The conundrum -- and it's not on Kirk

Just Moronic to say this game was on Kirk. Come on! This was just a hard fought game period, no blames to go around. This defense doesn't have the mindset to let someone score and I'm glad they dont!

There is zero blame to be had tonight. Tough game. Bounce of the ball...off of a players back.

I really can't ask any more from the team, the effort, the gameplan.

It sucks bad. We were so close. But damnn thus team was special.

Love ya Hawks. Heal up and prep for the bowl, where ever it is.

MSU might have fumbled on any of those last 7 plays inside the 15 yard line so I dont think you let them score especially in college football.

Msu front 4 and run defense won this game and too bad canzeri got hurt because he was having a decent game up to that point.

There is zero blame to be had tonight. Tough game. Bounce of the ball...off of a players back.

I really can't ask any more from the team, the effort, the gameplan.

It sucks bad. We were so close. But damnn thus team was special.

Love ya Hawks. Heal up and prep for the bowl, where ever it is.

That, tonight, that game? That's why you watch college football. It sucks being on this side of victory, but there are games we have won that I have not enjoyed as much as that game. Nothing but respect for the way MSU won it. It was earned. Every yard, every down. It was a brawl and they landed the last punch. Damn, that was epic.

You're advocating putting the ball in the hands of an offense that couldn't cross the 50 in the second half save one long pass play. Doesn't seem like a better option.

Exactly. MSU had not scored a TD all game, and Iowa had done nothing in the 2nd half except 1 long TD pass. I don't blame Kirk at all for letting the defense try to secure the win.

Not often after a loss there isn't one bad call from the officials or one bad coaching decision to look back on. The only what if is if Kittle hangs on to the touchdown or that dbag corner doesn't grab Vandy. Other than that, great game, wrong ending. Please give us the Rose.

We did try...and Calhoun kept wrecking it every single time!

This was my biggest concern going into the game and I brought it up in a thread yesterday. Were we going to leave Myers on an island against their best defensive player? And we did almost 100% of the time it seemed. We seemingly didn't game plan for their best player nor make any substantial adjustments at halftime. ?? I recall one crackback block on Calhoun by Coble in the 2nd half where he absolutely leveled him but Calhoun really took it to Myers overall. A key to our offensive struggles IMO. I think CJ was blindsided like 3x by him. Strange that we never made the adjustment. I gotta believe KF's philosophy is our O lineman just need to man up and get the job done. Croston got beat a lot in his first start. Pitt? And Matt Millen pointed out he was surprised they weren't giving him help.

I also liked that we opened the game in the shotgun and with Wadley in the backfield. I would have liked to have seen more of that.

Regardless a real slugfest and credit to the Hawks for hanging tough and a real surprise of a season. Congratulations! Very proud of them all.

I think Kirk made the correct move. Goal line stands is kinda what Iowa is noted for. Usually we come out on the the good side but this time we didn't get the stop. Msu could of fumbled very easily and if on that last play they sure could of with their running back waving that ball around. Just wasn't our night. Very very proud our Hawks. One Gutsy Epic Performance! Can't wait for next season. Oh yeah one more thing. I will rewatch the game but I could of swore msu jumped early on that drive that wasn't called.

It wasn't the reason Iowa lost. But it's definitely impossible to see that and ever get "what if?" out of your head.

The tackling on that 22 play drive was ATROCIOUS. Maybe it was because the defense was so tired. If, as a coach, you see the effects of your spent defense (atrocious tackling/trying to strip the ball carrier instead of tackling or crumbling defensive front), don't you react in some way? Or do you hope MSU's offense shoots themselves in the foot? BTW, 1 pass play out of those 22. Maybe load the box some more?

Yes, I liken that to newkirk vs. oldkirk. That last defensive stand was oldkirk or oldPhil/Norm). On the heels. Hoping for a miracle. AND IT TOOK OVER 9 MINUTES OF GAME TIME. CJ watched it from the sidelines.

Great football? No great rugby.

Last edited:
The tackling on that 22 play drive was ATROCIOUS. Maybe it was because the defense was so tired. If, as a coach, you see the effects of your spent defense (atrocious tackling/trying to strip the ball carrier instead of tackling or crumbling defensive front), don't you react in some way? Or do you hope MSU's offense shoots themselves in the foot?

Yes, I liken that to newkirk vs. oldkirk. That last defensive stand was oldkirk or oldPhil/Norm). On the heels. Hoping for a miracle. AND IT TOOK OVER 9 MINUTES OF GAME TIME. CJ watched it from the sidelines.

I'll say this: you never "disappoint".

Tough loss but count me out on participating in the blame game. Thankful for all the entertainment this staff and players have provided this year.

Rose Bowl would be a very appropriate award for this team and its fans. It would help some of the healing.

The tackling on that 22 play drive was ATROCIOUS. Maybe it was because the defense was so tired. If, as a coach, you see the effects of your spent defense (atrocious tackling/trying to strip the ball carrier instead of tackling or crumbling defensive front), don't you react in some way? Or do you hope MSU's offense shoots themselves in the foot? BTW, 1 pass play out of those 22. Maybe load the box some more?

Great football? No great rugby.
Watch out. Telling the truth will get you labeled a "bad fan" around here.

Tough loss but count me out on participating in the blame game. Thankful for all the entertainment this staff and players have provided this year.

Rose Bowl would be a very appropriate award for this team and its fans. It would help some of the healing.

And if it ends up Fiesta or Peach, we suck it up and enjoy that game, as well.

This has been an incredible season. Sad it's being cheapened by the trolls.

Latest posts