The last 3 games....one very good/great player.....and a bunch of role players...with ole Fran defense

HaydenHawk56

1-2

Thoughts:

If they want to be a Top 5 team....heck Top 10 team.....they need Weiscamp and JBo to be who we thought they would be as well. Garza is a gift no doubt....but he is also not Jordan.....and even Jordan had his Pippen/Grant/Harper/etc to lean consistently on.

If you are going to win by out-scoring people and not playing defense...well that is what you are going to have to do. Maybe we are not good enough for that either to do night in and night out. Score a lot of point sure...but still come up short because there is not enough defensive scheme going on.

Going back to Grinnell...the ultimate system of outscoring teams....they specialize in shooting hundreds of 3 point shots in practice. And they actually use their press more than just to slow down the opponent and actively force turnovers.

Now this team is not a Grinnell system, but I kind of wonder what exactly is the goal on offense? Do we want to be a great 3 point shooting team? Do we want to feed the beast and have the offense run through him? Do we want to be a dribble drive team? What exactly is the identity on our offense? Because at times they seem to be want to be all these things, but they don't look particular sound in either of these areas. That is not in anyway saying Garza does not look productive (outside of the first half of Minny game), but there are stretches of games where he goes several offensive possessions where he does not even see a touch....and he is clearly our greatest offensive threat. I mean if you want Nunge to be a great 3 point shooter....and not give Garza touches...well then....ok.

Sure it would be great to be very good at all of these things, but you also need to know who you are when they is not the case. I would argue that it is criminal if Garza does not a touch every time down the court. Even if he doesn't score, the attention he brings with double and triple teams has to leave someone open.

This team probably could benefit from a more balanced approach on both offense and defense. But they need to identify their consistent strengths, toughen up and play smarter defense, and some on the team need to be plain more consistent (Weiscamp and JBo).

And my goodness, Championship teams can make their free-throws.

I think we need to do these things if we want to win the Big Ten and make a deep run in the NCAAs.

Last edited:
Garza might not be touching the ball every possession because of fatigue sometimes. If he takes off a possession of posting up hard to catch a quick breather, I'm ok with it. Better than taking one off on defense. Also if Nunge is in the game and happens to touch the ball before Garza, we all know Garza won't get a touch on that possession because Nunge is undoubtedly jacking that shot up.

This conference season is going to be brutal...for everyone. We’re still 5th on Kenpom. The Big 10 has 7 of the top 25... and 13 of the top 53. And Nebraska is 116 which isn’t horrible.

We are slow to react on offense and even more so on defense. We've all seen and said this. Cannot protect the perimeter and we allow way too much penetration.

Wieskamp has been good IMO. We have to make our FTs...and I think we’ll see significant improvement going forward.
I think Wieskamp has been better than a role player. Taking the season on the whole, he has been good. But, he is not knocking down shots like he needs to for this team to win a Big Ten Title. I will give Wieskamp credit that he is at least trying to take the ball to the hoop when his shot is not dropping.

Didn't get to watch very much of the game

Was at my daughter, Kates for Christmas and we had to go driving around
to see the Christmas lights during the OT

We did come within a free throw from winning the game against a very good
Minnesota team

The formula remains the same:

Win every game at home and a few on the road
Hope you are one of the top 4 in the conference
this season, win the Big regular-season championship
Win the BTT

And hopefully, get to play Gonzaga in the Final Four or
The Championship Game

I am not certain if both Jordan and Connor were on the floor the
last 2 minutes, but they Certainly should have been

Should have been one of them taking the last 2 free throws in regulation

We were never going to go undefeated this season and the possibility of
losing to the Zags and a few games in the BigTen were certain

We have a solid team and will continue to provide thrills, joy, and heartache
the rest of the season

Sit back and enjoy the ride, Lads

Last edited:
JT had just swished 4-4 pressure FTs in the previous 30 seconds -- at that moment he was exactly who I wanted at the FT line.

Latest posts