The New Super Jesus Conference they are talking about

InGoodCo

Here's the link

Atlantic 10 open to adding Big East basketball schools, creating 21-team conference -- source - ESPN

I've been discussing this with Creighton honks for a few days. They are simply jazzed about the notion that this might happen. I for 1, have advised them to look at it with caution. Not only would CU probably be one of the weaker schools from a history stand point in hoops, they may also be in possibly the weakest recruiting area of the schools mentioned. CU fans I've spoken to think it will raise their national profile, open recruiting doors and put them on a bigger stage then what The Valley currently does. Some have told me that they think it would hurt recruiting at schools like Iowa and ISU, and definitely for the other Valley schools in the midwest because CU would have a bigger brand name.

I look at it as - They won't have football (the conference that is), and all the recruiting advantages that provides as well as the #1 thing, the revenue. I would think this kind of conference would have trouble "Keeping up with the Jones's" so to say because nearby programs like The B1G and Big 12 will just have more resources. I think they are already a major player most years in basketball in The Valley and joining this kind of conference could actually hurt their chances of making the dance consitently, rather then help it.

Any thoughts from hawkeyenation?

pretty sure they've hitched their wagon to the ACC, I'm just curious as to how some of you guys see this playing out if it were to happen. Good or bad for CU. Good or bad or no impact on ISU, Iowa, UNI,Drake, NE?

Where does the article mention Creighton? I don't think CU joining this super conf would impact Iowa, ISU in the slightest. CU would go from being a big fish in the Valley to a little fish and challenging for conf titles and NCAA berths would be much more difficult.

Is there really a point to conferences anymore? It's getting to a point where everyone should just schedule whoever the **** they want.

I really don't think they just merge with the A-10 to form this 21 team conference. I mean how profitable would that be to split basketball only money between 21 teams. If I was them I'd split and form a new basketball only conference and cherry pick the best midwest/east midmajor teams. They could go 2 ways cherry pick the best catholic schools and form a catholic basketball league say this

Catholic Basketball League
Georgetown
Providence
Seton Hall
Marquette
St.John's
Depaul
Villanova
Xavier
St.Joe's
St.Louis
Creighton
St. Bonaventure

That'd be a descent all catholic league other catholic schools they could add(Duquense/Fordham/Lasalle)

What I'd say they should do is not worry about if their catholic and cherry pick from all the east nonfootball midmajor programs

New Big East basketball
Gtown
Providence
Seton Hall
Marquette
St. Johns
Depaul
Villanova

Add these 4
Xavier
St.Joe's
Creighton
Butler

And combination of 1 to 3 of these teams
StL/GW/VCU/RI

That would give you pretty damn good 12 or 14 team basketball league with no football playing schools.

Think about how bad Cincinnati and UConn may get screwed in all this. Not only are they stuck in a horrible football league, but if these 7 leave, their great basketball programs maybe left in horrible basketball league too.

Last edited:
I wondered if the catholic schools would band together at some point to fight the bigger conferences for TV revenues. It would not surprise me if ESPN was encouraging this as well.

I could care less, unless it is tournament I am not tuning in to watch these games anyway.

so... the consensus here is nobody cares...

I was kinda hoping to get some thoughts on what it might do to Creighton's program. Their fans have trouble looking past a time when Doug McD was part of the team and kinda think going to the dance is going to be a rite of passage for them every season now. Anywho, thanks for the replies hawks.

so... the consensus here is nobody cares...

I was kinda hoping to get some thoughts on what it might do to Creighton's program. Their fans have trouble looking past a time when Doug McD was part of the team and kinda think going to the dance is going to be a rite of passage for them every season now. Anywho, thanks for the replies hawks.

First of all Creighton has been a decent basketball program for a long time under Altman well before McDermott got there. He inherited a good team and then added his own son, who turned out to be a pretty good player. I will be interested in seeing how well he can keep it going after his son graduates.

I cannot see this move helping or hurting Creighton as far as recruiting is concerned, I think if Nebraska was to ever get their heads out of the sand would have a bigger impact. A move like this would help them financially as I am sure they can get more TV revenues from this new conference than they would staying in the Missouri Valley. But this steps them up competitively, a move like this could end up hurting them if they do not remain competitive. Look what happened to DePaul after they moved from CUSA to the Big East, they went from being a competitive mid major to the joke of a major conference.

Latest posts