The New Kirk (ESPN)

So much is riding on this Wisconsin game as far as national attention and respect. Iowa has won some exciting games already, but really hasn't beaten anyone of great substance yet this year. A win over a ranked team in Madison would go a long ways towards that.

It feels good to be excited for Iowa football once again.

So much is riding on this Wisconsin game as far as national attention and respect. Iowa has won some exciting games already, but really hasn't beaten anyone of great substance yet this year. A win over a ranked team in Madison would go a long ways towards that.

It feels good to be excited for Iowa football once again.

yes, Iowa is right back to where it was last year right before Iowa played Wisc. If Iowa would have beatt Wisc, they would have gained national respect and been ranked.

But there seems to be more optimism this year that Iowa can pull it off even though its in Madison. But do remember being a little excited before the Wisc game last year.

I have been down on Ferentz the past 2 years. I would love for him to be the coach at Iowa until he no longer wants to be, but he has to give results that are worthy of that distinction. I am optimistic about the program right now, I have a firm belief that having Brian on the staff, with the ability to challenge Kirk (maybe only in private) about the way he does things has made a huge impact on the program. The longer Brian is there the more "modern" we seem to become. Let's go get Wisconsin this weekend, if that happens I am a believer.

KF = class act

those trashing this guy for his contract can go to hell ....

To be fair, it IS a horrible contract (unless you're KF).

That said, I felt back in 2009 that Kirk was worth the money, it was always the duration I was uneasy with, and the fact that 2010-2014 had been pretty mediocre. If KF starts turning in good football seasons again, I won't have a problem with his salary.

Still a lot of season left, but things are looking good so far. Big one in Madison this weekend..

Last edited:
Great article. Love the comments from Doyle and Kaeding.

Say what you want about Ferentz, but if you lean towards criticizing ask yourself who knows more about football and the state of Iowa than those two guys? I've been more critical of him than ever in recent years, but reading those comments really made me take a look at what's important. Especially the following comment by Kaeding:

"But my opinion is that the core of the Iowa fan base has always been behind this program.

"And Kirk is such a great representation of this state. His character and personality, I think, are a perfect fit. He's humble, works hard, is respectful but can be tough. Those are things that we pride ourselves on as Iowans."

I do hope that we don't panic if the Hawks don't get a win in Madison on Saturday. Yes, it is a very big game and as a WI resident, this is one that I want badly. I will be in Madison cheering my Hawks to a victory. But, if it goes the wrong way, we still have 7 very important games to play.

Last year, after the Nebraska debacle and Ferentz's post-game press conference, t-shirts were for sale that said simply, "That's Football".

After last week's press conference, they should put out a new t-shirt that says, "It's a new me!" (copyright)

yes, Iowa is right back to where it was last year right before Iowa played Wisc. If Iowa would have beatt Wisc, they would have gained national respect and been ranked.

But there seems to be more optimism this year that Iowa can pull it off even though its in Madison. But do remember being a little excited before the Wisc game last year.

your memory is a bit off. At the time of the Wisconsin game last year, they were 6-3 and were two weeks removed from the *** kicking in Minnesota.

I do hope that we don't panic if the Hawks don't get a win in Madison on Saturday. Yes, it is a very big game and as a WI resident, this is one that I want badly. I will be in Madison cheering my Hawks to a victory. But, if it goes the wrong way, we still have 7 very important games to play.

This seems like a 9-3 type team to me so it would be logical that this would be one of the three losses. Hope not of course and hope we come out of it healthy.

"New Kirk" Wasn't that the British guy on "Hogan's Heroes?"

I still think a lot of the criticism of the last 5 years was valid. Anyone with half a brain knows KF is a good dude, that said you still need to win football games. KF has even acknowledged that he is fortunate to be at Iowa because at a lot of other places he would have been fired by now.

Does this mean we are relevant again?
I still want to point out to everyone that ESPN still can't spell the word "Hawkeyes" yet. Check the link

I still think a lot of the criticism of the last 5 years was valid. Anyone with half a brain knows KF is a good dude, that said you still need to win football games. KF has even acknowledged that he is fortunate to be at Iowa because at a lot of other places he would have been fired by now.

Dead on and dead right. Iowa values as indicated in the article........ Really??? What's the average salary that a family earns in Iowa $35,000 to $45,000 a year??? What happens if they don't do the job they are hired to do? Yep, your Azz is on the unemployment line. I don't see how anyone can say it's an Iowa value to be paid a top salary in your field or profession and then perform at a level that would only be considered average among your peers.

No one wants KF to be successful more than I do. I hope he kicks *** tomorrow and if he does then I will begin to regain a little more faith in him like I once had. When people were boo hooing about stoops this and stoops that and we were winning one or two games a year I said be patient and have faith in KF. I knew he had a great understanding of the fundamentals of the game and as he built the lines up the tide would change. He did just that and built up a very nice program over the next five years after that. Then the conference coaches figured out his schemes and started to shut him down. What disappointed me was his stubbornness and unwillingness to adapt and change year after year even though things were not working.

I am not sold just yet on this new Kirk stuff. Just last week it took a long field goal to beat a middle of the road football team. What would a lot of you been saying if we would have lost in overtime??? Back to square one is where would be today. If we didn't have a decent functioning QB this year we would be in same boat as the last five years.

Our schedule is also very weak this year. All things have to be given consideration. I honestly try to be as open minded as possible in all aspects of the things I support whether it is in my religion, politics, sports, or money. KF was hired to build and maintain a successful football program not to be my minister or spiritual leader. Do I want to see some of the same attributes in our coaches that I would like to see in my friends at church.... of course I do. That is great thing. I dispise the mentality among the SEC fans who believe you win at all cost no matter how much it cost. At the same time just as in my faith I believe there has got to be accountability for the things that are expected from each and everyone of us. Best of luck to the coaches and players tomorrow. Let's make The Iowa Hawkeye football program relevant once again but beating the Badgers. Go Hawks, ON IOWA!!!!!