The it's too early who all is going to be back next yr thread

Hawkfnntn

On another thread I was predicting that Campbell is going to go pro early. Who else may be leaving for the pros or to transfer?

Linderbaum seems obvious but he's sent mixed signals that he's a maybe for that but let's assume he goes so we don't get our hopes up too high.

Goodson? RBs have shorter odometers then most football players so might he try? Not sure another yr in college would boost his resume much...

Laporta? His stats don't blow anyone away and his attributes are probably middle of the pack but maybe he goes? I doubt it though I think he stays

Belton? He's put some impressive tape out there. Playing DB for PP and Iowa has some pull so maybe he goes early? Granted he plays a bit of a non traditional position of sorts but it's also similar to what Desmond King is doing in the NFL now so I dunno I'd keep an eye on that.

Moss I know he was playing well early on but I don't think his game translates to the next level all that well call me crazy but I think he's back

Petras I think might transfer closer to home... If he thinks he's lost the gig and it kinda looks that way then it seems logical for him to look around.

Jacobs is my wild card. Yeah he hasn't played much but physically he's got it and then some. He could win the underwear Olympics part of the combine just by getting off the bus. He's eligible to go might he actually do it? Let's hope not...

Who am I missing?

On another thread I was predicting that Campbell is going to go pro early. Who else may be leaving for the pros or to transfer?

Linderbaum seems obvious but he's sent mixed signals that he's a maybe for that but let's assume he goes so we don't get our hopes up too high.

Goodson? RBs have shorter odometers then most football players so might he try? Not sure another yr in college would boost his resume much...

Laporta? His stats don't blow anyone away and his attributes are probably middle of the pack but maybe he goes? I doubt it though I think he stays

Belton? He's put some impressive tape out there. Playing DB for PP and Iowa has some pull so maybe he goes early? Granted he plays a bit of a non traditional position of sorts but it's also similar to what Desmond King is doing in the NFL now so I dunno I'd keep an eye on that.

Moss I know he was playing well early on but I don't think his game translates to the next level all that well call me crazy but I think he's back

Petras I think might transfer closer to home... If he thinks he's lost the gig and it kinda looks that way then it seems logical for him to look around.

Jacobs is my wild card. Yeah he hasn't played much but physically he's got it and then some. He could win the underwear Olympics part of the combine just by getting off the bus. He's eligible to go might he actually do it? Let's hope not...

Who am I missing?
Linderbaum - I think he's gone. That position takes too much of a beating and he's not doing his knees any favors by staying. He can start NFL-ready at almost any pro team right now. He gone.

Goodson - I have no idea if he'll stay or not, but he's not gonna make it in the NFL. Pro RBs are such a rare breed that the chances of him even making a practice squad are nil I think. Look at Daniels and Wadley...no more than a sniff.

LaPorta - I think this one's pretty obvious that he can use another year of development to push him over the edge. One thing he does have going for him is coming from Iowa. Fant/Hittle/Hawkenson are fresh in everyone's minds and that will persuade a lot of NFL teams. He's definitely Sunday material next year.

Belton - A guy that I think might benefit from the cautionary tale of Josh Jackson. Jackson was drafted highly on his interception count, and once he got to the NFL is hasn't really worked out. Most of what coaches said when he wasn't getting PT was that it was the mental side of the game that he couldn't get his head around. Belton isn't an obvious upper rounder and I think another year would be good for him.

Moss - Great college player but, like you said, he doesn't translate into the NFL. Also worth noting, if he did make a team and play a defensive snap, he'd be the only white cornerback to do so in the last 19 years. Not great odds.

Petras - I see Petras staying and Hogan bolting. He'd only have a year left to play if Padilla remained the starter and finished out his career, and I see Hogan as a kid who want's to chase NFL dreams. He ain't doing that being a one or two year starter (at most) at Iowa.

Jacobs - No clue, but I also don't see a compelling reason to leave until he puts up some stats for scouts.

Belton might want to stay if Koerner leaves and Dane can get a full season at either safety spot.

Jacobs looked lost at first in pass coverage against the Illini. He could use another year to put some great tape out there.

Goodson would be helped with another year and with time in the slot with Williams at tailback on certain plays. Goodson has really good hands.

Laporta - not sure why they are not using him and Lachey up the hash marks like Hawk offenses of the past.

My hope is that Linderbaum is the only one gone. I dont see any of the others getting drafted early for sure, if at all.

Belton needs to play safety for a year at Iowa as that is what I think he translates to in the League.

