The Cubs' $18,875,000 Man

1977Hawkeye

Today's stat-line for Zambrano:

4 Hits
4 ER
1 Dugout Explosion
Yanked after 1 inning pitched

Money well spent, I'd say.

Oh, and the Cubs have 1 hit through 5 innings. I'm sure there's some guys in that lineup who are also looking like good investments this year.

Sorry, had to vent some frustration. At least it's Friday and there's beer in the fridge..

no way. when he finally loses it and just beats someone in the dugout with a bat, or starts hucking 100 mile an hour heaters into the stands, somebody's gonna get some pictures of that. they'll put it on a tee shirt and the cubs will make bank off the trademark rights.

you gotta think outside the box!

Haha, the Cubs are just pathetic this year.

Here is a look at some wise investments for the Cubs:

Soriano(19mil) .283 10 HR 35 RBI
Zambrano(18.875m) solid 3 wins and a nice 5.10 ERA
Ramirez(16.75m) .168 5 HR 22RBI
Fukudome(14m) .275 6 HR 24 RBI
Lee(13.25m) .233 10 HR 33 RBI

Those are some pretty solid stats for the money they are making.
It's great to be a Cubs fan

Wow, I am as big a cubs fan as you will find but this is getting tough to watch even for me! I am used to them being out of it around the all star break but this is getting ridiculous. UGH!!

I agree. although baseball has bored me the last few years a bit, even when the cubs were doing well. now I at least have a reason not to watch!

Z's math is interesting....

Salary of $18,875,000/year
Let's assume he gets 30 starts a year
Let's assume he goes 7 innings per start

That's $89,880 per INNING

And he can't man-up and act like one? Amazing.

I was a Zambrano fan from day 1, but his act is growing old these days. It was one thing when he was winning, but now he's pitching like a guy that needs to be released. An ERA north of 5.50 and 3 wins, for nearly $20 Million. Just 9 wins last year.

I remember when the rotation was Wood-Prior-Zambrano, and everyone thought that staff would be dominant for years. Not so much.

As a Sox fan, I can only say that it is never over,even for this Cubs team. They do play in the NL afterall. If they had a hot two weeks,like the Sox have had, they would be right back in it. BigZ is a special case,and I think he has dropped in velocity so he is just not as dominant anymore,but in the case of Lee,ARam,Soriano,ect...these guys will likely have some hot streaks and get back to their historic norms at some point. When that happens, they will have a winning streak. Just hope it starts next week,not today and tomorrow vs the Sox.
The do have good starting pitching,which wins in the end...so hang in ,Cubs fans.

Zambrano once said he thought this would be his last contract...guess hw was right. I say get him outa there, waive him. who cares where he lands.

Zambrano once said he thought this would be his last contract...guess hw was right. I say get him outa there, waive him. who cares where he lands.

so you would like to pay the $40 mil remaining on his contract while he pitches for someone else

I say make him throw 400 pitches a game. Refuse to take him out.

so you would like to pay the $40 mil remaining on his contract while he pitches for someone else

I say make him throw 400 pitches a game. Refuse to take him out.
Nope. That would be rewarding Big Z. I bet that is what he would want. It's all about him. He would want to bat cleanup too. This is a guy who needs to be somewhere else. It needs to be about the team. Get rid of him - we were able to get rid of Milton Bradley! :)

Nope. That would be rewarding Big Z. I bet that is what he would want. It's all about him. He would want to bat cleanup too. This is a guy who needs to be somewhere else. It needs to be about the team. Get rid of him - we were able to get rid of Milton Bradley! :)

Youre delirious if you think Z can be traded. The only reason Bradley was traded is because Silva had a contract worse than his. You find me a contract worse than Z's and then I will believe you. It doesnt exist

Its the same reason that the Cubs cant trade Soriano either

Youre delirious if you think Z can be traded. The only reason Bradley was traded is because Silva had a contract worse than his. You find me a contract worse than Z's and then I will believe you. It doesnt exist

Its the same reason that the Cubs cant trade Soriano either

Who says they have to trade him? They can always put him on waivers and see if anyone bites. The Red Sox did it with Manny several years ago, but nobody bit on that. Players get put on waivers all the time, but the majority of the time it's kept pretty quiet.

Zambrano has been the most coddled player on the team since Sosa, and the Cubs shipped Sammy's *** to Baltimore despite owing him money, and that was with penny-pinching McFail running the team.

It's not like it matters anyhow. Not for this team, and not for this year.

Latest posts