The D

HawksMN

Outsider looking in....haven't seen much Hawk action on TV this year but caught the Sparty game. Offense aside...thought the D is pretty shaky. Seems lazy to me. Too much el matador on drives. Easily screened off on the perimeter? Pretty par day?

Outsider looking in....haven't seen much Hawk action on TV this year but caught the Sparty game. Offense aside...thought the D is pretty shaky. Seems lazy to me. Too much el matador on drives. Easily screened off on the perimeter? Pretty par day?
Actually, the D has improved the last 3 games= more man 2 man, less 2-3 zone. It's good!

LOL, Iowa won by 30, on the road in East Lansing. Iowa held MSU to 58 points. How in the world did you parse that stuff from THAT game? I mean, I would get it if you watched the other 20 games, but something about this whole message stinks.

That was the worst MSU team in the entire Izzo era against the best Iowa team in the same time frame lol.

And you're gauging the Hawkeye's performance off of that?
Stop making excuses for us winning a road game,or any other for that matter. We have recruited better players than MSU, for example. So now it’s time to imply that the victory was meaningless? We expect Iowa to win games when they are favored, then raise holy hell when we lose one (Indiana). But when we blow out a team by the biggest score in history on their home court, it gets downplayed. Not in my book.

LOL, Iowa won by 30, on the road in East Lansing. Iowa held MSU to 58 points. How in the world did you parse that stuff from THAT game? I mean, I would get it if you watched the other 20 games, but something about this whole message stinks.

Agreed. I've been tough on our defense all year, but that was far from a game I'd use to nitpick about it.

Stop making excuses for us winning a road game,or any other for that matter. We have recruited better players than MSU, for example. So now it’s time to imply that the victory was meaningless? We expect Iowa to win games when they are favored, then raise holy hell when we lose one (Indiana). But when we blow out a team by the biggest score in history on their home court, it gets downplayed. Not in my book.
Didn’t mean that at all. OP said he hadn’t watched a Hawks game yet and he was using that one to evaluate Iowa’s D. Which is ridiculous.

Our defensive ranking has skyrocketed the last couple weeks into the realm of average!

With two games left against boring ass Wisconsin, we have a chance to finish with a respectable defensive rating for a Fran team.

We don't need to be a great defensive team to win with our offense. Just a good defense will do.

Agreed. I've been tough on our defense all year, but that was far from a game I'd use to nitpick about it.
Iowa beat a ranked team (Rutgers) and captured a rare road win at MSU. Two great wins.

4 of our next 5 will be against highly ranked teams, with 3 on the road. Even one win out of those 4 would be very good.

this team is going to get earn between a 3 and 6 seed in the NCAA tournament, and their performance in that tournament will be the final perception of this team.

Iowa beat a ranked team (Rutgers) and captured a rare road win at MSU. Two great wins.

4 of our next 5 will be against highly ranked teams, with 3 on the road. Even one win out of those 4 would be very good.

this team is going to get earn between a 3 and 6 seed in the NCAA tournament, and their performance in that tournament will be the final perception of this team.
Winning 1 out of those 4 will be a disappointment for me. We should win the 3 home games. And we need to get at least 1 on the road.

I agree with Windsor, win only one of those games will be a disappointment. We can play with @ Mich and @ OSU, should win home games vs Wisky, @ wisky, Penn St. If i were to bet on it, i say we split MIch/OSU, Split with Wisky, and beat Penn St and Neb if we make that game up. Finish 13-7. Hopefully that is good enough for top 4.

I agree with Windsor, win only one of those games will be a disappointment. We can play with @ Mich and @ OSU, should win home games vs Wisky, @ wisky, Penn St. If i were to bet on it, i say we split MIch/OSU, Split with Wisky, and beat Penn St and Neb if we make that game up. Finish 13-7. Hopefully that is good enough for top 4.
I really, really want to beat Mich in Ann Arbor!!