Petras should go, I think we are going to see a change in philosophy at the QB position and go to a more mobile type QB. And I really want to see the Deuce let loose.

If Wadley couldnt make it, the I dont think Goodson has a chance.

LaPorta needs one more season.

I think Tracy transfers.
Agreed. I'm almost surprised he hasn't already. It'll be interesting to see if he's around for the bowl game if we don't (when we don't) play in Indianapolis. Feels like he might be sticking around to see how that pays out. Once Wisky beats MN I have a feeling he's checking out.

Campbell - 30-40% chance he goes.
Lindy - 40% chance he stays.
TGood and LaPorta - Staying
Belton - 30% he goes
Moss and Jones - 80% chance each stays as a Super Senior (Moss is a FS in the NFL)
Petras/Hogan - We won't see movement until after bowl season. 40% chance each transfers.
Jacobs - Stays at least 1 more year.

Tracy... He is the real wild card in this group. I think if he was going to go, it will be after bowl season at this point. He seems to really enjoy his teammates and free trip. There is a part of me that says if he were to leave he would be gone by now. Honestly, I would love to see them work him at RB during bowl prep to see if that could work. Give TGood some time in the slot. Imagine the possibility of having Tracy and TGood on the field at the same time with the idea that either or both could line up at RB or in the slot. Even if that weren't to happen, it is time to move Tracy back to the slot. Have AB4, Johnson, and Jones as your wide outs and Tracy and Nico as your slots.

Campbell - 30-40% chance he goes.
Lindy - 40% chance he stays.
TGood and LaPorta - Staying
Belton - 30% he goes
Moss and Jones - 80% chance each stays as a Super Senior (Moss is a FS in the NFL)
Petras/Hogan - We won't see movement until after bowl season. 40% chance each transfers.
Jacobs - Stays at least 1 more year.

Tracy... He is the real wild card in this group. I think if he was going to go, it will be after bowl season at this point. He seems to really enjoy his teammates and free trip. There is a part of me that says if he were to leave he would be gone by now. Honestly, I would love to see them work him at RB during bowl prep to see if that could work. Give TGood some time in the slot. Imagine the possibility of having Tracy and TGood on the field at the same time with the idea that either or both could line up at RB or in the slot. Even if that weren't to happen, it is time to move Tracy back to the slot. Have AB4, Johnson, and Jones as your wide outs and Tracy and Nico as your slots.
You lean way more in favor of many of those folks staying then I do.

I didn't mention Hogan earlier and yeah he's a possibility to leave regardless of what Petras does. The QB we have coming in next yr from OK is named May and he put up some video game numbers this yr. He is big but isn't a statue like Petras he has some significant rushing stats although I don't think he's a true duel threat type at this level. But his arm is legit. I could see Hogan looking around closer to home as well if he doesn't think he can beat out Padilla and if May might leap frog him then he would certainly leave I would think

I wasn't thinking about Hawks when i saw this thread title.

Looking at opponents - several loaded with 5th & 6th yr this year.
Iowa has chance to be the most experienced team in the West.

It'll be interesting to see how all these teams and coaching staffs handle the transfer portal. Essentially a chance to fill spots, but majority weren't starters at school they are currently attending.

You lean way more in favor of many of those folks staying then I do.

I didn't mention Hogan earlier and yeah he's a possibility to leave regardless of what Petras does. The QB we have coming in next yr from OK is named May and he put up some video game numbers this yr. He is big but isn't a statue like Petras he has some significant rushing stats although I don't think he's a true duel threat type at this level. But his arm is legit. I could see Hogan looking around closer to home as well if he doesn't think he can beat out Padilla and if May might leap frog him then he would certainly leave I would think
I find that people tend to play the 'what would I do' game at this time of year - no judgements I am guilty of it too.
I just think Campbell and especially Lindy are Iowa guys through and through. Guys that are living their dreams to wear the Black and Gold. But like I said, 'what would I do.'

May is going to be a 2-3 year starter. I don't think I have ever been as impressed with a QB's highlight reel - at least for one who committed to Iowa.

That said Labas is never talked about, but he looks like a Rick-6 clone. And that would be A-OK for me. I'd love it and never leave it.

Odd fact, Petras had more rushing yards in highschool than Padilla did.

I find that people tend to play the 'what would I do' game at this time of year - no judgements I am guilty of it too.
I just think Campbell and especially Lindy are Iowa guys through and through. Guys that are living their dreams to wear the Black and Gold. But like I said, 'what would I do.'

