feeling about this game tonight for some reason. Maybe it's paranoia. Maybe it's from watching Illinois, Michigan and Indiana win on the road this week.

I am with you. What I worry about more than anything is what our energy level is going to be to start off the game because I have not been overly impressed here lately with that. Specifically what I worry about is the dynamic with Garza and the rest of the team. I love Garza, don't get me wrong, but this team has morphed over the season into being his team and that can have affect the rest of the team by them not putting in maximum energy because everything goes to him and doesn't come back out.

I wonder if this is something Fran thinks about, that maybe you know you have the best player on the floor, and that player knows he is the best player on the floor and the opponents know it too, so make sure you get everyone else involved to begin with to get them engaged because that best player can always get his. I will be honest, I was a little alarmed when I watched Luka's last interview from Minnesota and he kept referring to his teammates as "my guys", and he did it quite a few times. I am not saying there is an ego battle going on or anything, just something I notice.

I would like to see us this game at the beginning, bring the energy, get some set plays for Wieskamp and get him going. If CJ plays get him some shots. Get JoeT to the basket. We have to get everyone involved, engaged and energized.

Garza can’t get in foul trouble and we need to get the big Wesson in foul trouble. Anybody other than Garza will get abused by Wesson. We also need to play good defense for once since they shoot well from deep. Hopefully our home crowd and some home officiating will help out.

OSU has had, essentially, 3 different seasons within a season.

They got off to the hot start and were the #1 team in the country.

Then they lost 6 out of 7 and looked to be in a tailspin.

Carton leaves and now they've won 5 of 6.

If we can get off to a hot start and get the crowd in it early, I think we win.

If we screw around and let them get easy looks at 3 early, then it'll probably be a rough night.

OSU has had, essentially, 3 different seasons within a season.

They got off to the hot start and were the #1 team in the country.

Then they lost 6 out of 7 and looked to be in a tailspin.

Carton leaves and now they've won 5 of 6.

If we can get off to a hot start and get the crowd in it early, I think we win.

If we screw around and let them get easy looks at 3 early, then it'll probably be a rough night.

I 2nd every word of this. We need to rebound better defensively too. Last 3 games or so it feels like that's been a bugaboo for us and nothing would provide them with better looks from 3 pt range then coming off an offensive rebound. We shore that up and I like our chances. I agree get hot early get crowd in it and bury them.

I don't know why, but I just have this feeling tonight. This is going to happen.

Cordell Pemsl's going to have at least 15 pts and around 6 rebounds.

Garza can’t get in foul trouble and we need to get the big Wesson in foul trouble. Anybody other than Garza will get abused by Wesson. We also need to play good defense for once since they shoot well from deep. Hopefully our home crowd and some home officiating will help out.
Home cooking helps, full of nutrition!

I'm sure Fran would like to see him participate full speed in a full practice.

I can see him ready to go for Michigan State.

Latest posts