I think @ChosenChildren just meant, even if they only win 1, they're still sitting ok and to that I do agree. I think we'd all be disappointed with that though. Iowa is good, we all know that. Iowa is going to the NCAA tournament, we all know that. Now, we just get to sit back and see just how good they are. I would like them to get a top 4 seed in the B1G, see where that leads and a top 3 seed in the NCAA

I think @ChosenChildren just meant, even if they only win 1, they're still sitting ok and to that I do agree. I think we'd all be disappointed with that though. Iowa is good, we all know that. Iowa is going to the NCAA tournament, we all know that. Now, we just get to sit back and see just how good they are. I would like them to get a top 4 seed in the B1G, see where that leads and a top 3 seed in the NCAA
There’s no shame in losing conference games to anyone other than the bottom 3 or 4...especially down a starter. But losing 4 out of 5 was still depressing. And I’ll be bummed going 3-3 in the last 6.

There’s no shame in losing conference games to anyone other than the bottom 3 or 4...especially down a starter. But losing 4 out of 5 was still depressing. And I’ll be bummed going 3-3 in the last 6.

I'm playing devil's advocate here, but does that also mean that there would be no shame if this same team gets bounced early from the tournament? I definitely see your point, but I think it's all based on expectations. I guess I just don't see how this team can be viewed at making a deep run, but then get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to losing conference games due to how good the conference is.

I'm not taking any shots at you or anyone else, because I truly don't know where I stand. I guess my view is that I see this team as good but not great (possibly capable of being great), but after we lost 4 of 5 I think I strayed from believing deep down that this is a final 4 or elite 8 level team. I'm just see it being somewhat contradicting to say this team is good enough to make a deep run, but then validate losses to middle of the conference teams. And honestly this is based completely in thought/conversation and not meant to be negative by any means or to take a shot at your post.

I'm playing devil's advocate here, but does that also mean that there would be no shame if this same team gets bounced early from the tournament? I definitely see your point, but I think it's all based on expectations. I guess I just don't see how this team can be viewed at making a deep run, but then get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to losing conference games due to how good the conference is.

I'm not taking any shots at you or anyone else, because I truly don't know where I stand. I guess my view is that I see this team as good but not great (possibly capable of being great), but after we lost 4 of 5 I think I strayed from believing deep down that this is a final 4 or elite 8 level team. I'm just see it being somewhat contradicting to say this team is good enough to make a deep run, but then validate losses to middle of the conference teams. And honestly this is based completely in thought/conversation and not meant to be negative by any means or to take a shot at your post.
I know what you’re saying and will give my point of view. It would be shameful to lose our opening NCAA game...based on our talent, probable seed and non conference opponent.

It would be very disappointing to lose to anyone in our 2nd game with only a day to prep. No team can prep for Garza and our outside shooting in a day. And we have enough depth to swap guys out if tired, struggling, etc.

I hope we make a deep NCAA run. But there’s no shame in losing a Sweet 16 game. The opponent was good enough to win 2 games and had 5 days to prep. It also puts us in the 9 to 16 range nationally...at worst. Just my opinion...

I think those are valid points. I don't really view them as a final 4 contender any longer. Not with the way they play defense. It's possible, with the right path and if the team gets hot, but I honestly, I see a quicker bounce from the tournament being the more likely scenario. For me, make the Sweet 16 - that would be a success in my eyes just because it's been 22 years. Get there, everything else is gravy. Miss it with this team, this year? It will be a major let down and fall well short of my expectations for this team.

I think those are valid points. I don't really view them as a final 4 contender any longer. Not with the way they play defense. It's possible, with the right path and if the team gets hot, but I honestly, I see a quicker bounce from the tournament being the more likely scenario. For me, make the Sweet 16 - that would be a success in my eyes just because it's been 22 years. Get there, everything else is gravy. Miss it with this team, this year? It will be a major let down and fall well short of my expectations for this team.
There’s always a team or teams that get hot. It could be us. And we can outscore anyone if we’re on a roll.

Also several talking heads...BT, national, Bilas, etc. have said repeatedly No One wants to draw Iowa on a quick turnaround. So beat a Cinderella in the Sweet 16 and a contender on short turnaround and we’re in the FF4. Or get the draw Michigan got all the way to the finals...after making a miracle 30+ foot 3 to beat Houston I believe.

Latest posts