May is going to be a 2-3 year starter. I don't think I have ever been as impressed with a QB's highlight reel - at least for one who committed to Iowa.

That said Labas is never talked about, but he looks like a Rick-6 clone. And that would be A-OK for me. I'd love it and never leave it.

Odd fact, Petras had more rushing yards in highschool than Padilla did.
Yeah all we can really do is the what would I do game. We can't possibly know enough to put ourselves in someone elses shoes enough to be certain. I'm by no means chasing any of those guys off I'd like em all to come back and see what kind of damage we can do. We'd hopefully only be better if they did. That NFL $ and lifestyle is just tough to turn down at the end of the day.

I'd read something awhile ago on Twitter from an Okie st fan that was pissed that they were late getting in on May and missed the boat on him. He thought really highly of him and thinks he's the real deal. Kinda thought that about Petras at one point too so we'll see but something to be happy about.

Honestly I haven't seen as much about Labas. Just know he's a leaner guy as you've kinda eluded to and not a Stanley/Petras type so much. That's about all I know.

I did know that Padilla was more of a mobile style guy like what Drew Tate was. Not so much as a rusher but as a guy that could extend plays to still throw it. But I had no idea about that fact about he and Petras that is interesting. But HS is HS it's tough to know how that'll translate not just to D1 but how Iowa likes to play

Yeah all we can really do is the what would I do game. We can't possibly know enough to put ourselves in someone elses shoes enough to be certain. I'm by no means chasing any of those guys off I'd like em all to come back and see what kind of damage we can do. We'd hopefully only be better if they did. That NFL $ and lifestyle is just tough to turn down at the end of the day.

I'd read something awhile ago on Twitter from an Okie st fan that was pissed that they were late getting in on May and missed the boat on him. He thought really highly of him and thinks he's the real deal. Kinda thought that about Petras at one point too so we'll see but something to be happy about.

Honestly I haven't seen as much about Labas. Just know he's a leaner guy as you've kinda eluded to and not a Stanley/Petras type so much. That's about all I know.

I did know that Padilla was more of a mobile style guy like what Drew Tate was. Not so much as a rusher but as a guy that could extend plays to still throw it. But I had no idea about that fact about he and Petras that is interesting. But HS is HS it's tough to know how that'll translate not just to D1 but how Iowa likes to play
I really think May was a huge miss for all schools not named Iowa or in the top 15 in recruiting ranking.
He just looks like he has 'It'. The way CJB did in his high school tape. A swagger.

When I saw Labas's tape I thought of Rick. Not the strongest arm, but great touch and timing. Then I saw his size - matches up with Stanzi. Then apparently it was Ricky who told the coaches about Labas.

High school QB rushing numbers are more of a byproduct of system than anything else. I just love that fact because so many internet folk (not necessarily you) tout Padilla as a dual threat QB.

Linderbaum - I think he's gone. That position takes too much of a beating and he's not doing his knees any favors by staying. He can start NFL-ready at almost any pro team right now. He gone.

Goodson - I have no idea if he'll stay or not, but he's not gonna make it in the NFL. Pro RBs are such a rare breed that the chances of him even making a practice squad are nil I think. Look at Daniels and Wadley...no more than a sniff.

LaPorta - I think this one's pretty obvious that he can use another year of development to push him over the edge. One thing he does have going for him is coming from Iowa. Fant/Hittle/Hawkenson are fresh in everyone's minds and that will persuade a lot of NFL teams. He's definitely Sunday material next year.

Belton - A guy that I think might benefit from the cautionary tale of Josh Jackson. Jackson was drafted highly on his interception count, and once he got to the NFL is hasn't really worked out. Most of what coaches said when he wasn't getting PT was that it was the mental side of the game that he couldn't get his head around. Belton isn't an obvious upper rounder and I think another year would be good for him.

Moss - Great college player but, like you said, he doesn't translate into the NFL. Also worth noting, if he did make a team and play a defensive snap, he'd be the only white cornerback to do so in the last 19 years. Not great odds.

Petras - I see Petras staying and Hogan bolting. He'd only have a year left to play if Padilla remained the starter and finished out his career, and I see Hogan as a kid who want's to chase NFL dreams. He ain't doing that being a one or two year starter (at most) at Iowa.

Jacobs - No clue, but I also don't see a compelling reason to leave until he puts up some stats for scouts.

Not that this improves Moss' odds, but he would be the 2nd cornerback in 19 years. Troy Apke (WFT) is currently in the NFL. :)

Latest posts