The D

Look, I am all on board w/Garza, what he has done and will do is beyond special. But I also do not think that his moving on will be such a dramatic step back. He did not have the greatest game at jMSU and Nunge picked up the slack rather nicely. I am more worried that Wieskamp will opt for the draft and leave us with another hole to fill. Anyway, back to the topic of how deep a run- depends on how we finish and what sort of seed we end up with. Been our luck to end up in the same region as a Gonzaga or Baylor generally. Though I think a rematch with Gonzaga is a better option than Baylor from what I have seen.

Look, I am all on board w/Garza, what he has done and will do is beyond special. But I also do not think that his moving on will be such a dramatic step back. He did not have the greatest game at jMSU and Nunge picked up the slack rather nicely. I am more worried that Wieskamp will opt for the draft and leave us with another hole to fill. Anyway, back to the topic of how deep a run- depends on how we finish and what sort of seed we end up with. Been our luck to end up in the same region as a Gonzaga or Baylor generally. Though I think a rematch with Gonzaga is a better option than Baylor from what I have seen.
Agree with a lot of this, but at the same time how many times has Garza played out of his ass to pick up the slack for other teammates under performing? I see Joe coming back next year, but my concern is with Garza gone who picks up the slack for everyone else on a consistent basis?

At this point, everyone should stop beating a dead horse over the defense. It's been this way since Fran came to Iowa. Defense sucks and always will with him coaching. Our best and only chance is feeding Garza the ball until he scores 35 points in round 1 and 2 of the tourney and then hoping we can get hot in the sweet 16 from behind 3 and race the other team to 90 points.

A high scoring shootout is the only way. One could say we should even play lackluster defense to save our energy for the offensive side (joking) but wow am I sick of hearing about how poorly the defense plays. At least we have an offensive team that gives us a chance.

The only reason this team is anywhere remotely close to where it is is because of Luka Garza. Remove him from the equation and our defense is way worse than 108th in the country (KenPom) and this team is probably not even making the tournament. This isn't really building anything, it's a matter of Fran winning the lottery and getting struck by lighting twice on the same day when he signed Garza.

As mentioned before, Iowa has a consistent ceiling of 60-80th in the nation in recruiting, and that's what determines success for the most part. Hate to tell you but this here season is our one chance to make a splash and then it's back to reality. We have one player coming back next year who has double digit PPG, and he's sitting at 10 fewer points than Garza.

Our starters next year have scored as following...

Wieskamp - 15.4
Connor - 4.0
CJ - 8.2
Murray - 7.0
Nunge - 7.8
Total: - 42.4

Now obviously These guys will have more scoring available to them without Garza, but someone needs to explain to me how you're going to make up that kind of margin? Even if Weezy goes out of his mind next year and adds 5 points to his PPG and everyone else adds a point you still wouldn't be there, and fat fuckin chance of that happening when Luka isn't out there drawing double teams and inhaling rebounds like a madman.

Let's not kid ourselves, folks...This thing is built on one guy and without him I don't care how many Keegan Murrays you have, we are back to slightly below 20 win seasons again next year...especially in this meat grinder conference and reverting back to 150th or so in defensive efficiency. The Big Ten is a cold heartless bastard who doesn't give a F about our hopes and dreams.

Unless Fran somehow pulls a Marble/White duo out of his ass or a team with 4 double digit scorers on it this is our Alamo.

Ah, the old "Glass Half Full" guy shows his colors again.

Shit happens. People graduate. Things change.

I think Nunge and Murray will be able to take up the slack. Wiesy will be a year older and more determined to make an impression on the NBA scouts.

Hopefully, Fredrick will stay healthy, Ulis and Perkins mature, and JT finds control and a mid range jump shot.

Without Garza we lose points. We also gain quickness and better defense. We will be fine. Not Gonzaga fine, but the Hawks will be in the thick of the B1G race and will make the tourney a year from now.

The only reason this team is anywhere remotely close to where it is is because of Luka Garza. Remove him from the equation and our defense is way worse than 108th in the country (KenPom) and this team is probably not even making the tournament. This isn't really building anything, it's a matter of Fran winning the lottery and getting struck by lighting twice on the same day when he signed Garza.

As mentioned before, Iowa has a consistent ceiling of 60-80th in the nation in recruiting, and that's what determines success for the most part. Hate to tell you but this here season is our one chance to make a splash and then it's back to reality. We have one player coming back next year who has double digit PPG, and he's sitting at 10 fewer points than Garza.

Wieskamp - 15.4
Connor - 4.0
CJ - 8.2
Murray - 7.0
Nunge - 7.8

Now obviously These guys will have more scoring available to them without Garza, but someone needs to explain to me how you're going to make up that kind of margin? Even if Weezy goes out of his mind next year and adds 5 points to his PPG and everyone else adds a point you still wouldn't be there, and fat fuckin chance of that happening when Luka isn't out there drawing double teams and inhaling rebounds like a madman.

Let's not kid ourselves, folks...This thing is built on one guy and without him I don't care how many Keegan Murrays you have, we are back to slightly below 20 win seasons again next year...especially in this meat grinder conference and reverting back to 150th or so in defensive efficiency. The Big Ten is a cold heartless bastard who doesn't give a F about our hopes and dreams.

