The late offensive drought-your thoughts

uihawk82

I thought Garza was staying too low by the basket too much. Rutgers was really overplaying him and not getting whistled and the hawks didnt want to force the ball in so the offense went sluggish.

I thought Garza should have flashed outside more like in the normal offense because he is such a 3 point threat it stretches their defense and it opens the lane up for JW, CJF and JT.

some good hi-low back screens by Kreiner and Garza at about the free throw line could also open them up better for good passes down low for easy baskets. Actually the hawks did one of those and Kreiner was wide open but didnt look in the pass to his hands and bumbled it out of bounds.

Cant have these 7 minute basket droughts with such a good offensive team.

Did you notice other things like spacing etc the hawks needed to fix in that part of the game?

The whole team looked tired to me during the last 10 minutes of the game. Rutgers is deep and athletic and they were doubling Garza a lot.

Agree that Garza should flash outside when the offense gets stagnant. Get him the ball.

Great win against one of the best teams in the conference.

Tired legs (agree above) and agree with OP that play design was kind of poor getting it to Garza at the end of the game.

I think slowing down our offense played into Rutgers hands a bit.

With that said it wasn’t nearly that bad as that stat makes it seem. We were still going to the free throw line some and scoring. Joe T missed a layup and Kriener dropped an easy one out of bounds. We had a few turnovers due to their pressure that cost us offensive possessions.

I'd say kudos to Rutgers for taking Garza out of the last few minutes. They are a pretty good defensive team.
Yeah I think he didn't score the last 10 mins or so... For that I say kudos to them as well. Not to mention kudos to our boys for getting it done despite that. I thought Garza might get 40 with how he'd gotten going there. But he really only had a small amount of touches down the stretch. We aren't a one man band for as good as he is. It's a fun group to watch and root for

Iowa is at their best when they are pushing tempo and getting out in transition. JW and CJF getting those open looks off the secondary break.

According to Kenpom Iowa is 95th in AdjT(possessions per 40 minutes) which I thought would be lower, but given how much zone they have to play on D it kinda makes sense. APL(average possession length) they are 63rd which matches up with Fran wanting to push pace.

Being in the bonus kept Iowa from attempting a shot on several possessions during the drought.

I'd love to see Iowa clear out the lane for Toussaint. Think he could do some damage if he could isolate the defense.

Tired legs (agree above) and agree with OP that play design was kind of poor getting it to Garza at the end of the game.
I thought the passes were there to be made but for some reason guys just didn't have the confidence to make the pass. Garza had his man sealed several times but the guards passed and tried to make some long shots. Got to make those passes to Garza and hope for the best.

Latest posts