The O'Keefe Dilemma

okeefe4prez

The Indiana game highlighted the O'Keefe dilemma perfectly. Our offense is too explosive for its own good. If we go out thinking touchdown every play, we'll score and the defense won't get any time to rest. Did you guys see what happened when we got the wind in the 4th quarter? The offense scored at will. O'Keefe has to contain that otherwise we'd lose the time of possession battle and the defense would give up too many points and we would end up losing.

The haters might as well go beat their heads, methodically against a brick wall for hours on end...it'll get the same results, as KOK is here for as long as Kirk is. The "haters" are funny...they LOVE Kirk and hate KOK, conveniently forgetting that KOK is only doing things the way Kirk wants them. I guess people just need something to b!tch about...I choose SECSPN...it's more fun to go after an entire cult-like regime than it is one guy who's only doing things the way his boss wants them done...

I understand our bashing of ESPN talking heads, etc.... but you would THINK that if the four-letter were going to put their bias into a certain conference (SECSPN)... then would it not make more sense for them to pimp the Big 10 which is on their network every weekend? Should it not be Rece Davis and the boys pimping Iowa to offset CBS and maybe their bias towards the SEC?

I understand our bashing of ESPN talking heads, etc.... but you would THINK that if the four-letter were going to put their bias into a certain conference (SECSPN)... then would it not make more sense for them to pimp the Big 10 which is on their network every weekend? Should it not be Rece Davis and the boys pimping Iowa to offset CBS and maybe their bias towards the SEC?

No, it wouldn't make sense, because they're preparing for the future Slash...they're getting the ratings now, since they have the Big10 contract, but they're in the process of downplaying the Big10 because once that contract runs out, they won't see the Big10 except in bowl games because of the BTN. Once the BTN was put in play ESPN started their full-time push towards the SEC and worked to get the Big12 and Pac-10 more in the fold. If ESPN has proven anything over the last 15 years of their existance it's that they love being the king and they will try to bury anyone they feel is a threat to their money machine. It's not about sports for them anymore, it's about "business".

No, they are losing B10 games to the BTN and they are entering into a stretch next year where they get prime time SEC games away from CBS as well as Thursday night and early Saturday games. The SEC Network that was formed with ESPN will seal the fate of the SEC as ESPN's love child for the next 15 years. The contract doesn't end until 2023 or 2024. It's gonna be a long few years, my friends.

The haters might as well go beat their heads, methodically against a brick wall for hours on end...it'll get the same results, as KOK is here for as long as Kirk is. The "haters" are funny...they LOVE Kirk and hate KOK, conveniently forgetting that KOK is only doing things the way Kirk wants them. I guess people just need something to b!tch about...I choose SECSPN...it's more fun to go after an entire cult-like regime than it is one guy who's only doing things the way his boss wants them done...

There is some truth in this. But the issues I have with KOK are not the overall philiosophy of the offense (Which is KF's philosophy), but some of the individual play calls (3 pass plays inside the 10 in the MSU game) and the lack of consistancy from our QB position.

I still do not care for KOK as our QB coach. This week I plan on putting together some thoughts about the issues I have with KOK. Had Iowa lost I wouldn't have been able to do this becasue it would have been seen as "jumping off the bandwagon".

Call me a "hater" if you want. I've got no ill-will towards him what so ever. Winning or losing, I'm just not sold on him as the best option for our offensive coordinator. We could certainly do much, much, worse, but I think there are better options out there that could have more offensive success even within KF's offensive philosophy.

There is some truth in this. But the issues I have with KOK are not the overall philiosophy of the offense (Which is KF's philosophy), but some of the individual play calls (3 pass plays inside the 10 in the MSU game) and the lack of consistancy from our QB position.

I still do not care for KOK as our QB coach. This week I plan on putting together some thoughts about the issues I have with KOK. Had Iowa lost I wouldn't have been able to do this becasue it would have been seen as "jumping off the bandwagon".

Call me a "hater" if you want. I've got no ill-will towards him what so ever. Winning or losing, I'm just not sold on him as the best option for our offensive coordinator. We could certainly do much, much, worse, but I think there are better options out there that could have more offensive success even within KF's offensive philosophy.

I don't have a problem with that TubaHawk...we all question plays. I just get tired of the endless bashing and threads about it from the same people over and over again. I just put more on the team not executing the plays than some do...especially since Stanzi has the option to check down at the line.

Edit: "option to check down at the line"<<<most of the time.

I admit I'm a KOK Hater, but I really haven't been very upset with his playcalling this season. Sure there are head shakers here and there, but he's done a pretty good job this season.

Execution is where the issue is more times than not.

I will be patiently waiting your thoughts. It just seems that there has to be something better out there. To me its the stats, the offense is not winning these games for us. It's Tyler MF Sash and the rest of the defense. People say that if you disagree with the job that KOK doing, then you are disagreeing with KF. I don't think that is the issue, at least not entirely. KOK and KF are life long friends. Maybe that is an issue, maybe not, but in my mind it has some influence. I don't see KF firing KOK no matter what happens. To me its the stats, they don't lie.

NCAA Statistics:
Total Offense 74th
Total Defense 19th
Total Scoring Offense 74th
Total Scoring Defense 14th

Last edited:
Here's my problem with KOK: there is NO VARIETY in his playcalling. It seemed like EVERY run play called yesterday was the off-tackle zone read. No FB dive, WR reverse, nothing like that. I mean, Wegher got some yards, but more often than not it was sniffed out for little to no gain. That damn zone read takes so long to set up, Indiana's D was on it quick most of the time. Now I understand, without the zone read play McNutt's and DJK's TD catches don't happen. I recognize that, but JUST ONCE I would like to see Wegher (any of Iowa's RB's, actually) get the ball on a toss or some sort of dive where they get a head of steam going. The zone read just gets blown up way too much in my opinion, and KOK continues to stick with it. I think we just need plays that don't take 2-3 seconds to set up every time, especially when Indiana had 7-8 in the box.

KOK is just so deliberate with his playcalling, I just wish there was a little more excitement/variety in the plays. Granted we *are* 9-0, but I feel like we're undefeated *in spite* of the offense (obviously they've struggled at times this year).

tubahawk. Im looking forward to your thoughts. I also would like to have a different QB coach, even with KOK being the offensive coordinator. I think those are two huge coaching positions and it would be nice to have two different coaches analyzing instead of one. I think at most schools they have two coaches doing these jobs, not just one.

If I understand correct. KOK is the QB coach as well. Chuck Long is looking for employment. Maybe he could help us win a NC next year!! He bring NC experience from his Oklahoma days.

tubahawk. Im looking forward to your thoughts. I also would like to have a different QB coach, even with KOK being the offensive coordinator. I think those are two huge coaching positions and it would be nice to have two different coaches analyzing instead of one. I think at most schools they have two coaches doing these jobs, not just one.

After taking a day or two to recover from my frustrations on Saturday I've had a chance to put my thoughts to paper. Be patient with me, it's my first blog. It's a new thing for me. I'd love to hear other's thoughts.

http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/blog.php?b=34

I think part of the reason we dominate the 4th quarter is when it's clutch he opens the play book up more. If he did that the entire game I think we could look more like the 2002 offense.

Latest posts