The hawks are surprising me

Disagree. Playing us dead even for the final thirty minutes while maintaining a 20-25 point lead that we never cut into one single time is the very definition of thorough domination.

For a home team to never make one single run? Very seldom in a game like that does the home team not make at least one run. It never came. It was similar to what we did at Marquette a few years ago.

Playing even for 30 minutes is dominating the entire time? Wrong. We played horrible the first 5 minutes we played terrible and got smoked. The next 5 minutes we played bad and got beat. The rest of the game we played ok and played them even while they still played great. In my opinion you can't "dominate" a stretch of the game where you played your opponent even.

Playing even for 30 minutes is dominating the entire time? Wrong. We played horrible the first 5 minutes we played terrible and got smoked. The next 5 minutes we played bad and got beat. The rest of the game we played ok and played them even while they still played great. In my opinion you can't "dominate" a stretch of the game where you played your opponent even.
We were down 20-25 the rest of the game. If trading baskets while down 20-25 most of a game is playing ok and not getting dominated, then have at it i guess.

The 1984 Detroit Tigers started the season 35-5, then played .500 the rest of the way. Does that mean they were a .500 team three fourths of the season? They played .500 from the position of being 30 games over .500. That's a slight difference

We were down 20-25 the rest of the game. If trading baskets while down 20-25 most of a game is playing ok and not getting dominated, then have at it i guess.

The 1984 Detroit Tigers started the season 35-5, then played .500 the rest of the way. Does that mean they were a .500 team three fourths of the season? They played .500 from the position of being 30 games over .500. That's a slight difference

It's a 162 game season, not 122. So it all counts. To get to 30 games over .500 in the first place though.. Yeah I get your point.

"Winning the second" half against DePaul doesn't count for much IMO, or even playing even. When a game is out of hand, the team with the big lead tends to let up a bit. It's human nature. Maybe ditto for the 84 Tigers. They did win the world series, after all..

Iowa never made a run in the DePaul game. I would expect a good team to do that, especially on their home floor. There is no sugar coating that loss.

Last edited:
It's a 162 game season, not 122. So it all counts. To get to 30 games over .500 in the first place though.. Yeah I get your point.

"Winning the second" half against DePaul doesn't count for much IMO, or even playing even. When a game is out of hand, the team with the big lead tends to let up a bit. It's human nature. Maybe ditto for the 84 Tigers. They did win the world series, after all..

Iowa never made a run in the DePaul game. I would expect a good team to do that, especially on their home floor. There is no sugar coating that loss.

Actually, you could sugar coat it quite a bit. Not the actual result of the game, but the reason they lost and reasons to not take too much from it. It was game 2 of the season and their first against a competitive team. It was the first time the bullets flew that they were without last years departures. Roles weren't established. Garza playing like a beast wasn't established. We were still starting Nunge. It was Jordan's second game back from surgery.

There's definitely ways to sugar coat it....but the biggest reason why we can and should is because thankfully, we haven't seen another performance that inept since.

I feel dumb that I didn't know that ....but it's not a new feeling. :) - I am 100% with you.... I let a lot of other factors like losing the Depaul game, losing XF, losing Nunge, losing Pat, Cook and Moss leaving etc... all kind of build up to where I was extremely depressed about Iowa hoops for a few weeks. Considered not watching - which is unheard of for me. I also let some posters really influence me on this site. I am easily swayed and really don't know it all....so I tend to digest what I am told. I was told we were gonna be horrible... then I saw in the Depaul game and I was like, "well, this is just unacceptable" ..... I was guilty and starting to really edge towards Fran being out. I think I need to hold the phone here, Fran might be doing some of his best coaching in his career. I never thought we'd win a game in the NCAA's last season and I never thought we'd be 7-3 at this point in this season. Things change quick in college hoops.
Stick with me bro and I'll keep you on the right path :)

I thought we were worse than two years ago after the DePaul game. I don't remember a non conference opponent coming into Carver and doing us like that. Ever.
Hehe DePaul was deja vu to Seton Hall two years ago, I felt like there were a lot of other factors that affected us this year though. Kind of crescendo of negativity leading up to that game. Two years ago we went to Atlantis IIRC and looked like absolute garbage. I haven't felt that way this year yet, except when we have our Pemsl, Kriener, JoeT, Connor, Evelyn lineup. I mean good god there's no way those five should ever be on the floor together.

Actually, you could sugar coat it quite a bit. Not the actual result of the game, but the reason they lost and reasons to not take too much from it. It was game 2 of the season and their first against a competitive team. It was the first time the bullets flew that they were without last years departures. Roles weren't established. Garza playing like a beast wasn't established. We were still starting Nunge. It was Jordan's second game back from surgery.

There's definitely ways to sugar coat it....but the biggest reason why we can and should is because thankfully, we haven't seen another performance that inept since.
Wieskamp had a hurt elbow as well that he suffered an injury in game 1.

DePaul had already played 3 games to Iowa’s 1.

Hehe DePaul was deja vu to Seton Hall two years ago, I felt like there were a lot of other factors that affected us this year though. Kind of crescendo of negativity leading up to that game. Two years ago we went to Atlantis IIRC and looked like absolute garbage. I haven't felt that way this year yet, except when we have our Pemsl, Kriener, JoeT, Connor, Evelyn lineup. I mean good god there's no way those five should ever be on the floor together.
I was screaming at the TV the other night when Fran had that lineup out there. Even Hummel instantly knew there were no scoring options. Minnesota made a run to get right back in the game.

I was screaming at the TV the other night when Fran had that lineup out there. Even Hummel instantly knew there were no scoring options. Minnesota made a run to get right back in the game.
I think Fran is just trying to stick it to us fans at times. Trying to get us all riled up so we feel like he does after a few bad calls :)

I think you're referring to the Grand Cayman classic, when we indeed looked like garbage.

We did well in the Battle for Atlantis. We played Villanova for the tournament championship and gave them a good challenge. It mignt have been one of the years they eventually became national champs as well.

Wieskamp had a hurt elbow as well that he suffered an injury in game 1.

DePaul had already played 3 games to Iowa’s 1.

We had quite a few things going against us in that one. Plus DePaul shot out of their minds. I'd love to play them again.

I think you're referring to the Grand Cayman classic, when we indeed looked like garbage.

We did well in the Battle for Atlantis. We played Villanova for the tournament championship and gave them a good challenge. It mignt have been one of the years they eventually became national champs as well.
Ah, yes

Latest posts