The Gator chomp thing

Its an imitation of "alligator arms." It should only be done after certain types of incomplete passes that commonly occur on 3rd downs. But, nobody understands what it means, so they do it after any 3rd down stop.
Were you a cheerleader or something? Thanks for the insight.

The Gator chomp was invented at the UofI in the 70's???
ROTFL110x85.gif

the word "invented" was never used. My posted referred to a student here in the 70s who said Iowa started doing it then, not that we invented then. I've heard pro teams did it prior that.

I'll be honest, I don't think anyone knows what it means anymore. Scholars maintain that the translation was lost hundreds of years ago.

the word "invented" was never used. My posted referred to a student here in the 70s who said Iowa started doing it then, not that we invented then. I've heard pro teams did it prior that.

I'll be honest, I don't think anyone knows what it means anymore. Scholars maintain that the translation was lost hundreds of years ago.

Oh, ok. That I can accept. But I still hate it.

Last edited:
Cheerleader? No. I just remember watching a growing number of morons in the stands trying to imitate true football fans cheering on their teams, but doing it wrong. Now any young fan, moron or not, has to wonder what the hell is going on.

Latest posts