The Only Difference

hawkfan1319

Between firing KF this year and firing him next year is one more bad recruiting class and us out a couple more million.

I've said in other threads on this topic that the problem is its too late to get rid of him at this point and bring someone in for next year. IMO a university needs to sever ties with their coach and start the search for his replacement the end of November/beginning of December rather than in January or February.

New Coaches are going to need time to put a staff together and assess their players. I think cutting ties at this time of the year would be more detrimental to the program then keeping him around another year. You also have to have an idea of who will take his place.

I agree with both of you if that makes any sense... Iowa should make a move but they shoulda done it between the last game and the bowl game.... Timing really matters when it comes to getting the replacement and keeping a recruiting class in tact the best one can. Making a move now or even after signing day won't allow us to bring in another good coach to replace him. They are all pretty much entrenched where they are now. Now one can argue there is no good time to do it so just do it. But to me doing it without getting the best guy to replace him (be it Stoops Bielema whomever) is just chasing your tail and the next thing you know we turn into Michigan of the last 10 yrs with Rich Rod & Hoke or Notre Dame when they went with Willingham and Weiss. Making the wrong move can set us back even more for a longer period of time if they aren't careful.

was 2014 a good time to be shopping for a coach in the big ten with NEB, WI and UM all shopping?

was 2014 a good time to be shopping for a coach in the big ten with NEB, WI and UM all shopping?

What does it really matter since they are shopping at Macy's, and Nordstoms while we shop at dollar general but end up paying more than Macy prices. :(

It may have felt that way prior to the hires. But Iowa wouldn't have been after Harbaugh Chryst or Riley... So in the end it sure wouldn't have mattered.

It is a solid point that the B1G West teams with new coaches this cycle ended up with pretty crappy hires. That does not bode well for what might have happened to Iowa, especially with Barta the Idiot still in charge. As much as I despise KF at this point, eating another year of his lame duck tenure could actually turn out to be beneficial if either of the following two things (or both) happen in the next 10 months or so: 1) Barta is sent packing, either by a new administration looking to shake things up or because of the field hockey fiasco, and 2) Bob Stoops becomes available or more disenchanted with the OU job. Of course, the downside is that with the pathetically weak state of the B1G West, Iowa sneaks into the B1G championship game at something like 7-5 (5-3) and gets obliterated by OSU, causing the UI to stay the course with our division championship winning coaching staff. But that's the nightmare scenario. Either way, next season is going to be a complete waste of time for Iowa fans.

What does it really matter since they are shopping at Macy's, and Nordstoms while we shop at dollar general but end up paying more than Macy prices. :(

Macy's? Macy's is like Target+. Prices are generally reasonable to low and the store comes off as a bit dumpy.

Should have gone with Neiman Marcus.

The first time I went to Neiman Marcus I was shopping for work shoes. I got back to the shoe department and the gentleman asked me if he could help me find what I was looking for and I told him I was looking for brown office shoes. He grabbed a shoe off the display and started telling me about it. "These are exceptionally stylish and comfortable. They are made with hand-cut Italian leather. And--oh, look--you are in luck. They are on sale for only $550." I looked the salesman right in the eyes and said: "Thanks for your help, but I really don't think I can trust the quality of such an inexpensive shoe."

I will say that the leather on those shoes made Johnston and Murphy leather feel like dog rawhide.

Last edited:
Macy's? Macy's is like Target+. Prices are generally reasonable to low and the store comes off as a bit dumpy.

Should have gone with Neiman Marcus.

The first time I went to Neiman Marcus I was shopping for work shoes. I got back to the shoe department and the gentleman asked me if he could help me find what I was looking for and I told him I was looking for brown office shoes. He grabbed a shoe off the display and started telling me about it. "These are exceptionally stylish and comfortable. They are made with hand-cut Italian leather. And--oh, look--you are in luck. They are on sale for only $550." I looked the salesman right in the eyes and said: "Thanks for your help, but I really don't think I can trust the quality of such an inexpensive shoe."

I will say that the leather on those shoes made Johnston and Murphy leather feel like dog rawhide.

pure gold, great presence of mind.

9Zv4V.gif

Between firing KF this year and firing him next year is one more bad recruiting class and us out a couple more million.

True enough, but it would've happened by now if it was going to happen this year. So, buckle up for another season of KF. At the risk of sounding like a Cubs fan - maybe next year.

In all actuality, next year may not be a good year to severe ties either. I'd rather see Barta long gone before our AD is responsible for finding another HC.

I don't think Chryst is a lock to succeed as a HC.

I do if he sticks to the formula. If he gets tired of being smothered by Alvarez in 3 or 4 years he can bolt with a padded resume. He may even want to wait it out Alavarez isn't exactly a spring chicken.

I'd say the odds are pretty good that whenever the new president is hired that Bartas days will be and are numbered but how soon I dunno... And it would be a whole lot better if whatever new AD they get makes those moves. I don't trust Barta either he'd botch it. Assuming he'd even fire Ferentz at all. I'm not sold he ever would regardless of the state of the program. Do any of you think if lets say Iowa has the same record next yr or even 6-6 does he fire him? I don't think he would....

The guy isnt going anywhere, I think that was evident by that worthless PC. There isnt any pressure for him to leave either. Just sit back, relax and watch or dont watch Iowa football under the rest of KFs tenure.