The Matchups: Iowa vs Wisconsin

Jon's going with the beatdown pick. Hope it swings that way. I'm seeing a much tighter 24-17 type of game, with Iowa winning of course.

I can honestly say, I haven't seen one prediction looking around at different prognosticators in which the Hawks lose.

Holy crap spud.

I like Iowa's chances too ... however, I also believe that Iowa's advantage on D isn't quite as great as is suggested.

Wisconsin arguably has an O that is a good bit better than it was last year and Iowa's D is just a shade worse than it was last year. I'm not sure how much that helps out Iowa's cause.

On the flip side, Wisconsin's D is about the same as last year ... and Iowa's O is arguably a good bit better.

I really have a hard time calling the game as being a whole lot different from last year.

I think that toughness is going to be the key in this game ... that is, provided that special teams play and turnovers don't sway it one way or the other. Last year, Iowa proved to be the more physical and tougher team. Will we be the tougher team this year? I hope so ....

Spud Webb is writing for hawkeyenation!?!?!?!?!?

Holy crap spud.

I like Iowa's chances too ... however, I also believe that Iowa's advantage on D isn't quite as great as is suggested.

Wisconsin arguably has an O that is a good bit better than it was last year and Iowa's D is just a shade worse than it was last year. I'm not sure how much that helps out Iowa's cause.

On the flip side, Wisconsin's D is about the same as last year ... and Iowa's O is arguably a good bit better.

I really have a hard time calling the game as being a whole lot different from last year.

I think that toughness is going to be the key in this game ... that is, provided that special teams play and turnovers don't sway it one way or the other. Last year, Iowa proved to be the more physical and tougher team. Will we be the tougher team this year? I hope so ....

@Tmoney- a much paler and less athletic version. I never played for the Atlanta Hawks or won a dunk contest.

@Homer- Iowa's offense is that much better than last season, and Wisconsin is missing one Key from last year's defense- the ability to generate a pass rush. Chris Borland was huge in last years game and that allowed Watt to thrive also. There is now 2nd threat for Wisconsin now allowing Iowa to scheme Watt this year. Also their secondary does not look impressive and I am not sure who is worse Ezeh or St. Jean.

Iowa's defense is much better against the rush than it was last year and Tolzien seems to have regressed. He is much less likely to attack downfield and isn't very mobile in the pocket. If Iowa can start out hot and take a 10- 14 point lead Wisconsin can't recover. This is what I am expecting to happen. Iowa gets up early and takes the running game out with a combo of good early defense and good early offense.

@Homer- Iowa's offense is that much better than last season, and Wisconsin is missing one Key from last year's defense- the ability to generate a pass rush. Chris Borland was huge in last years game and that allowed Watt to thrive also. There is now 2nd threat for Wisconsin now allowing Iowa to scheme Watt this year. Also their secondary does not look impressive and I am not sure who is worse Ezeh or St. Jean.

Iowa's defense is much better against the rush than it was last year and Tolzien seems to have regressed. He is much less likely to attack downfield and isn't very mobile in the pocket. If Iowa can start out hot and take a 10- 14 point lead Wisconsin can't recover. This is what I am expecting to happen. Iowa gets up early and takes the running game out with a combo of good early defense and good early offense.

I agree that Iowa's D is better against the run now. Thus, that certainly is a feather in Iowa's cap. However, I think that Kendricks is a bit more of a threat than what Wisky provided at TE last year (in part because Graham got injured in last years game).

The issue that I see in Tolzien is not as much that he's regressed as the following:

- He's always been pretty dependent on throwing to the TE ... and it shows.
- Rather than having a dangerous DUO like Graham AND Kendricks at TE ... Kendricks is now the only big receiving threat at TE.
- Last year Tolzien had the benefit of throwing the ball to a healthy Toon. Toon's health early in the 2010 season has hurt Tolzien's production.

During Wisconsin's 4th quarter game-winning drive versus OSU, they ran their last 5 running plays off of their left side...between the guard and tackle....and on in for the game-clinching TD.

After seeing where Carimi and Wagner play (LT and LG), I now fully understand why.

Last edited:
Congrats to Spud on last weeks crazy predictions....Iowa made almost all of them come to fruition...cept for the Mossbrucker prediction.

Hope you are spot on again this week.

Congrats to Spud on last weeks crazy predictions....Iowa made almost all of them come to fruition...cept for the Mossbrucker prediction.

Hope you are spot on again this week.
Them's some bold predictions right there fella. Hope he's right.

I'll say final score will be 28-13. I don't think this game will be the offensive showing we're hoping for in part because of the weather, but I think our defense shows up big. In fact, I'd be surprised if Wisconsin scores more than 10. I think we make a couple of mistakes that lead to good field position and maybe a special teams blunder as well. All in all, we match up very well with Wisconsin. Let's just hope the physical play doesn't leave us with any injuries into a potential top 10 matchup next week.

I don't see this being a beat down. I actually think this will be the toughest game of the Big Ten year. Maybe I'm buying into the Wisconsin offensive line hype too much but this is the Big Ten team I'm most concerned about.

Still think we win though.

Tough game. Iowa CAN win, but not sure they will. Our offense is going to need to click the whole game....control the ball and the clock. Don't make mistakes and don't fail to capitalize in the Red Zone...and I mean get TD's instead of FG's.

On defense, make Wisconsin work for every yard. It would be nice to get up by a couple of TD's early and get the Badgers out of their game plan. Make their QB beat us.

Also...if Iowa gets the lead they should put the pedal to the metal...DO NOT let the Badgers "hang around"!

Still....I don't see either team winning by more than 10-13 points...it will probably only be by 7 or less. Whoever dominates line play (offensive and defensive) is going to win.

I'd like to see a lot of DJK and McNutt (on the slant) early on. Loosen up Wisconsin's D then pound the ball.

Latest posts