The computers and Boise St.

HawkKing81

Last year Boise St beat Oregon but still finished lower than Oregon in the computer rankings.

If Boise St isn't ranked in the top 2 of the human polls, they won't make the BCS championship.

Last edited:
Last year Boise St got beat by Oregon but still finished lower in the computer rankings than Oregon.

If Boise St isn't ranked in the top 2 of the human polls, they won't make the BCS championship.

**Boise State beat Oregon last year you mean.

NP. I was gonna rip you for it, but decided to assist instead..lol. I agree that if we win out, or any other BCS school for that matter, then we shouldn't have anything to worry about. The thing that does worry me though would be the human element. Voters trying to push Boise State into the title game, thus giving BSU they're #1 ranking and possibly ranking Iowa or whoever it could be lower than they actually deserve to, to try and compensate for the computer aspect like schedule of strength.

Boise and Oregon were actually tied for 6th last year. But Boise was ranked behind every other undefeated team in the computer polls, including TCU.

The Harris Poll won't come out until mid October, with the first BCS poll. Boise beat a Top 10 opponent that was pretty much a road game. They should beat Oregon State, their only other ranked opponent.

If they win out, I think they will make up one half of the BCS title game picture. Right now, for them not to win out would be an 'upset'.

Oregon State will drop out of polls this week. Highly doubt beating Louisville would get them back in. Accordingly, I doubt they will be ranked when they play Boise.

I wasn't real impressed with either team last night. But now Boise will roll over the rest of their cupcakes and end up undefeated and undeservedly in the championship game.

I wasn't real impressed with either team last night. But now Boise will roll over the rest of their cupcakes and end up undefeated and undeservedly in the championship game.

Gotta respect the guts it takes to play a quality opponent first game of the year. Can't stand boise but neither team was an EIU warmup game.

Gotta respect the guts it takes to play a quality opponent first game of the year. Can't stand boise but neither team was an EIU warmup game.

The fact remains that one (or even two) quality opponent(s) does not a championship contender make.

Last night was Boise St's season, because that was very possibly their only quality opponent. Even with Oregon St, it doesn't begin to add up to worthy of the attention they are getting.

I respect them and they have a very good team... but they gotta play a real schedule... or there's gotta be a playoff. It just wouldn't be right to let them into the title game with wins against Louisiana Tech, Idaho and the rest of their joke of a schedule.

I dont think Boise State makes the BCS title game if there are two undefeated automatic qualifying conference teams. The computers would hold them back. I think if Bosie State was number 1 in both polls and lets say Oklahoma and Iowa were 2 and 3, both would jump BSU due to computer rankings.

Bottom line for BSU to make the title game they need most if not all automatic qualifying teams to have at least one loss.

I guess we have to root for VT to have a bad year.
I think that VT is a three to four loss team, so I don't think playing VT will have a huge boost for BSU. The game will help, but I don't think that they will get a huge boost from it.

I think it's pretty apparent that Boise State would struggle in a major conference. They would no doubt be an upper division team, but to go through any of the major conferences without a loss is pretty doubtful.

I have to give them credit for showing the resolve to come back last night and pull out a W.

I just don't think an team with their schedule should jump an undefeated BCS school or 1 loss team from SEC, B10 or B12.

I doubt by season's end VT will be back in the Top 10 and Oregon St may not be in Top 25 come December either, so what has BSU done?

I believe the human pollsters will do what they can to ensure BSU does not jump 1 of the above.

I have to give them credit for showing the resolve to come back last night and pull out a W.

^
This is what's wrong with Boise St and the attention they're receiving.

They were up 17-0 and have like 20 returning starters against a VTech team who had quite a few new starters.

Yet, instead of criticism, BSU get praise for having to come from behind to win in the last couple of minutes. :rolleyes:

^

They were up 17-0 and have like 20 returning starters against a VTech team who had quite a few new starters.

Yet, instead of criticism, BSU get praise for having to come from behind to win in the last couple of minutes. :rolleyes:

Agreed. Tech outplayed them after they finished playing like a bunch of dummies. I haven't even looked @ VTech's schedule, but let's also watch them real close as the season playes out. If they lose 3-4 games, that would dramatically shade my vote (if I were a voter). Beating a 6-6 Beaver team wouldn't impress me much either...

But it is a bit sad to see that a team is already being penciled into the BCS title game after week 1 - a testimony to their weak schedule...

These things usually work themselves out...but I'd have trouble putting BSU in the title game over a 1-loss team that had to bring their A game 7-8 times on the year...

I would tend to agree that I don't like all the hype they get for playing in a weaker conference, but I would almost gurantee that if BSU is one of two undefeated teams at the end of the year they will be in the NC game over a 1 loss team from a major conference, and I wouldn't be able to argue that. They would have taken care of business, and did everything they had to do to get there. Regardless of their schedule.

I agree in that I think the computers will keep them out. And yes they did blow a 17 point lead that was a result of terrible play by Va Tech. They were dominated after the first quarter and received two BS calls in the final couple of minutes. Not to mention that Boise is able to throw everything into this one game, similar to a bowl game. If they had to play teams from a BCS Conf every week, they would be staring at a minimum of 3 losses.

^

Haven't we exchanged ideas before syl? :D

Yeah, it pisses me off that they won and VT basically handed it to them. Why pass a bomb on the third down play when trying to run the clock. Play conservative and then throw up a prayer? Plus they called a timeout earlier when there were over 20 Seconds on the play clock. But they still did what they had to do. All the love from national media is pretty annoying though.

The computers may be tough on them, but I think the Harris poll guys would love to give them a shot against a top notch program.

Latest posts