The Gator chomp thing

franstheman

Why do we do that on 4th down? I've heard it's supposed to imitate a hawk beak and i've heard it was started in the 80's and is supposed to be like Pac-Man. Just wondering if anyone was around when we started doing that and really knows why?

Something about the ineligible man downfield penalty on punt plays in NFL compared to college rules.

Last edited:
It's just a generic cheer used all over the place. High school cheerleaders use it regardless of team nickname.

We're copying the gators. My understanding is Florida started it and now everyone does it. You do it when your team keeps the other team from converting on a third down.

Guys? Do I have that right?

I would rather copy the Gators then celebrate a first down.

That's another Cyclooooooooone....................................

Would you rather have the FSU chop? ^ that
what_the_hell_do_you_think_youre_doing_card-p137128774042491565envwi_400.jpg

We're copying the gators. My understanding is Florida started it and now everyone does it. You do it when your team keeps the other team from converting on a third down.

Guys? Do I have that right?

this question had a good thread on Scout site a couple years back. A good poster seemed to have the story right. It had nothing to do with Florida Gators it was said. I recall maybe him saying he was a student at UofI in the 70s when it first began, Hawk beak or something. I don't remember if he said it started with Darth Vader's Imperial March theme or not though.

The Gator Chomp originated in 1981 btw.

Last edited:
I thought it started when Roth did the Gator Chomp after burying Chris Leak in whatever bowl that was. However, I was ripped a new one by someone on here and told I was completely wrong, and that it started a long time ago and was supposed to resemble a Hawks beak. Who knows for sure...

this question had a good thread on Scout site a couple years back. A good poster seemed to have the story right. It had nothing to do with Florida Gators it was said. I recall maybe him saying he was a student at UofI in the 70s when it first began, Hawk beak or something. I don't remember if he said it started with Darth Vader's Imperial March theme or not though.

The Gator Chomp originated in 1981 btw.

^This is the correct answer.^

The chomp started here not with the Gators.

And WTF ChickenLounge?! Matt Roth? Are kidding me?

Its an imitation of "alligator arms." It should only be done after certain types of incomplete passes that commonly occur on 3rd downs. But, nobody understands what it means, so they do it after any 3rd down stop.

Latest posts