The curious case of winning the toss and going on offense first

HaydenHawk56

To only go three and out and rely on a good punt (which thankfully we have a decent punter. Why not put the better unit on the field first (defense) and at least give our offense a chance to go three and out (or better) from around our 35/45 or so if our defense gets a 3 and out on the opposing offense?

Heck, our defense has a better chance of scoring first compared to our offense.

Why take an aggressive approach taking the ball when you really plan to be as tight as a rock at the poker table....and with an offensive line that could not block centenarians at a random Iowa City nursing home ?

Last edited:
Always defer when winning the toss. Always.

I just don’t understand why Kirk continues to put our crap offense out there to start the game.

Thought the same thing as well, play the best unit first if given the choice. Especially if it's about field position. Set the defense up with good field position and let them set the tempo. Has the offense given anyone any confidence this year?

Always defer when winning the toss. Always.

I just don’t understand why Kirk continues to put our crap offense out there to start the game.

Almost always is right , no shit and if you can score last toward the end of the first half, get the second half kickoff and score again, then that can be huge.

To only go three and out and rely on a good punt (which thankfully we have a decent punter. Why not put the better unit on the field first (defense) and at least give our offense a chance to go three and out (or better) from around our 35/45 or so if our defense gets a 3 and out on the opposing offense?

Heck, our defense has a better chance of scoring first compared to our offense.

Why take an aggressive approach taking the ball when you really plan to be as tight as a rock at the poker table....and with an offensive line that could not block centenarians at a random Iowa City nursing home ?
I agree. Why not defer and expect a good D to give us good Field position?

Latest posts