The conundrum -- and it's not on Kirk

And if it ends up Fiesta or Peach, we suck it up and enjoy that game, as well.

This has been an incredible season. Sad it's being cheapened by the trolls.
Wrong. It was an incredibly horrible end to an incredible season. The fact that we lost to the biggest dbags in the conference makes it worse.

This was one of the better games I've ever seen. The defense was on the field for an eternity and did the very best they could with what little they had left in the tank. You NEVER allow another team to score on you. Anyone who thinks we should've stepped aside and let State walk in is simply wrong. There is no blame for this one. They were the slightly better team who had some good breaks go their way. I personally couldn't be prouder of this team. An undefeated regular season peaking at #4 followed by a close championship loss and with a quality bowl still to come? If that doesn't match your definition of success then you're being a very lousy fan right now.

It amazes me at how some fans react...especially after what just took place...no, we're not going to "let" them score to give us more time on clock. We're you proposing to do so with 1, 2, 4 minutes, when? Yes our D was tired, but that's because our offense couldn't stay on the field, couldn't barely get a first down or cross the 50 the entire 2nd half, save for 1 play. Cj played great, but he is not Brady, or Farve (green bay let Broncos score that way in Super Bowl umpteen years ago- and it didn't work out for them).

We sure didn't muster anything with 27 seconds, would you really let them score to have 30 seconds more. Our D was our best commodity, especially last night..."you go with what brung ya".

You know, There were some very good qualities about "old" Kirk too, and that decision was one of them. These kids played their hearts out and came up a play or two short, too bad on us, but it wasn't to be. Msu was 1 sustained drive better than us last night. Doesn't mean it would be that way every time you played that game, but Iowa certainly still earned some national respect, even in defeat.

MSU did screw up, #66 moved on TD play while in the backfield. Refs missed it. It is not debatable if you watch the video replay. Screenshot here, look it up on Twitter
imagepng

MSU did screw up, #66 moved on TD play while in the backfield. Refs missed it. It is not debatable if you watch the video replay. Screenshot here, look it up on Twitter
imagepng

If that guy is on the LOS he gets flagged. It didn't look like he was motioning but that's what it was akin to. Lateral move most likely to not draw a flag in most cases.

Honestly once they got that 4th down at the 3 after we had expended our timeout I thought we should have let them score. Up to that point I think they had run something like 14 times for 57 yards or something like that and I swear almost all of them seemed like they were earned after first contact. We couldn't consistently stop Scott without him dragging us, they had converted 4 3rd downs and a fourth down, and our defense was absolutely gassed. I know KF said afterward he thought they could stop them down there...having watched that drive unfold I begged to differ. I feel like Ferentz wanted to leave his guys out there to execute to give them a chance to win the game; I thought that was the time to put the pride aside and be a football coach. I see and know why he did what he did...I just didn't necessarily agree with it.

You have to try and stop them.

I had a vision of 4th and goal, last play of the game, Sparty tries Burridge on a slant but King knocks it away.

You're wrong. It's on Kirk. The defense wasn't stopping anyone on that drive. Everyone in the building knew it. And Kirk's inability to manage the clock cost the team a shot at a once-in-a-lifetime chance.

Old Kirk lost this game. Period.

This. 10000x this.

It was stupid, *stupid* to not let them score with 1:54 left. We get the ball on a kick off return, then the offense could have gotten us into FB range. And, we wouldn't have wasted those timeouts.

The D got gassed in that awful 3rd quarter. A 22-play drive confirms that. To think we'd hold out Sparty from the 8, then the 5, then the 2....dumb.

This. 10000x this.

It was stupid, *stupid* to not let them score with 1:54 left. We get the ball on a kick off return, then the offense could have gotten us into FB range. And, we wouldn't have wasted those timeouts.

The D got gassed in that awful 3rd quarter. A 22-play drive confirms that. To think we'd hold out Sparty from the 8, then the 5, then the 2....dumb.

Yes, because the offense showed they could move the ball the whole game, they obviously could have moved it with ease at the end there.

Yes, because the offense showed they could move the ball the whole game, they obviously could have moved it with ease at the end there.

And we were going to do that with 20 seconds left? Get real.

It was obvious Iowa wasn't going to stop MSU during that last drive. We were gassed. Completely.

And no, Iowa moved the ball very well in the 1st half. We screwed up two TD chances. Go back and look at the replay.

Let the offense have some sort of chance for God's sake at the end of the game. 20 seconds is a joke. 1:54 isn't.

Latest posts