The hawks are surprising me

uihawk82

Some good non conf wins, a couple of head scratching losses like giving up 100. But after the loss to Depaul and some early games I thought they would be .500 at best right now. Keep me surprised hawks

They gave up 100 and obviously their strategy in Chrysler didn’t work, but they played the Wolverines within a couple possessions all night and fought until the very end. That was the #4 team in the country who has as good of resume as anyone so far. This hasn’t always been the case with Fran’s teams. They didn’t cave. They could have let Michigan bury them, they didn’t. They got a toughness. They can defend so much better this year, and with 3 guys on the perimeter who can light it up, they’re gonna be in a lot of games with their current make up. Keep it up.

Some good non conf wins, a couple of head scratching losses like giving up 100. But after the loss to Depaul and some early games I thought they would be .500 at best right now. Keep me surprised hawks
They gave up 100 and obviously their strategy in Chrysler didn’t work, but they played the Wolverines within a couple possessions all night and fought until the very end. That was the #4 team in the country who has as good of resume as anyone so far. This hasn’t always been the case with Fran’s teams. They didn’t cave. They could have let Michigan bury them, they didn’t. They got a toughness. They can defend so much better this year, and with 3 guys on the perimeter who can light it up, they’re gonna be in a lot of games with their current make up. Keep it up.
I’m starting to think that Michigan game was just bad timing. That was a brutal travel stretch for these guys and CJF was clearly hurting in that game. Tonight he looked to have his legs back and his defense is solid.

I really think going to the small ball has really changed the outlook of this team. I feel bad for Nunge but it could just be one of those things.

We can rotate so much smoother on defense. Sure we might give up the occasional mismatch inside or offensive rebound, but I’d rather have that than wide open threes and layups. On offense having multiple ball handlers and passers is awesome. CJF is better than Moss at ball handling and passing, and it’s not close, so that’s added another element.

I’m starting to think that Michigan game was just bad timing. That was a brutal travel stretch for these guys and CJF was clearly hurting in that game. Tonight he looked to have his legs back and his defense is solid.

It was a bit of bad timing for sure. It was also some bad defense for sure. But it was also a good offensive team clicking and burying big shot after big shot. It's not like Minnesota didn't get good looks tonight. As much as it seems like it always happens to Iowa, teams don't have to make every open shot they shoot.

It was a bit of bad timing for sure. It was also some bad defense for sure. But it was also a good offensive team clicking and burying big shot after big shot. It's not like Minnesota didn't get good looks tonight. As much as it seems like it always happens to Iowa, teams don't have to make every open shot they shoot.
Agreed. I said in the game thread the defense was only OKAY tonight, but okay is typically good enough for Iowa. Minny missed everything but I do think we would have outscored them had they hit some more shots. We slowed it down last 5 minutes.

Agreed. I said in the game thread the defense was only OKAY tonight, but okay is typically good enough for Iowa. Minny missed everything but I do think we would have outscored them had they hit some more shots. We slowed it down last 5 minutes.

Yea the defense was probably only ok. Possibly a step above ok. I think that exact defense every night gets us around 20 wins. It still needs to get a tad bit better.

Can we do a CJ Fredrick shout-out. He’s not like Moss where if he’s not getting his shots or he’s not hitting he disappears. He just plays hard on defense and on offense he moves well without the ball. Also he finished pretty well around the rim. I’m hoping throughout the course of the season he gets more shots but man I like this kid.

Minnesota 4-5

JT needs to learn to play under control. I know he is just a freshmen and he will or at least I hope he does. He is explosive but the all American JC guard we recruited was also very quick but he never mastered self-control and it did him in.

Don’t get me wrong any B1G win is big. We played pretty good tonight and I am happy for the win. Lol, the Minnesota fans are thinking tonight “man we suck.”

Last edited:
Can we do a CJ Fredrick shout-out. He’s not like Moss where if he’s not getting his shots or he’s not hitting he disappears. He just plays hard on defense and on offense he moves well without the ball. Also he finished pretty well around the rim. I’m hoping throughout the course of the season he gets more shots but man I like this kid.

He looks so smooth with the ball in his hands. At one point he had a 50/50 ball where he got to the ball and had to control it by dribbling right away with a guy all over him. I thought for a split second he might be in trouble but he handled it easy as can be with no panic at all. The play itself wasn't that big of a deal. I just noticed how easy he made a fairly difficult play look.

They're fun to watch and that's about all I asked for this year after the injuries, transfers and early departures. Hang around the bubble and we'll see where it shakes out.

I'm not sure there's been a Fran team that has had better all around shooters/scorers. Add in some flare and hustle from toussaint, and some unsung hero stuff from Connor and they're just a fun team overall.

One thing for sure is Kriener, Pemsl and Evelyn need to figure their shit out fast. Right now Iowa has 6 players who belong on the court and that might dwindle to 5 if bohannon shuts it down.

We all know what a pain in our azz they have been for us regardless of where the game is played.

We have played ISU just fine at home lately. I just don't even remember the last time Iowa beat ISU in Ames though.

Last edited:
We have played ISU just fine at home lately. I just don't even remember the last time Iowa beat ISU in Ames though.
We had them on the ropes two years ago there. Mike G and company choked away a game there as well. Let’s hope we can get over the hump this year, I’m not counting on it, but that would be a really nice win.

We had them on the ropes two years ago there. Mike G and company choked away a game there as well. Let’s hope we can get over the hump this year, I’m not counting on it, but that would be a really nice win.
Mike G and co choked away 2 games in a row there. That's where he missed the free throws late, which in my opinion completely changed the course of his career. Either that or it was just a preview of what was always coming.

With Cook and Moss gone...there is a vacuum where new leaders can blossom, where team play is the priority, and where there are now more shots available. Garza is blooming, for the team, with WHAT? post moves!!!, pump fakes!!!. CJ Frederick is a Moss upgrade, more of a team player, more consistent, willing to play team ball. Add Toussiant and you have a new recipe, a better recipe, that perhaps will surprise. Every team is different, hopefully they will blossom together and get stronger as the dance invites approach.

I kind of don't hold the Depaul game against them anymore. 2nd game of the year. Playing with a bunch of new pieces and a bunch of upperclassmen that logged a lot of minutes gone - against a vet team - they got a rude awakening. I bet that game would look much different now.

Latest posts