Unless Fran somehow pulls a Marble/White duo out of his ass or a team with 4 double digit scorers on it this is our Alamo.
I literally couldn't disagree with a take more on this website ever in it's existence. I think if and that's a big if, Joe comes back next season, Iowa is pretty much a lock for the NCAA's in 2022. I think this would be an NCAA team without Garza this season. Obviously not as good, but there is enough talent on this team to dance even with out Luka.

Garza and Jordan do not make us better at D. Them on the floor at the same time is pretty much problem 1, 2, 3, and 4 right now for Iowa. They are great offensive players, but Iowa immediately becomes an overall better D team next season just when those 2 depart. CJ Frederick is a good guard. Nunge is going to be a good player. Murray is going to be a good player. Patrick looks like he's going to be a good player. I don't know about you, but it seems that Fran pulls a Marble/White kind of guy out of his ass every season and has proven over and over that he can turn unheralded guys into all conference type players.

I disagree so much that this is as good as it gets for Iowa and Fran McCaffery. I actually feel fine when Luka sits and we roll with Nunge, Pat and Keagan. Way more diverse front court.

I literally couldn't disagree with a take more on this website ever in it's existence. I think if and that's a big if, Joe comes back next season, Iowa is pretty much a lock for the NCAA's in 2022. I think this would be an NCAA team without Garza this season. Obviously not as good, but there is enough talent on this team to dance even with out Luka.

Garza and Jordan do not make us better at D. Them on the floor at the same time is pretty much problem 1, 2, 3, and 4 right now for Iowa. They are great offensive players, but Iowa immediately becomes an overall better D team next season just when those 2 depart. CJ Frederick is a good guard. Nunge is going to be a good player. Murray is going to be a good player. Patrick looks like he's going to be a good player. I don't know about you, but it seems that Fran pulls a Marble/White kind of guy out of his ass every season and has proven over and over that he can turn unheralded guys into all conference type players.

I disagree so much that this is as good as it gets for Iowa and Fran McCaffery. I actually feel fine when Luka sits and we roll with Nunge, Pat and Keagan. Way more diverse front court.
I’m in no way saying Iowa doesn’t make the tournament next year. Not at all.

But in regard to Iowa basketball, this is the absolute top of our mountain with Garza being a part of the team. If a big run is going to happen it has to be this year.

I’m just saying, calling Luka a stroke of luck and saying it’s never coming back anytime soon or it’s never gonna be this good again isn’t taking into account all the All B1G performers Fran built before Luka. That’s a trend not a whim

I’m in no way saying Iowa doesn’t make the tournament next year. Not at all.

But in regard to Iowa basketball, this is the absolute top of our mountain with Garza being a part of the team. If a big run is going to happen it has to be this year.
Well that I agree with. This is Iowa’s best shot in a long while and they need to do something this year with that opportunity. I don’t think this is as good as it gets

Wieskamp - 15.4
Connor - 4.0
CJ - 8.2
Murray - 7.0
Nunge - 7.8

Nunge is poised to make a huge leap forward if he strengthens his hands and gets more consistent.

He outplayed Luka by a wide margin last Saturday and had another great game against Illinois. But he still has too many games like the recent Indiana loss where we win if he shows up

I think @ChosenChildren just meant, even if they only win 1, they're still sitting ok and to that I do agree. I think we'd all be disappointed with that though. Iowa is good, we all know that. Iowa is going to the NCAA tournament, we all know that. Now, we just get to sit back and see just how good they are. I would like them to get a top 4 seed in the B1G, see where that leads and a top 3 seed in the NCAA
Great win. This team is rolling

At this point, everyone should stop beating a dead horse over the defense. It's been this way since Fran came to Iowa. Defense sucks and always will with him coaching. Our best and only chance is feeding Garza the ball until he scores 35 points in round 1 and 2 of the tourney and then hoping we can get hot in the sweet 16 from behind 3 and race the other team to 90 points.

A high scoring shootout is the only way. One could say we should even play lackluster defense to save our energy for the offensive side (joking) but wow am I sick of hearing about how poorly the defense plays. At least we have an offensive team that gives us a chance.
Just worry if Hawks slip in the Sweet 16 thats gonna be all she wrote because other teams at that level will be tougher.

Wieskamp - 15.4
Connor - 4.0
CJ - 8.2
Murray - 7.0
Nunge - 7.8

We are where we are because of Luka...the National POY...I agree. Saying our defense would be worse without him is just your opinion.

Suggesting Fran got lucky getting Garza is nonsense. Fran’s biggest strength is evaluating talent IMO. We’ve had numerous 1st Team All B10 players under Fran. And now we have a 2 time 1st Team AA.

There’s a lot of talent on this roster. It remains to be seen how good they will be going forward.

I will concede this. You win the most F-bombs contest.

My worry is a Northwestern state repeat...and that goes with our defense. If we let a bad team hang around they might hit a late 3 to beat us, and its heartbreak sandwiches for the month of March. I was texting my basketball friends tonight during the game, i feel like a 12 point lead can evaporate because of our defense and our scoring droughts.

I don't want us to be the embarrassment of the Tournament. its a low bar but all i want us to do is to play to our potential. Not gonna lie, I'm gonna be a nervous wreak during that first round game regardless of our seed.

To put a positive spin on it, its good to be relevant again, we have Fran to thank for that. He brought this program back from Little Lick getting windmill dunked on by Evan Turner (the low point in Iowa basketball for me personally).
For the foreseeable future I think we are a tournament team or will be a bubble team.

Latest posts