The Hawks will change their history

AlmaMaterIowa

2005 was to set to be a huge year, and they fell short (although they were 2 plays away from winning a Big Ten Championship that year). And then, 2010, don't even get me started.

I think this year will be different, history will not repeat itself, and they build on last year's success, and will not fall short. Tougher schedule, yes, but most of those games are at home this year. I'm like the Cookie Monster in that IPhone commercial - I can't wait for this fall. It's going to be great. It is. See you in August fellow Hawkeye fans.

We started out like Cookie Monster but the last two games of the year put us in with Oscar. :)

I agree that If our backfield (QB and rb's) stays healthy we could see a repeat performance. That would be fun and even more legit with the increased level of difficulty of our schedule.

Beathard healthy with receivers playing well, off line healthy with our running backs means averaging a few more points a game. The field goal kicking needs to come through because that can set up so many wins.

In 2005 Iowa had to replace its entire defensive line with underclassmen. Iwebama & Mattison both sophomores at DE, and King & Kroul both freshmen at DT. Not much game experience at the beginning of the year, if any. Thankfully the Defensive backfield had a lot of experience. The offensive line was still unsettled well past the beginning of the year. I remember senior Mike Jones getting tried at both tackle spots before settling in once against at left guard. Jones's development after 2003 was something of a disappointment. Ed Hinkel was out for three games after the Purdue game, his absence quite possible making the difference in very close losses to Michigan and Northwestern. The refereens didn't help Iowa any against Michigan and Ferentz went ultra-conservative in the second half against Northwestern. (The beginning of a bad habit, I am afraid.)

We won't discuss that year's Outhouse bowl. I don't want to get anyone here started on that one.

Latest posts