The Ed Hightower hatred on this site.

Thawki

I found it quite interesting how so many people on this site expressed real enmity at Ed Hightower on the EH retirement thread and just on any thread that ever appears on this site. The interesting thing was that the players and coaches that were quoted in the story all respect him as an official while almost everyone that ever comments on him doesn't.

He seems, when he officiates, to be trying to pull attention to himself. My brother officiates in football at the D1 level and he rarely has a bad thing to say about officials. But he moans about Hightower because he seems to make a big deal about drawing attention to himself when he officiates. I get that.

But it is obvious, based upon Final Fours and coaches' and players' comments that they all respect AND LIKE Ed Hightower. Yet there are some on here that can't fathom that he is a very good official, let alone might be a nice and down to earth person off the court (and maybe on the court, too).

I just find that interesting. And I am sure I will hear from that one guy, claiming Ed is my son, or something stupid like that. I personally found that article pretty interesting, because other than him being a superintendent, I didn't know much else about him.

When coaches and players are interviewed and their names are not kept anonymous, do you really think they are going to say something bad about a guy who is retiring?

I have never like Hightower and as I posted before, it is bad when you know who is going to get calls in a game before it is ever played and he is an official. It is worse when it is NCAA tournament games that it impacts the most. Arizona/Mizzou and Memphis/Kansas are two games that stick out to me the most and it wasn't a surprise that the B12 team won both.

When coaches and players are interviewed and their names are not kept anonymous, do you really think they are going to say something bad about a guy who is retiring?

I have never like Hightower and as I posted before, it is bad when you know who is going to get calls in a game before it is ever played and he is an official. It is worse when it is NCAA tournament games that it impacts the most. Arizona/Mizzou and Memphis/Kansas are two games that stick out to me the most and it wasn't a surprise that the B12 team won both.

And why in the world would Ed care if BIg 12 teams won??

Cracks me up when people think refs care who wins.

It's a job and they get paid the same no matter who wins.

Fans don't like officials.

I take that back. I always liked that guy who looks like Norm Parker, but only because he looks like Norm Parker...

:)

Fans don't like officials.

I take that back. I always liked that guy who looks like Norm Parker, but only because he looks like Norm Parker...

:)

Jim Burr, he's much worse of an official than Ed.

I'll never forget the time he administered a throw in while the other two officials were at the table reviewing a previous play.

Might have been last year, but I know it was an Iowa game.

Plus he was one of the officials suspended a few years back after a big east tourney game.

But yes he does look a lot like Norm.

And why in the world would Ed care if BIg 12 teams won??

Cracks me up when people think refs care who wins.

It's a job and they get paid the same no matter who wins.

The point is he is most familiar with those teams as he did a lot of their games during the season. Thus, the style of game favored those teams and directly benefited from it. Do that make sense to you?

When looking at games, the biggest question shouldn't be: "How will the game be called?"

Last edited:
The point is he is most familiar with those teams as he did a lot of their games during the season. Thus, the style of game favored those teams and directly benefited from it. Do that make sense to you?

When looking at games, the biggest question shouldn't be: "How will the game be called?"

I think I'll just let it go.

Based off your feelings toward McCabe, craft, and now Ed, I'm afraid if I get on your bad side there's no getting off.

Jim Burr, he's much worse of an official than Ed.

I'll never forget the time he administered a throw in while the other two officials were at the table reviewing a previous play.

Might have been last year, but I know it was an Iowa game.

Plus he was one of the officials suspended a few years back after a big east tourney game.

But yes he does look a lot like Norm.

We liken Jim Burr's looks to Ted Kennedy and yes, he is far worse than Ed or Ted Valentine for that matter.

Hightower is a great official. He really is. Problem is that he did an obscene amount of games and always liked to go over the top with his calls.

I've thought for a long time that Hightower is/was a good official when it comes to getting the calls right, even if he liked to showboat while doing it. That's a lot better than Burr or Valentine, who both routinely make horrible calls and Ted makes a show of himself while doing it.

I could absolutely live with a few more years of Hightower, who also seems like a really nice guy. But Burr and Valentine just make me sick.

In retrospect, Eddie was hated by every team in the Big Team, making unpopular calls against the visiting team and the home team. There was a time years ago that I thought he somewhat favored the Hawks giving us questionable calls on occasion, years ago that is.....

Nonetheless he is a Legend.....

:rolleyes:

It's all about The Look, Shane.....

As you know.....

Roxette - The Look - YouTube

:cool:
Ahhh...the 80s!

Roxette: So...what do we want to do with this video that'll really sell what the song is trying to convey?

Director: I GOT IT! It's an apartment that looks like it's just been thrown together in a studio, but WAIT! It has a bed that lights up, a chick ironing and a girl dancing in a fake window... but THEN some random chick in a red dress comes in and puts a guy on his back on the bed! MEANWHILE there's what appears to be fake lightning every once in a while!?!?

-awkward silence-

Roxette: BRILLIANT!

Latest posts